Wanted - Simple good stout

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Postby Big Al » Monday Sep 20, 2004 7:46 pm

Hi all, I am looking for a good simple stout recipe. I have never made stout before so all info greatly appreciated. (kit, temps, additves, etc). Looking forward to hearing from stout lovers.
Big Al

Postby Oliver » Tuesday Sep 21, 2004 12:11 pm

G'Day Big Al,

One of my best stouts yet was No.38 Carlingford Stout. It was bottled 18 months ago and is still drinking beautifully.

Ingredients
1 can Black Rock Miners' Stout
1 can Morgan's unhopped dark malt extract
150g rolled oats
150g crystal malt
25g Fuggles hop pellets
1 sachet Munton's Gold yeast

BREWING NOTES Brewed to celebrate my move into a new house in Carlingford Street. This was the first brew made in the new place, and coincidentally bottled on the first anniversary of settlement. Yeast starter made 8.3.03. Grains added to about 2 litres of cold water and slowly brought almost to boiling. Strained and added to fermenter. Mark malt extract and half the hops added to water and simmered for 10 minutes. Added the rest of the hops then the lot went into the fermenter. Concentrate dissolved and added to the fermenter.

TASTING NOTES 20.4.03. Delightful. Flowery hop taste and smooth. Lightly carbonated and sooooo tasty. Oliver: “The best stout I've ever made.”

If I made this again I might boil all the hops for half an hour of so in some malt, just to extract a bit more bitterness.

Also, I'm sure it would be equally as good with light malt instead of dark.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Big Al » Tuesday Sep 21, 2004 9:29 pm

Thanks for reply Oliver. Just a couple of questions, what tempurature is ideal for this brew or time of year ( I have imersersion heater), what do you strain the ingredients with after boiling? Does ordinary rolled oats from supermarket do? How long in the bottle do you recomend? When I get all ingedients together will give a go and get back to you.
Thanks
Big Al
Big Al

Postby Oliver » Thursday Sep 23, 2004 9:55 pm

Big Al,

Given that stout is brewed with ale yeast, I always aim at 18-20C for fermentation, perhaps up to 22C or so. The higher the temperature the more undesirable flavors the yeast develops.

Just strain it through a seive or colander. You can also line it with a bit of stocking to catch all the small bits of grain and hops.

Rolled oats will do the trick.

I started drinking it at three months, and is still beautiful, 18 months later.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Guest » Friday Sep 24, 2004 7:02 pm

Punters who frequent other HB forums may have heard me before....

1.7 can Coopers Stout
1.7 can Coopers Classic Olde Dark Ale
Both yeasts
water to 23 litres.

Brewing notes:
The second can replaces the kilo of sugar/malt etc in a 23 litre brew.
I brewed this over Christmas quite warm in Sydney, bottled New Years Day. Temp stayed around the 27ish degrees.

Enjoyed a good hit of it over winter just past, but have managed to save a couple of bottles for winter 2005.

Postby Guest » Monday Feb 14, 2005 5:15 pm

I have a few questions. I followed the instructions and only put the dark ale and stout cans plus both their yeasts in and toped up to 23l with water. All wnet fine untill i went to work the next day when my fiance called to say that it had gone spastic and there was brown foam coming out of the air lock and also that it had no water in the air lock. Is this normal and or what should i do differntly. I just tipped it down the drain as i figured that something went wrong. Thanks for any help.

Postby Guest » Monday Feb 14, 2005 5:48 pm

you just wasted some good beer. just clean out the lock and put it back in. Or attach a hose to the air lock hole and run it into some water.

Postby Shaun » Monday Feb 14, 2005 6:19 pm

Have a look at this topic it it will help.

http://www.homebrewandbeer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=351
Shaun

Postby gregb » Monday Feb 14, 2005 7:08 pm

Yeah, sorry forgot to mention that it will go a bit birko in the bucket. I tried again recently, but with a Safale yeast to hopefully tame the savage fermentation, nup still bubbled accross the bench.

Tasted good but.

Cheers,

Greg
gregb

Postby BPJ » Thursday Feb 17, 2005 3:54 pm

If its going to go beserk out teh airlock then try this. Dont use an airlock, use a clear tube and put one end in the hole in the lid and then put the other end into a bottle half filled with water (under the water surface). it is in effect a large airlock, but solves some of the problem of loosing the water and reduces the bubbles.
BPJ
BPJ

Return to Recipes