Corona Clone

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Corona Clone

Postby Jay » Wednesday Feb 16, 2005 11:53 am

Ok,

The missus has finally excepted my homebrewing as a cheaper (and tastier) alternative to commmercial beers.

The only problem (well not really a problem) is that she now wants me to brew a beer akin to the Corona as all my beers tend to be a bit rich for her taste (darker ales...yum). So in short does anyone have a pretty good recipe for Corona. I've seen plenty about but don't know which to go with.

Corona is a lager, right? Will I be able to go close with an ale yeast and fermentation temps close to 22C or am I better off waiting for winter and using a lager yeast? Refrigeration is not an option as I'm brewing under mum and dad's house and my apartment is too hot (for ales or lagers) and small (for another fridge).

Cheers,
Jay.
Jay

Postby Dogger Dan » Wednesday Feb 16, 2005 11:58 am

I am thinking wait for winter (it is winter), but, you can make a blonde beer with an ale yeast and no one will be the wiser

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby Jay » Wednesday Feb 16, 2005 12:12 pm

Hang on, just let me check something.........nup 30+ degrees C outside at the moment and definitely not winter here yet :D :wink:

But seriously, probably will wait (Have a few lager recipes ready and waiting to go). Was going to make a Canadian blond with ale yeast next brew so will see.

Cheers,
Jay.
Jay

Postby Oliver » Wednesday Feb 16, 2005 3:02 pm

Using 1kg of glucose will give you a light body that should please your wife.

It's the residual sweetness from the malt that gives you the body that your wife doesn't like (and gives me my body that my wife doesn't like :wink: ).

A couple of brewers make a "Mexican Lager". Do a search on the forum for "mexican".

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby BeerKiller » Wednesday Feb 16, 2005 4:26 pm

Heres a couple of options for you Jay, I've been looking around for the same thing and here are the two recipes I've decided to go with. I'm going to do the lager first and then try the kit, for the same reasons as yourself. (Herself)

2.5 kg light dried malt
10g Golden Cluster hop pellets @ 5 mins
15g Hersbrucker hop pellets @ 45
15g Hersbrucker hop pellets @ steeping
Saflager yeast
Boil the malt in 5-10l of water and hop as indicated
Ferment @ 10-14c till final S.G. (1005/1010) rack and lager for a month and bottle and let mature for 2 months.

OR

1 x Beermakers Cerveza
1 kg dextrose
200g corn syrup
(sure this one is done like an ale, ready in a few weeks)

Anyway both options I decided on were suggested by my local HBS, they reckon the second one is a very, very popular Corona clone, so it may be worth a try if lagering is not an option yet.

Cheers
BeerKiller

Postby Guest » Wednesday Feb 16, 2005 6:03 pm

Westbrew has a corona like kit, havent tried it tho I think my brother left some here when he moved out.

Site says:
Corona style beer
In one purchase you will get everything you need to make your own Corona style beer - Beermakers MEXICAN CERVEZA + Brew Blend No. 15 - BREW BOOSTER

Postby r.magnay » Thursday Feb 17, 2005 6:52 am

Oliver,
I was wondering if 1Kg glucose will, "give me a light body that should please my wife" if so how do I take it?
Ross
r.magnay

Postby Oliver » Thursday Feb 17, 2005 10:14 am

Ross,

It should certainly help. As there are fewer residual sugars if you use 1kg dextrose, it should be less fattening. A case of the more you drink, the more weight you lose?

As my wife says of my stomach, I don't have a six-pack, I have a keg :lol:

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Corona clone

Postby beerpig » Thursday Feb 17, 2005 6:11 pm

Yeah, as the guys are saying, Corona is a light Lager that has a high percentage of Adjuncts in the brew probably corn or rice ( its cheap, it doesnt darken the beer, and allows them to brew with six row barley.
If you want that Corona Lager profile, you will need to use some adjunct and lager in (cold). You wont get what your after with an Ale yeast.
A lot of waiting and work for a Lager that in my opinion is quite bland and lacking in any flavor ( except the corn like flavor ).
Talk the Mrs into a German Lager, all grain ,hops,water & yeast 'the way beer is meant to be'
Cheers
beerpig

Return to Recipes