Thomas Cooper's Pilsner, fermentation/conditioning schedule?

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Thomas Cooper's Pilsner, fermentation/conditioning schedule?

Postby Artichoke » Sunday Jan 11, 2009 4:19 am

Hi folks,

I started a Thomas Cooper's pilsner as per the can instructions (500 g LDME + 300g dex, made up to 23L, used the supplied lager yeast) on Jan 1, 2009. It's been fermenting in the primary since that time @ < 17 degrees C (basement temp is very stable between 16-17 degrees C).

For those of you who have experience with this kit, what fermentation schedule do you normally follow, i.e. how long in primary / secondary / bottle before the beer is ready to drink, and what temperatures do you normally keep this brew at during the primary/secondary/bottle conditioning phases? Would love hear about your experiences and what kind of results I might expect with the finished brew.

Thanks,

- Artichoke.
Artichoke

Re: Thomas Cooper's Pilsner, fermentation/conditioning schedule?

Postby Artichoke » Sunday Jan 18, 2009 3:55 am

Allright, updating for the record in case anyone is interested in the progress. Racked to secondary this morning after 18 days in the primary. Temperature has been a steady 16.4 degrees C throughout the primary fermentation process. No sulphury stench was present during fermentation as others have mentioned sometimes happens with this kit. The pilsner is surprisingly clear and the primary fermenter is surprisingly clean - barely a ring around the top as I'm used to when I ferment ales. Not so much trub on the bottom as I'm used to either, presumably due to the low starting gravity of the beer. I am impressed with the flavour so far, nice and clean, light and pleasantly hoppy.

The plan is to let it sit in the secondary for another 2 weeks @ 16-17 degrees C, bulk prime with 1 cup dextrose, then bottle and condition at room temp for a month or so before drinking.

- Artichoke
Artichoke

Postby hirns » Thursday May 07, 2009 8:58 pm

Well what happened?????????????? :lol:
hirns

Postby Artichoke » Saturday May 16, 2009 12:13 am

It made a very drinkable, but unremarkable, light and clear beer. I wouldn't do this kit K&K again. If I made it again I would be sure to add some aroma hops as there was almost 0 hop aroma and flavor in this kit. After doing many of the Cooper's kits I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised and this is the expected result.

On a related note, I've got a can of the Thomas Cooper's wheat beer ready to go - should I bother doing this K&K or does it need to be tweaked for best results? I suspect the latter, I would love to hear any and all posters who have experience with this kit relay their experiences.

- Artichoke
Artichoke

Postby wrighty » Saturday May 16, 2009 4:04 am

Gday from orstralya. Coopers kits are good but the instructions are shite,burn em :twisted:
wheat beer -go the search theres some rippers on here.All kits need to be beefed up
500g wont add much guts at least a kilo and hops in a small boil adds even more.

Cheers Wrighty.
Im not an alchoholic i dont go to the meetings !
wrighty

Return to Recipes