recipe for extract IPA please

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

recipe for extract IPA please

Postby Cadbury » Tuesday Sep 01, 2009 11:42 am

G'day men,
I have about 10kg of dry malt(given to me!) I want to use some of it to make an IPA. I would also like to steep some grains to give a better flavour. Does anyone have a recipe that fits the bill. To those people that helped me with a pilsner recipe, I'm putting it down this Friday. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks
Cadbury
Cadbury

Re: recipe for extract IPA please

Postby drsmurto » Tuesday Sep 01, 2009 12:00 pm

English or American?

English IPA
extract to hit desired OG using beersmith (sorry, dont have it at work - i'd be aiming for around 1.058)
200g medium crystal malt
100g pale choc malt (optional - i like my IPAs a little darker than most)

Hops - i love the all challenger IPA i made recently. Also like to combine Fuggles/EKG/Styrian Goldings in varying ratios.

60 min addition to get at least 2/3rds of your desired IBUs. I'd be aiming for 50-55.
15 min addition at 1g/L
0 min addition at 1g/L

Yeast - if you want dry go S-04 or nottingham.

If you want to make an american IPA you could use the same malts. Hops in an AIPA dominant malt so you should add a huge chunk of hops (american hops - cascade, amarillo, centennial, simcoe, chinook etc) late in the boil still aiming for 50-55 IBU. US05 yeast.
drsmurto

Postby Bizier » Tuesday Sep 01, 2009 5:40 pm

If you go US, do not stinge on the hops... go big and bold and perhaps swap some DME out for a little dex to dry it a little, and ferment starting cold and only warm it up to finish the last remnants of fermentable sugar.

It is hard to go wrong with a US IPA except to have it not hoppy enough.

Look at 45-50g additions as a minimum throughout and multiple varieties if you can.

I like:

Chinook & Columbus early & mid boil
Centennial mid-late
Cascade late boil

Dry hop with all above :)

ED: and I think if you add amarillo, do it at flameout because if you do big 30-10 additions you can get fruit cup crush.
Bizier

Postby Cadbury » Tuesday Sep 01, 2009 7:43 pm

Thanks, that gives me something to work with.
Cadbury
Cadbury

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Sep 02, 2009 10:51 am

Imperial India Pale Ale (aka Imperial Landlord)
2 x tins Coopers Lager
1.5kg LDME
Hops
20 min - 15g each of Fuggles, EKG and Styrian Goldings
10 min - 15g each of Fuggles, EKG and Styrian Goldings
0 min - 25g each of Fuggles, EKG and Styrian Goldings
Dry hop - 20g each of EKG and Styrian Goldings
Yeast - US05

Top up to 20L for OG 1.078, IBU ~ 70, ABV ~7.5% (these numbers i my best guess as its hard to work out utilisation with such a small boil volume and so many hops - the bigger the boil the more accurate the guesstimate you can make using beersmith).

Its a kits and bits version of my AG IIPA that scored 42/50 at SABSOSA last year. To go extract sub the coopers lager tins for the equivalent weight of LME and add a 60 min addition of a high AA% hop to hit the target IBU. You could also steep some pale chocolate malt for extra character and colour - 200g.

Its a pretty big beer but its ages well, it lasted nearly a year in my hands when i only had a bottle every now and then.

I currently have an American Rye IPA on tap that i probably should have bottled. At 6.7% its not a session beer!
drsmurto