Boonies LCPA recipe

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Re: Boonies LCPA recipe

Postby Danis » Friday Feb 01, 2008 6:21 pm

Boonie, this recipe really comes together... don't know how you did it. I fermented this at about 24*C, and its still lovely. Gonna head out and try the real thing later on tonight, we'll see how it goes.
Danis

Postby Tim... » Friday Feb 01, 2008 9:02 pm

Danis wrote:Boonie, this recipe really comes together... don't know how you did it. I fermented this at about 24*C, and its still lovely. Gonna head out and try the real thing later on tonight, we'll see how it goes.

Agreed. My batch is about a month and a half in bottle now, and its fantastic. Haven't done a side by side yet, but I don't really care either way. Its more about how good the brew is, rather than how close it is to a mainstream beer.
Tim...

Postby ryan » Saturday Feb 02, 2008 7:58 am

bugger it-9 days till I can try mine :(
ryan

Postby Boonie » Wednesday Mar 05, 2008 12:14 pm

ryan wrote:bugger it-9 days till I can try mine :(

Thoughts ryan? I am interested to hear your opinion on this one......

Whilst on the LCPA topic, has anyone tried an all extract, I am toying around with it ATM

Cheers

Boonie
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Postby Tim... » Wednesday Mar 05, 2008 1:28 pm

Boonie wrote:Whilst on the LCPA topic, has anyone tried an all extract, I am toying around with it ATM

Cheers

Boonie

Make sure you keep us up to date with how it goes. I would love to try formulating the recipe, but having only done 2 extract beers, I wouldn't know where to start.

Tim
Tim...

Postby Trough Lolly » Wednesday Mar 05, 2008 1:58 pm

Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby Boonie » Tuesday Mar 11, 2008 8:39 pm

ryan?.....keen to know your thoughts...why? cause you are straight to the point :D

Can we improve? Doc has added grains and changed hop schedule with success.....Award winning

Cheers

Boonie
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Postby melykabeer » Wednesday Mar 19, 2008 9:21 pm

I have one of these in the fermenter and i have a predicament. My work is sending me to brisbane for a week and a half i would normally be dry hopping it this weekend and then bottling the following but ill be away. Should i either let it ferment till i get back dry hop it let it sit for a further week then bottle or should i dry hop before i go away and bottle when i get back, by the time i get to bottle it the dry hops would have been sitting in there for 2 weeks.
melykabeer

Postby Prawned » Sunday Apr 13, 2008 10:22 am

Going to give this beer a go today i think. Just got back from the HBS, Got everything other than the chinook pellets (the guy at the shop said he has never heard of them) What can i sub these for? I guess i can just look around a bit more since i dont need them for a few weeks.. but it might just be easyer dry hoping with something else. any suggestions?
Prawned

Postby warra48 » Sunday Apr 13, 2008 12:12 pm

If you don't have Chinook, then here is a list of possible substitutions, courtesy of Ross at CraftBrewer:

Nugget, Columbus, Northern Brewer, Wye Target, possibly Centennial.

I'd personally try for Columbus, to get that citrussy aroma and flavour, which seems to be an essential element of this beer.
warra48

Postby Prawned » Sunday Apr 13, 2008 7:34 pm

Cheers mate! Just finished the boil of this beer about 20 mins ago. Smells pretty damn noice! Will pitch yeast in the morning when it cools down to 19c.
Prawned

Postby pixelboy » Sunday Apr 13, 2008 10:00 pm

You wait overnight before piching??

I always thought it was better to pitch at a higher temp than wait that long? I usually pitch at about 28c after cooling the extract boil as best I can... Then continue to bring the temp down ASAP.

Does anyone else wait ~ 12 hrs before pitching?
pixelboy

Postby warra48 » Sunday Apr 13, 2008 10:09 pm

pixelboy wrote:You wait overnight before pitching??

