Timothy Taylor Landlord

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Re: Timothy Taylor Landlord

Postby Elbow » Wednesday Feb 17, 2010 8:13 am

chadjaja wrote:I made mine with 1028 and just raised the temp a little to give it a bit more character. Dr Smurto still thought it was an OK beer.

In the end, from the three (1187, 1028 and 1968) I plumped for 1968. I used a very scientific method for selecting this strain. 1968 was a great year for albums. Did the Beach Boys, Beatles, Hendrix, Dylan and The Who release great music in 1187 or 1028? Exactly.
Interests: Liverpool FC, Beer, Music, My Wife. Not neccarily in that order...:)
Elbow

Postby Elbow » Sunday Jun 13, 2010 5:43 pm

This is pretty much gone now and all I can say is it's a winner! It's the first of the half dozen or so AG brews I've done where I've thought "ah yes, this is why".

I think i'll make this one a house beer!
Interests: Liverpool FC, Beer, Music, My Wife. Not neccarily in that order...:)
Elbow

Postby drsmurto » Tuesday Jun 15, 2010 12:21 pm

Elbow wrote:This is pretty much gone now and all I can say is it's a winner! It's the first of the half dozen or so AG brews I've done where I've thought "ah yes, this is why".

I think i'll make this one a house beer!

Nice!

Racked another batch of this yesterday so should be in tap in 2 weeks time.
drsmurto

Postby hirns » Tuesday Jul 06, 2010 9:42 pm

Doc, where are you now at with this beer? Would love to see you latest adaptations(recipe) if any of this beer!
I have the sacred yeast ready to go and Ross has just finished moving shop! I'm ready to order!!! :P

Hirns
hirns

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Jul 07, 2010 12:23 pm

Latest batch is on tap now.

97% Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcetts Floor Malted)
3% Weyermann Carabohemian
Fuggles @ 60 (adjust this to achieve a total of 30 IBU)
1g/L EKG @ 20 mins
1g/L Styrian Goldings @ 0 mins (and not the kiwi version which is rubbish)
WY1469

Mash at 66C.

Not sure if this is the best version to date as I have made so many over the past 3 years but if it isn't it's right up there. I certainly love it and it's not going to last long at the current rate of consumption :lol:

My next attempt is to see just what the Graham Wheeler hop schedule turns out like (from How to brew your own real ale at home) - Bitter with EKG/styrian goldings and use styrian goldings 1g/L @ 10 mins.
drsmurto

Postby hirns » Wednesday Jul 07, 2010 6:53 pm

A sincerly take my hat off and thankyou for the generation and open sharing of your outstanding brews, advice and knowledge :D :D :D

Hirns.
hirns

Postby hirns » Saturday Jul 17, 2010 9:49 am

I have a plasic bottle (50ml) of the Proculture yeast. As it's so hard to get this and this will be my first batch, I'm thinking of sterilising the bottle, hands etc and pouring only half into a starter and then replacing the lid and resoring the second half for later in the fridge. Will this be okay provided I maintain a clean regime? Read about people splitting smak packs, but I don't see the need for two smaler starters in this case.

Hirns
hirns

Postby drsmurto » Monday Jul 19, 2010 12:15 pm

You can top crop this yeast very easily or re-use the yeastcake. I currently have both a yeast cake and some top cropped yeast of this strain in the fridge. So far i have made 4 batches from 1 smackpack and in addition to this i have given away one yeastcake and one bottle of top cropped yeast.

If you want to keep some of the original yeast then yes, you could pour of some of it and store it under boiled, cooled water.
drsmurto

Postby hirns » Monday Jul 19, 2010 3:27 pm

Thanks for the reply Doc :) .

Doc, what is your top cropping procedure? I'm assuming that you are opening the fermenter and skimming some of the krausen into a sterilised bottle via sterilised ladle or spoon. Cover the yeast with some cooled boiled water and store refrigerated.

Hirns
Last edited by hirns on Monday Jul 19, 2010 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hirns

Postby drsmurto » Monday Jul 19, 2010 4:05 pm

hirns wrote:Thanks for the reply Doc :) .

Doc, what is your top cropping procedure? I'm assuming that you are oppening the fermenter and skimming some of the krausen into a sterilised bottle via sterilised ladle or spoon. Cover the yeast with some cooled boiled water and store refrigerated.

Hirns

You got a bug in my house? :shock:

Exactly how i do it.

Sanitise everything including my hands, take the lid (in my case clingfilm) off the fermenter, scoop up the krausen with a soup ladle, pour into a funnel into a bottle and wash down with cooled, boiled water. Leave the lid on loosely for 24 hours as it will ferment out any remaining sugars in no time then screw lid tight.

Pure yeast, no trub, no hops, just healthy yeast.

Re-pitch that within a week and it will take off in less than a few hours.

And the best part is you can top crop successive generations for much longer than you can with the yeastcake.
drsmurto

Postby hirns » Monday Jul 19, 2010 6:47 pm

Thanks for that, I wouldn't have thought about leaving the lid loose until the yeast were completely dormant :) .

