Timothy Taylor Landlord

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Re: Timothy Taylor Landlord

Postby hirns » Saturday Oct 22, 2011 8:54 am

Doc,

Without having to go back through the 13 pages of this post; can I ask if you rack this beer and if so when? I find that the 1469 krausen takes forever and a day to drop.

Cheers

Hirns
hirns

Postby drsmurto » Monday Oct 24, 2011 9:39 am

Yes, I am a racker. Generally 14 days for an ale but the last batch only had 9 days. Then cold condition for a week or more before bottling/kegging.

WY1469 does take a while to drop, perfect for top cropping.

Got lots of good feedback on the Landlord through the handpump on Saturday night. Was basically flat and warm.
drsmurto

Postby hirns » Monday Oct 24, 2011 9:30 pm

Thanks Doc,

last time I waited three weeks for it to drop(never seen the likes of it).

Thanks

Hirns
hirns

Postby rotten » Monday Oct 24, 2011 10:26 pm

Gday Hirns.
I used 1469 heaps when it was released last year and racked it at about 7-10 day mark, I normally cc'd before and after racking though. I did wait ages for the first one to drop, it never did.
I need to brew this again soon, the fresh pack talks to me every time I open the fridge. Need more hops though :o

Cheers
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Postby Oliver » Friday Mar 01, 2013 12:08 pm

DrSmurto,

Would you mind posting the latest incarnation of TTL here as I'm planning to brew it next week.

I am assuming it would have changed since the first post in this thread, back in 2008 :-)

That recipe was:

3.75 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 92.59 %
0.30 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 7.41 %
45.00 gm Fuggles [4.40 %] (60 min) Hops 25.2 IBU
30.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.50 %] (20 min) Hops 10.4 IBU
30.00 gm Styrian Goldings [4.70 %] (20 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs TTL (Wyeast #1469) [Starter 2000 ml] Yeast-Ale

20L - OG 1.044, IBU 35.6, EBC 9.6

Mashed in at 65, mash out 78.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby drsmurto » Tuesday Mar 05, 2013 12:38 pm

Yes, it is different these days

97% Thomas Fawcetts MO or GP
3% Dark crystal
Fuggles @ 60 to 30 IBU total
1g/L EKG @ 20
1.5g/L Styrian Goldings @ 0
WY1469
OG 1.044
65C Mash

Oliver wrote:DrSmurto,

Would you mind posting the latest incarnation of TTL here as I'm planning to brew it next week.

I am assuming it would have changed since the first post in this thread, back in 2008 :-)

That recipe was:

3.75 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 92.59 %
0.30 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 7.41 %
45.00 gm Fuggles [4.40 %] (60 min) Hops 25.2 IBU
30.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.50 %] (20 min) Hops 10.4 IBU
30.00 gm Styrian Goldings [4.70 %] (20 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs TTL (Wyeast #1469) [Starter 2000 ml] Yeast-Ale

20L - OG 1.044, IBU 35.6, EBC 9.6

Mashed in at 65, mash out 78.

Cheers,

Oliver
drsmurto

RE: Timothy Taylor Landlord water profile/additions

Postby billy bignutz » Tuesday Mar 03, 2015 9:20 am

Water profile and additions.
Hi Dr Smurto (or anyone that does water additions). I noticed some time back that you said you were going to tank water and would have to start adding salts. I have no choice but use tank water and water additions as I live rural and was wondering what water profile you use and what additions for your particular volumes of mash in and sparge waters. Being a light coloured ale my calculations require a lot of acid additions to get the PH down.

I am really looking forward to my first attempt at this brew - a 50L batch straight off.
billy bignutz

Re: RE: Timothy Taylor Landlord water profile/additions

Postby drsmurto » Tuesday Mar 10, 2015 8:25 pm

billy bignutz wrote:Water profile and additions.
Hi Dr Smurto (or anyone that does water additions). I noticed some time back that you said you were going to tank water and would have to start adding salts. I have no choice but use tank water and water additions as I live rural and was wondering what water profile you use and what additions for your particular volumes of mash in and sparge waters. Being a light coloured ale my calculations require a lot of acid additions to get the PH down.

I am really looking forward to my first attempt at this brew - a 50L batch straight off.

Not a fan of calculating pH, the buffering capacity of the malt itself is ignored. Designed by engineers whose total knowledge of chemical equilibria could be chiselled on a grain of rice with a shovel. Along with their understanding of chemistry in general. But i digress. Measure the pH. If it is out (and i would wager it probably is not) then you can attempt to adjust the pH.

Yes, I've been using tank water for a number of years now and always adjust the chemical profile to suit the brew i am doing. For the Landlord I use my 'Yorkshire' profile. When i talk about profiles these are not historical water profiles which I'd wager no commercial brewery actually uses but a profile I have created to favour a particular flavour or style. In general, sulfate for hoppy beers, chloride for malty beers. An oversimplification but it works. My most common water profile is called 'Balanced' and is designed for the vast majority of my beers which are brew to be balanced between malt and hops. This profile has a sulfate:chloride ratio of ~1:1.

My Yorkshire profile for 35L of tank water (<0.1 ppm of the brewing relevant salts as measured via ICPMS) requires 5g of calcium sulfate, 6g of calcium chloride and 3g of calcium carbonate. The way i tend to deal with this is dissolve the calcium sulfate and chloride in the 35L of water and dispense from this for the mash and sparge water. I add the calcium carbonate to the kettle as it doesn't dissolve in water at neutral pH. Another way of adding the salts is to calculate how much water you need for the mash as a % of the total water and add that % of the salts. Add the rest to the tun when the sparge water goes in (assuming a single batch sparge).

I would advise putting your tank water through a carbon filter before using it for brewing to strip out any organics/biological contaminants in there. My water tastes pretty good and i often drink it unfiltered but i still run it through a carbon filter for brewing (and for the espresso machine).
drsmurto

Postby Autonomous Collective » Friday Jul 03, 2015 3:43 pm

G'Day all

I'm newly joined to the forum having popped in every now and then to look at recipes etc. I completed one of these TTL brews a few weeks back. I have to say it was the best tasting brew I have ever completed, it also gets better as it warms up unlike most of the muck you buy in the pub or bottello. A mate of mine and I quaffed the lot in under 10 days it was so tasty. Just done an Irish Red and heading back to the TTL again to fill up the fridge.

Excellent forum you have here well done. You may see quite a bit more from me.

Cheers
AC
Autonomous Collective

Postby Guru » Saturday Jul 04, 2015 2:59 pm

Welcome aboard.
Guru

Previous

Return to Recipes