Making an American Pale Ale

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Making an American Pale Ale

Postby morry » Tuesday Sep 14, 2004 9:12 pm

Hi guys,
Im keen on making an american pale ale, similar to little creatures or mountain goats pale ales.
Has anyone made something like this? If so could you tell me what you used, whether it was any good, what you would change next time etc?
Thanks guys,
Sean
morry

Postby Gough » Tuesday Sep 14, 2004 10:35 pm

I've brewed a few in the little creatures style. What method of brewing are you using?

Shawn.
Gough

Postby morry » Wednesday Sep 15, 2004 3:08 pm

Just using a can concentrate at the moment.
morry

Postby morry » Thursday Sep 16, 2004 12:07 pm

Just got a recipe from Graham Simpson, the brewmaster at brewcraft.

Black Rock Colonial Lager
150g Cracked crystal grain
30g Cascade hops
Safale
1kg light malt

Im going to try it as soon as my fermenter frees up. I reckon it sounds pretty good.
morry

Postby Dogger Dan » Thursday Sep 16, 2004 12:14 pm

I have seen that Block Rock around recently, anyone give me the low down good/bad.

Thanks

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby Super Max Power » Thursday Sep 16, 2004 4:17 pm

Does little creatures have some type of dried citrus fruit peel in it to give it that flavour?
Super Max Power

Postby Oliver » Thursday Sep 16, 2004 5:51 pm

I doubt there's citrus peel in Little Creatures. Most likely the citrusy taste comes from the yeast and the hops, but mainly from the hops. Cascade is renowned as a citrusy hop, which gives American pale ales their distinctive taste and smell.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Gough » Thursday Sep 16, 2004 10:43 pm

From a post from one of the Little Creatures brewers on another forum, they apparently have a mix of Goldings and Cascade as bittering hops in the boil, with Cascade and a little Chinook for aroma. So in your kit versions Cascade is an essential hop to add. Dry hopping works well in this style. Give it a go!

Shawn.
Gough

Postby Evo » Thursday Oct 21, 2004 10:53 pm

I'm halfway through carbonating an American Pale Ale at the moment made from "Fresh Wort".

http://www.esbeer.com.au/category21_1.htm

Certainly the easy way out when making homebrew. Had a taste just now and it's pretty damn good. Has anyone else had any experience with "Fresh Wort" ? Another customer (at least I think he was a customer) at the HBS was talking them up big style saying he'd won awards with them blah blah etc etc.
Evo

Postby Dogger Dan » Friday Oct 22, 2004 7:19 am

Yes,

I have tried something similar here in Canada and it was way hopped, and I am a hop head lupomaniac.

Additionally it needed a yeast energizer to get going.

Finally, it needed an acidifier to get going also to so I am thinking they were having some issues with shelf life.

So, I said to myself (and I knew it was me cause I recognized the voice) Do it yourself, so there I was brewing from grains.

My first which by the way I am filtering tonight although it is pretty spotless and should be sucking back tomorrow (oh the joys of artificial carbonation).

Just in time to make another this weekend, an American Steam Beer, the recipe which follows

4 kilos pale malt
750 g of 40 Crystal Malt
1 oz Northern Brewer for 65 min
0.75 oz Northern Brewer for 20 min
1 oz Cascade for 1 min
500 ml of honey

I am thinking of using a Cream Ale yeast on this bad boy

As Mister Campbell Says

MMMMMM MMMMM Good.

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby Evo » Sunday Oct 24, 2004 11:01 am

Geez, that sounds like a lot of effort to get started. A bit like me in the mornings.

Seriously though, what sort of yeast were you using ? I've NEVER had a brew that hasn't started before. From chucking the dregs of a Coopers long neck straight into the fermenter to using a Wyeast pack that was a year out of date to pitching dried yeast at 35 degrees C. It has ALWAYS worked.

That's why it suprises me when I hear people adding yeast nutrient etc etc. It's a simple god given process. It should always work :)

As for your Steam Beer DD, it sounds sweet (as in good). One day I'm gunna have to motivate my lazy ass to do a brew from grain. If I get a result thats even remotely like Little Creatures I'll be preaching the virtues of brewing from grain all over this website !
Evo

Postby Dogger Dan » Sunday Oct 24, 2004 8:52 pm

I admit that when I brew my own I don't need to add a yeast energizer as I pretty much ensure the goods are there for a healthy fermentation. This also comes back to cheap brew kits to that use to much Corn Sugar, There are insufficiant proteins etc to get the yeast going. The kit I used needed it so it was lacking in something the yeast needed. Wine is often the same way to, in that it it needs some help to giddy up and go.

Additionally, I have used old yeast outside the expiry date and some times it needs a bit of convincing that it should go.

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby Guest » Monday Oct 25, 2004 2:10 pm

i did a country brewer wet pack 2 weeks ago.. gave it a taste test on saturday. its great - v.close to l.creatures

Postby Evo » Monday Oct 25, 2004 3:38 pm

Are we allowed to talk wine here DD ? :wink: So obviously you've tried your hand at that as well. Is it worthwhile ? From the little I've read about it, it's a long slow process with lots of racking involved. However, I've also heard that it can produce some pretty good vino.

And it seems I'll have to give the Country Brewer wet pack a bash.
Evo

Postby Dogger Dan » Monday Oct 25, 2004 9:13 pm

Evo,

It is easier than beer as there is no cooking involved but does take time. Every Feb I have to shutdown my 10 gallon Carboy in order to make wine for my Mother-in-Law. Personally, I don't like the stuff, guess I am not sophisticated enough to appreciate it. Heaven forbid no man should ever be caught with a wine cooler

Comes with being a guzzler I guess.

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby Oliver » Wednesday Oct 27, 2004 11:08 am

Dogger,

Regarding your (much) earlier inquiry about Black Rock products, I've got nothing but praise for them. My very first beer was a Black Rock Bitter and I've brewed a few different ones since then.

They're from New Zealand (but don't hold that against them) and they are often recommended by homebrew shops over here in Oz.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Return to Recipes