Timothy Taylor Landlord

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Re: Timothy Taylor Landlord

Postby hirns » Monday Sep 06, 2010 8:54 pm

Wow! Just lost a whole post in a way never experienced. Uploaded it all went good. Went to the forum menu, read a post and jumped back and there's Speedy's response :shock: . Can only think that I must have hit preview (have not had a beer tonight, serves me right :lol: )

RETYPE:

Thank's Dr.Smurto for your response. The proculture has behaved as you've described, very vigourous fermentation with a large krausen, will add that it takes forever to floc (i.e., the krausen (three weeks)) with your TTL recipe. I haven't ever tried the Wyeast version so I cannot directly compare. Thanks for the info on the re-release date; will have to get ready for an order with Ross.

Speedy, had already kegged this beer(hence the empty fermentor). The beer did taste and smell fine. It only takes 10min to keg and gas. I'm not going to bin a Saturday's worth of brewing an all grain batch when there may be nothing wrong with it. If after some conditioning odd flavours or smells develop then I'll tip her out.

Cheers

Hirns
hirns

Postby lethaldog » Monday Sep 06, 2010 10:24 pm

As stated earlier, if it smells and tastes fine then it probably is, if there was an infection you would know, ive only had one infection to date ( touch wood) and it was obvious that there was something seriously wrong. :wink:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby rotten » Monday Sep 06, 2010 11:27 pm

G'day drsmurto.
I have been researching this thread for some time, and are ready to order what I need to put one down. In your humble opinion, would you recommend my 1st attempt of the TTL to be your 3rd recipe at the very start of the thread, Fuggles, East Kent Goldings (1.5 gl), Styrian Goldings (1.5 gl)? OR the modified recipe with the Fuggles, EKG (east kent goldings? 1 gl) , Styrian Goldings (1 gl)?
I have never tried any of these hops before, will hopefully be able to source 1469 for the yeast.
Cheers
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Postby drsmurto » Tuesday Sep 07, 2010 11:29 am

Use the first schedule with the lower amounts of late additions.

Just make sure you get the real Fuggles, EKG and styrian goldings not the kiwi versions which are rubbish.

If you can hold out till October 1st for the re-release of Wyeast 1469 you wont be disappointed.

I've used 1968, 1098 and 1187 instead of 1469 in this recipe and the 1469 is the winner. 1187 is my preferred backup should you not be able to get 1469 and I have heard lots of good things about the Proculture alternative.
drsmurto

Postby rotten » Tuesday Sep 07, 2010 4:18 pm

Thanks drsmurto. I can wait a few weeks. Will make another golden ale if I must :wink:
Cheers
rotten

Postby Planner » Wednesday Sep 08, 2010 2:51 pm

This recipe is quickly elbowing its' way to the top of the brew list. Last night I revisited the commercial drop after nearly 12months.
My beer tastes must be changing, last year I thought this was just an average drop not worth the hype, last night I drank 2 and considered going back to DM for more, I enjoyed them that much.
I will probably wait for G&G to get in the WY1469, hey if I'm gunna use a liquid for the first time, I may as well use the one most recommended.
Nothing interesting to see here, move along.
Planner

Postby bullfrog » Wednesday Sep 08, 2010 4:01 pm

I'm surprised that you can get them at your DM. I've been thinking of brewing this recipe just because I can't find the commercial variety and would like to know what the hype is about.
bullfrog

Postby Planner » Wednesday Sep 08, 2010 4:15 pm

bullfrog wrote:I'm surprised that you can get them at your DM.

Sorry Bullfrog, I did say DM :oops:
I went to DM last night only to find they didn't stock it, collected a couple of other english ales and left. I then walked across the road to 1st choice and collected another couple of english ales, including the TTL's

1st choice did have Speckled Hen cheap in shepp, so I grabbed an armful. Also grabbed a "Courage Directors Special" (I think that's it's name) which I really enjoyed.
Nothing interesting to see here, move along.
Planner

Postby bullfrog » Wednesday Sep 08, 2010 4:24 pm

Bah, don't have a 1st Choice near me. Only other bottle-o's are Liquorland and Cellarbrations which are absolutely bloody awful so my only decent option is DM. Hmm, might pop down there anyway and see what else I can find -- I feel a "research" night coming on! :P
bullfrog

Postby earle » Wednesday Sep 08, 2010 4:31 pm

My 'local' DM has Courage Directors Special, only 150km away so hopefully you'll find it at yours. Last time I was there they also had Fransikaner Weizen and Dunkelweizen. Might have to crack the Dunlelweizen tonight to celebrate passing the last subject of my Masters
Last edited by earle on Wednesday Sep 08, 2010 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earle

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Sep 08, 2010 4:38 pm

I've found TTL at 2 places in Adelaide. One was a Cellarbrations although it was a hit and miss venture as their stock of english beers changed monthly.

The other place is the Wheatsheaf hotel.

