Timothy Taylor Landlord

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Re: Timothy Taylor Landlord

Postby drsmurto » Tuesday Jan 19, 2010 9:04 am

Awesome news!

PM sent, always happy to sample other peoples beer :lol:

Lower then normal carbonation is how it should be served IMO. And warm. 10-12C.

I just bumped my next Landlord a few places up the list, its been months since my last one :(
drsmurto

Postby chadjaja » Tuesday Jan 19, 2010 9:45 am

Well after bottling from the keg it should lose carbonation and you can drink it as warm as you want LOL

I don't have a dual regulator so my beers are all carbed on the middle ground so my wheats are under carbed and my TTL over carbed. I'll get a bottle to you this week Dr. :D
chadjaja

Postby gregb » Tuesday Jan 19, 2010 11:07 am

chadjaja wrote:I don't have a dual regulator so ...

Easily fixed. :D
gregb

Postby chadjaja » Tuesday Jan 19, 2010 6:32 pm

The minister for finance said beers all carbed at the same level is acceptable :(

What she doesn't know is the approval for the pre chiller and pond pump project :lol: :lol:
chadjaja

Postby Trough Lolly » Wednesday Jan 20, 2010 3:12 pm

drsmurto wrote:I dont have any pics on hand to illustrate but picture this.

My HLT sits on 2 milk crates so is higher than my mash tun by ~60cm.

The hot water runs out of the HLT and is gravity fed into the tap of the mash tun which contains the grain.

So the water comes in underneath the grain.

Underletting.

Once all the water is in i stir for a few mins and voila. No dough balls.

As a fellow "underletter" I found my beers cleared up even moreso than before - 80% is still my typical efficiency and it greatly increases the chance of a floating mash that makes sparging a breeze....oh and no doughballs as Doc suggested. Dough in is much faster and keep an eye on your mash temp because I've found that I lose less temperature in the strike water if I underlet so its possible that you may overshoot your target mash temp for the first couple of goes. Your system my vary etc etc.

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby chadjaja » Wednesday Jan 20, 2010 6:40 pm

hmm giving me ideas, if only I had the ball valve on my MT to make it easier. Still I guess I could put the tubing right to the bottom of the MT and turn on the HLT tap?

TTL gets posted out tomorrow Doc, this sucker still isn't too clear after gelatine in secondary and cold crashed. I didn't have any whirlfloc though when brewed and all the trub pretty much went into the fermenter as it was one of my last brews done in split batch stove boil before I got my new urn :(

Still i'm enjoying it. The malts a bit lacking and its not a clone from memory but I'll let you pick holes in it so I can learn and make adjustments. Just look for the different cap :wink:
chadjaja

Postby drsmurto » Thursday Jan 21, 2010 9:30 am

What is your mash tun? An esky or a pot?

Get yourself a ball valve to make it nice and simple.

I brew early mornings (well, early for me). the night before i fill the HLT with the exact L of mash in water, crush the grain and put it in the mash tun. Silicon tubing between the HLT and mash tun. HLT on a timer.

When i get up the HLT is at the correct temperature so all i need to do is open the 2 taps. A few minutes later the HLT is empty so add the sparge water to it and adjust the temperature. Stir the mash/water for a few mins and check temperature.

Go back to bed for 90 mins. :lol:
drsmurto

Postby chadjaja » Thursday Jan 21, 2010 9:39 am

I have an esky, here is my set up. One of the guys mentioned that Mitre 10 had ball valves at some ridiculous price so I'll check it out. I need to get silicone hose to fit my urn tap unless I put a ball valve on that too.

And damn you are some lazy assed dude. I just about clean the entire house whilst mashing and sparging so when all done I relax in a clean house. Probably the reason my missus condones my brewing so much :lol:

chadjaja

Postby drsmurto » Thursday Jan 21, 2010 10:15 am

Lazy when it comes to brewing, on occasion, yes. I like to keep things simple and relaxed when brewing. Its a hobby that was heading towards obsession until i rained it back to being a hobby. From mash in to a clean brewery its 4.5 hours and during that time i often do other things around the house or as has been the case recently, sit on the couch and watch the cricket!

