Tooheys kit beers

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Tooheys kit beers

Postby Jay » Thursday Feb 03, 2005 8:50 am

Hi Guys,

I noticed while shopping last night that all tooheys kit beers are about $8 at my local Bi-Lo (Marketown, Newcastle, AUS).
I was just wondering 1) if anyone had any good recipes using any of the Tooheys range? 2) whether or not it's a good idea to combine two cans of their kit beer?

Cheers,
Jay.
Jay

Postby Guest » Thursday Feb 03, 2005 10:21 am

i've only used a combination of 2 coopers cans but the tooheys ones will work in the same way. If you like a malty, medium hopped beer then try a can of tooheys bitter and a can of lager and boil for 45 mins then add some finishing hops about 30grams (cluster, fuggles or willimate) for about 10 mins in the boil . if you want a slightly lighter beer use 2 cans of lager. I usually make them in 20l batchs and ferment at 20 degrees. make sure you fire up the yeast in a starter. once you taste an all malt brew you will notice a huge improvement in the flavour,body and head retention. at $16 plus some hops it's worth a try.

Postby Guest » Thursday Feb 03, 2005 10:31 am

Is it unwise to combine the dark ale kit with a lighter (colour) kit beer or even a lager? What yeast would you use?

Thanx.

Postby Oliver » Thursday Feb 03, 2005 10:49 am

There's no problem combining a light and a dark kit. Depending on the kits you use, you'll end up with something akin to a brewed black and tan.

You could use an ale yeast or a lager yeast, depending on whether you wanted heavier body and fruitier taste and nose, or lighter body and crisper taste with less fruit.

I'd be willing to bet the yeast that comes with the lager is actually the same as the dark ale (probably an ale yeast).

If you'd prefer, grab a sachet of Safale or Saflager from your homebrew shop and use that in place of the supplied yeast.

Or make a yeast starter from a bottle of Cooper's ale.

Or just chuck both sachets of yeast in. Yeast that comes with some homebrew kits is an ale/lager combo anyway.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Jay » Thursday Feb 03, 2005 11:28 am

Thanks Guys,

Will try combining the dark kit with a lighter one. I love dark meaty beer but only in smaller quantities, don't want to make something too dark that I can't take 1/2 a dozen of to a piss up. Coz it's so cheap, I think I'll will splash out on a packet of safale and some willamette hops.

Cheers guys,
Jay.
Jay

Return to Recipes