Hirns
hirns

Postby Neil » Sunday Aug 01, 2010 12:27 pm

drsmurto wrote:Latest batch is on tap now.

97% Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcetts Floor Malted)
3% Weyermann Carabohemian
Fuggles @ 60 (adjust this to achieve a total of 30 IBU)
1g/L EKG @ 20 mins
1g/L Styrian Goldings @ 0 mins (and not the kiwi version which is rubbish)
WY1469

Mash at 66C.

Not sure if this is the best version to date as I have made so many over the past 3 years but if it isn't it's right up there. I certainly love it and it's not going to last long at the current rate of consumption :lol:

My next attempt is to see just what the Graham Wheeler hop schedule turns out like (from How to brew your own real ale at home) - Bitter with EKG/styrian goldings and use styrian goldings 1g/L @ 10 mins.

Doc,
Is there a ready substitute for carabohemian? A combo of munich and crystal, or melanoiden and a light crystal?

Cheers

Neil
Neil

Postby drsmurto » Monday Aug 02, 2010 2:17 pm

Neil wrote:Doc,
Is there a ready substitute for carabohemian? A combo of munich and crystal, or melanoiden and a light crystal?

Cheers

Neil

Bairds medium crystal
Weyermann Caraaroma
Weyermann Caramunich III

At a stretch maybe Joe White dark crystal.

If you cant get any darker crystals then you could up the amount of lighter crystal malts to say 5%.
drsmurto

Postby Neil » Monday Aug 02, 2010 10:36 pm

drsmurto wrote:
Neil wrote:Doc,

Cheers

Neil

Bairds medium crystal
Weyermann Caraaroma
Weyermann Caramunich III

At a stretch maybe Joe White dark crystal.

If you cant get any darker crystals then you could up the amount of lighter crystal malts to say 5%.

Thanks Doc. I do have some cara-aroma so will give that a go.

Cheers
Neil
Neil

Postby hirns » Saturday Sep 04, 2010 2:22 pm

Timothy Taylor yeast - 1469. DrSmurto I have sourced some Proculture 1469 eqivalent which has resulted in a fine tasting beer but I keep getting what appears to be an infection on the sides of the fermentor each time I've used it. It appears only at around week three, (but this was in the primary for four). There is no white scum on the suface of the beer or elsewhere. Hydro samples taste fine. My question is with your experience of this yeast could it be anything else?

hirns

Postby speedie » Saturday Sep 04, 2010 4:59 pm

Is that the surface of your beer?
Don’t look good it is a bit hard to see what is going on but it sure looks like infection
speedie

Postby Bum » Saturday Sep 04, 2010 5:47 pm

It is pretty clearly an empty fermenter, Captain Homebrew.

Doesn't look great but the beer not tasting or smelling bad is a hopeful sign. Never used that one myself so I can't say if it is characteristc or not. I've never had this happen in my fermenter (and don't really know why it might happen in yours) but those growths don't look completely dissimilar to the way yeast can look growing in a dish. Any chance this is all it is rather than an infection? Best of luck with it.

Have you considered racking at say 2 weeks to see if this avoids the issue completely? Obviously not a method I'd suggest to a brewer to avoid an infection but more because you're only having this issue with this strain.
Bum

Postby hirns » Saturday Sep 04, 2010 6:32 pm

Thank's Bum. Yeah, it does look dubious, but at the same time it is almost as if that part of the yeast has simply dehydrated and partially flowered(for want of a better description)

Cheers :)
Hirns
hirns

Postby drsmurto » Monday Sep 06, 2010 11:49 am

hirns wrote:Thank's Bum. Yeah, it does look dubious, but at the same time it is almost as if that part of the yeast has simply dehydrated and partially flowered(for want of a better description)

Cheers :)
Hirns

If it tastes and smells fine then it likely is.

Doesn't look fantastic but as Bum pointed out, krausen ring skum that is dehydrated doesn't look pleasant at the best of times so i wouldn't be too worried.

Have heard the proculture equivalent is very good so let me know how you get on.

The top cropped 1469 i pitched on Saturday afternoon produced a krausen within 2 hours and the morning after was a few cm from escaping the fermenter (20L in a 30L fermenter). Very healthy yeast and easily my favourite.

Planning on timing my brewday later this week to be able to top crop this beer and pitch immediately into another wort. Already 6 beers from the smackpack and with Ross' website saying this strain will be back in stock October 1st i have managed to get between releases on only 2 smackpacks.... and maybe a donated yeastcake or 2 :lol:
drsmurto

Postby speedie » Monday Sep 06, 2010 8:25 pm

If you have any doubt that it is an infection bin it as there is nothing more
Disappointing than doing all that work

And ending up with a bad brew

Seems a waste to do your Saturday in for inferior beer
And it is hard too see what is in your pics
Speedie
:twisted:
speedie

PreviousNext