I always thought it was better to pitch at a higher temp than wait that long? I usually pitch at about 28c after cooling the extract boil as best I can... Then continue to bring the temp down ASAP.

Does anyone else wait ~ 12 hrs before pitching?

Yep, I've done it. Put the fermenter either into the fridge overnight, or just left it as is, and pitched next morning. I don't think it's all that unusual. I'd prefer to do that than to pitch at 28ºC.

However, if you can chill down to proper temperature range, it's preferable to pitch it as soon as practicable.
warra48

Postby rwh » Monday Apr 14, 2008 12:27 pm

Yeah, it's debatable which is best. I tend to pitch high and put it straight into the fridge. It's a numbers game. There are two factors that will negatively affect the flavour profile of the beer that we're trying to control here:

1. Acclimatisation of the yeast. The greater the variation in the environmental conditions, the greater the work that the yeast has to do to become acclimatised to them. The more acclimatisation a yeast does the more off-flavours it will produce.
2. The exponential growth of any bacteria in the wort. Once the bacteria reach a significant population, the byproducts of their metabolism will become evident in the flavour profile of the beer. The earlier you pitch the yeast, the better the chance they'll outcompete the bacteria.

The justification I use for my choice is:

a) the yeast has a lot to do in its lag phase to acclimatise to the environment, but it isn't actively fermenting at this stage, so it's not really releasing many flavour compounds at this stage.
b) some yeast manufacturers recommend rehydrating yeast at higher temperatures (30-35°C in the case of Lalvin).
c) any flavour contribution that the yeast will produce won't be as bad as that the bacteria will produce if they get a foothold.
d) in my fermenation fridge, the wort gets down to 18°C pretty quickly, generally a matter of 4-6 hours or so (so, barely enough time for the yeast to start fermenting).

Don't take my word for it though. ;)
w00t!
rwh

Postby l7edwards » Monday Apr 14, 2008 2:07 pm

hey all,

I've got a problem with the recipe, i cant seem to get my hands on a morgans stockmans draught. I've got every other ingredient, but in terms of the base can the only thing i can get would be a supermarket coopers kit at the moment. The draught is only 20IBUs, the lager 21 and the real ale 29. The stockmans draught is 28 IBUs right, so does anyone have any ideas on what i should do to achieve the right bitterness?

Maybe some chinook boiled to bitter?
l7edwards

Postby warra48 » Monday Apr 14, 2008 2:21 pm

I'd use the Coopers Real Ale kit.
The flavour and character of this beer comes from the hop additions, rather than the base kit.
I reckon it will be close.
warra48

Postby sonictruth » Monday Apr 14, 2008 4:03 pm

ive done this recipe with a coopers draught kit and it came out a treat. A real ale kit has pretty high IBU (30 i think) and may make it excessivly bitter....but i guess it all depends on taste.
sonictruth

Postby Hopmeister » Tuesday Apr 15, 2008 3:47 pm

l7edwards wrote:i cant seem to get my hands on a morgans stockmans draught.

Where are you located?

Someone like http://www.bmbrews.com.au/ can mail order you the kit in question.

Sam
Hopmeister

Postby StuTee » Wednesday Apr 23, 2008 10:02 pm

Just cracked open the first of these...
Pure gold!
Another fan...
Oh I used Beermakers Lager I think instead of whatever the recipe called for, if that's any help to anyone...
StuTee

Postby DJ » Thursday Apr 24, 2008 9:44 am

Tim... wrote:
Boonie wrote:Whilst on the LCPA topic, has anyone tried an all extract, I am toying around with it ATM

Cheers

Boonie

Make sure you keep us up to date with how it goes. I would love to try formulating the recipe, but having only done 2 extract beers, I wouldn't know where to start.

Tim

How is the extract version going Boonie?? Have tried the recipie (Brilliant BTW) and now want to try an extract version
DJ

"No Excuses" - Kostya Tszyu
DJ

PreviousNext

Return to Recipes