When i am home alone brewing i tend to spend more time in the brewery doing stuff but when its the weekend and my partner is home i try not to let it interfere with my life. I also tend to do decoctions when home alone as its a lengthy process and one that requires more attention.

If i was you i would have a hole drilled in the urn and a ball valve inserted. The esky already has a drain hole which can easily handle a ball valve which is how mine is setup. You need bulkheads for this so check out here for the parts you need but i suspect you can get them from hardware and/or plumbing stores - Link 1, Link 2
drsmurto

Postby chadjaja » Thursday Jan 21, 2010 10:33 am

From my understanding its even simpler, the Birko urn tap unscrews and a ball lock can be fitted pretty easy. I also want to put an elbow on it as currently there is 2.5L's of water that sits below the tap line. Good for trub but not great for sparging amounts, I simply put in the 2.5L's and then add the water required to break even.

Just bottled your TTL, pretty simple line from the tap to the bottom of a chilled bottle and capped on foam with minimal headspace. Not the greatest bottling method but its the best I can do.
chadjaja

Postby drsmurto » Thursday Jan 21, 2010 12:02 pm

The tap of my urn (HLT) is higher than the bottom. I have a pick-up tube so that the amount of water left behind is negligible.

Looking forward to the TTL.
drsmurto

Postby drsmurto » Monday Jan 25, 2010 6:36 pm

Picked up the bottle today - nice to see it bottled in an authentic container!

Will drink it ASAP and get back to you.

Just drinking a golden ale now sent to me by another brewer. I love being tasked with the job of providing feedback on peoples beer. Its a tough job :lol:
drsmurto

Postby Elbow » Monday Feb 15, 2010 12:03 pm

Anyone recommend a suitbale replacement for Wyeast 1469? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
Interests: Liverpool FC, Beer, Music, My Wife. Not neccarily in that order...:)
Elbow

Postby drsmurto » Monday Feb 15, 2010 1:11 pm

Wyeast 1469 is a limited edition released late 2008.

It will hopefully be released again.

A few alternatives are Wyeast 1968 (ESB) or 1187 (Ringwood).

I've used Ringwood a lot and it produces a very nice beer IMO.
drsmurto

Postby warra48 » Monday Feb 15, 2010 2:15 pm

drsmurto wrote:Wyeast 1469 is a limited edition released late 2008.

It will hopefully be released again.

A few alternatives are Wyeast 1968 (ESB) or 1187 (Ringwood).

I've used Ringwood a lot and it produces a very nice beer IMO.

I've made a few brews with WY1469, but I've come to the conclusion that for me it is not my favourite yeast.
The closest to it would probably be 1187 Ringwood.

I do particularly like WY1968. I have a Mild in the fermenter at present, and it is a hungry beast. It ate through the batch inside 3 days. It gives you a particularly malty brew, perfect for a low OG Mild.
warra48

Postby Elbow » Monday Feb 15, 2010 2:28 pm

Choices, choices! From what I've read, they are both need a bit TLC, eg. good size starter and a bit of swirling.
Interests: Liverpool FC, Beer, Music, My Wife. Not neccarily in that order...:)
Elbow

Postby chadjaja » Monday Feb 15, 2010 4:44 pm

I made mine with 1028 and just raised the temp a little to give it a bit more character. Dr Smurto still thought it was an OK beer.
chadjaja

Postby drsmurto » Tuesday Feb 16, 2010 9:40 am

I gave it a better rating than just OK Chadjaja.... :!:
drsmurto

Postby chadjaja » Tuesday Feb 16, 2010 3:53 pm

LOL :P :D

OK in the sense it was one of the best brews he's ever had! (too far?) LMAO
chadjaja

Postby Planner » Tuesday Feb 16, 2010 4:04 pm

chadjaja wrote:OK in the sense it was one of the best brews he's ever had! (too far?) LMAO

Chadaja

Never too far, HB'ers are as modest as fisherman (and often as truthful).

Planner
Nothing interesting to see here, move along.
Planner

PreviousNext

Return to Recipes