Never seen it at DM.
drsmurto

Postby SuperBroo » Wednesday Sep 08, 2010 4:49 pm

s'posed to be a DM opening here in Bunbury - hope so, cant wait to try / brew a TTL after watching this thread,
SuperBroo

Postby hirns » Tuesday Oct 12, 2010 8:35 pm

I want to say a very big public thankyou to Dr. Smurto for firstly posting the recipe and for your advice during the brewing process. This beer has ended up being my turning point in my all grain brewing. Before this particular all grain brew, the others had all tasted very similar (like cardboard). I have managed to wreck a goldern ale, a Kolch, a Cooper's P.A, a LCBA and a LCPA, TL's SNPA and a previous TTL among others. Despite careful brewdays and meeting specific gravities and efficiencies I missed somewhere along the line the notion of boiling with the lid off! At least it was a simple fix. However, after sampling a bottle of TTL from First Choice outlet on my last holidays, I was not impressed at all and was thinking that I've brewed a beer that will not be to my taste .

On the weekend I cracked the first of the drsmurto's TTL's, I don't think I've ever ran so fast to place another beer is the fridge to chill. This would have to be the nicest of any beer that I've tasted anywhere. I also have a whole keg of this stuff! Despite the rave reviews about drsmurto's GA, I think that it would be difficult to better this beer! I guess I'm going to have to find out by starting from the beginning of my recipe list for the second time. Thank to all who have given me such wonderful advice and support on this foru :D m.

Hirns.
hirns

Postby hirns » Tuesday Oct 12, 2010 8:35 pm

Double post.. So slow to load!
Hirns.
hirns

Postby rotten » Tuesday Oct 12, 2010 8:49 pm

Good onya hirns.
My AG list to start is in some ways similar to yours. GA, TL SNPA and then my own bohemien and Steem Beers. TTL is still on my list, just after a few lawnmower beers of my own design. I didn't get the cardboard taste, the SNPA had a strong presence first up tonight as a first taste, but is still only young. How would you as a new AG brewer describe the flavour or feel? I would be very interested to hear your interpretation before I order ingredients.
Cheers
rotten

Postby hirns » Wednesday Oct 13, 2010 9:12 pm

Rotten, I don't like to venture into beer judging as I suck at being able to desribe specific flavours and hops and won't prattle about something that I know little about. Despite this I don't smoke and believe that I have very discerning taste buds, just need to learn the correct lingo for what is what. I have a pretty soild experience with trying most of the Australian boutique and popular internationals and very rarely drink megaswill. I would say that the commercial beer that I've experienced closest to the style is James Squire Golden ale. If you like the golden ale then you should love this. Having said that the yeast gives this beer a distintive taste (see craft brewer description) and the hops are more subtle then the distinct Amarillo flavour of the GA. Sorry others with more experience will give you a better discription. I just know that from my tasting experience, to me this has turned out right! I have googled TTL tasting notes:

Timothy Taylor Brewery is heralded as one of the greatest British brewers of our time, taking out Champion Beer of Britain at the Great British Beer Festival on four separate occasions for their flagship beer Landlord Pale Ale. Brewing traditional English Ales since 1858, and since 1863 at their current location in Knowle Springs, Timothy Taylor boasts to have never spent a penny on marketing – instead relying solely on the stellar reputation of their beers to promote themselves.

Landlord has been heralded by many British writers as the greatest English Bitter (or even beer) ever brewed, and, while to some extent this may be rather self indulgent of them, we tend to agree. It is also well known for its appeal to women and celebrities - when Madonna found that none of her locals served it, she began ordering barrels directly to her home.

What sets Landlord apart and ahead from others in its league is an incredible balance - a modest malt character that is never cloying, and a firm resiny bitterness that is crisp but not overwhelming. Lifted by ethereal perfume-like hop aromatics, a slight fruitness, and the hard limestone-filtered water typical of English beers, we encourage everyone to try it, as with all real ales, while it is at its freshest.

TTL WEBSITE: http://www.timothytaylor.co.uk/OurProdu ... dlord.aspx

Final Note: JUST order the ingredients, if you don't like it ship the ke :D g to me!

Cheers

Hirns
hirns

Postby rotten » Wednesday Oct 13, 2010 9:55 pm

hirns wrote:Final Note: JUST order the ingredients, if you don't like it ship the ke g to me!

HA HA!!
Not likely after that description. I really liked JSGA, it's a bit sweeter than my DSGA that I'm drinking right now. Enough said, ingredients to order.

Thanks Hirns, you get an A+
Cheers
rotten

Postby hirns » Wednesday Oct 13, 2010 10:05 pm

Will add that I suggest that you bottle a few (for culturing) as it has been very hard to get this yeast until recently. The yeast seems to be a seasonal release at best. I used proculture, but I know Ross has the Wyeast back in stock.

Cheers 8)

Hirns
hirns

Postby rotten » Wednesday Oct 13, 2010 10:08 pm

I will bottle close to 28, don't keg yet. I had received an e-mail last week saying 1469 was back, better order before it's gone :o
rotten

Postby rotten » Wednesday Oct 13, 2010 10:15 pm

Bugger, it's out of stock already!! Whats that proculture yeast you speak of?
Cheers
rotten

PreviousNext

Return to Recipes