Mountain Goat Recipe??

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Postby mobydick » Thursday Jun 21, 2007 9:40 pm

Cracked a bottle based on Cortez's recipe Hightail recipe. Difference being I added 50 grams of steeped Choc Malt and about 50 grams of Golden Syrup. Used 3/4 cup of raw sugar for bulk priming.

It's only been in the bottle 5 days, but I was keen to try. Didn't hold head for long, but hoping retention will improve with more time.

Didn't think it tasted like Hightail much at all. Hints of iced tea and toffee. Possibly from the Golden Syrup? Really very nice and looking forward to trying more as it matures. Keen to do it again, but I think I'll double the grains and Golden Syrup.

Might also try a version with a Belgian yeast and hallertau hops instead of the fuggles.
mobydick

Postby timmy » Thursday Jun 21, 2007 10:16 pm

Moby,

According to the brewer at Mountain Goat, they use cascade in the Hightail and not the english varieties. I used Goldings or Fuggles in mine (can't remember which) and as I said it came out very close. Reminds me that I need to make another batch... btw the head retention will get better with time.

Cheers,

Tim
timmy

Postby mobydick » Thursday Jun 21, 2007 10:33 pm

Thanks Timmy. I'll try to be patient and wait for it to mature. I think Cortez suggested Goldings for the Pale Ale, and Fuggles for the hightail. The Fuggles is nice but Cascade may be better.

If you have spoken to the brewer does that mean you been along for pizza at the brewery? Good night?
mobydick

Postby timmy » Thursday Jun 21, 2007 10:52 pm

Unfortunately no. I was speaking to them at the Victorian Micro showcase at fed square a few months back.
timmy

Postby mobydick » Wednesday Jul 04, 2007 5:37 pm

This one has improved leaps and bounds in the last 10 days. It's now very evocative of Hightail Ale. The toffee and tea notes have receded somewhat, and more of the malt flavour coming through. Very easy to drink.
mobydick

Postby dragonphoenix73 » Wednesday Jul 04, 2007 10:28 pm

I can confirm that the Goat crew use Cascade in the Hightail.

I was around there the other day picking up a keg of it, and we started yakking about brewing ambers.

Thanks for the recipes though - seems like I only need to make some slight alterations to make my Amber into a Hightail clone....

Has anyone who has gone to a friday night at the Goat tried the double-malt IPA? MMMMMM..........

There was a double-strength stout being brewed when I went - ready in about a month they said.... see you there!
Life is like a box of chocolates.... sometimes you get a hard one!
dragonphoenix73

Postby mobydick » Thursday Jul 05, 2007 6:09 pm

Well I will do this recipe again. Next time I'll try it with Cascade and see how it is different. Been meaning to get along for a Friday night sip for ages. Didn't realise they had other select brews to try. Nice weather for a stout!
mobydick

Postby mobydick » Thursday Jul 12, 2007 8:50 pm

My effort with this one is a month old now and very enjoyable. Tonight however I am sipping on a JS IPA and I find there to be quite a few similarities. About the same colour, but the IPA head is lighter in colour. The IPA is a little more bitter, but not much. Hopping is pretty near identical. I note that both the IPA and mine were dry hopped with fuggles. So if you are thinking of trying to do a JS IPA from kit, you might find my hightail recipe above a starting point.
mobydick

Postby mobydick » Thursday Jul 12, 2007 8:59 pm

Realized that my reference to my recipe was a bit vague unless you like treasure hunts. So here is my Hightail Ale that turned out like a James Squire India Pale Ale

1.7 Kg Coopers Real Ale
100g Crystal malt (steeped for 20 min)(added just before flame out)
50g Choc malt
1 Kg LDME
50 ish grams of Golden Syrup
100g Dextrose
25g fuggles - added at flameout
Safale US-05

Boiled the kit with the other stuff, for 35 minutes(before I learned I ought not)
Bulk primed with 3/4 cup raw cane sugar
OG 1053

FG 1010

To make it more like IPA I think it needs a little more body (more Crystal?) and a little more bitterness (add a little amount of bittering hops?) Maybe up the Fuggles to 30 grams.

Not saying they are the same, but if you threw a blanket over both of them, I don't think you could tell the difference in the dark :lol:
mobydick

Re:

Postby Bum » Tuesday Apr 07, 2009 10:45 pm

Mountain Goat Hightail clone 1

* 1.7kg Coopers Real Ale tin (Pale ale if doing Mtn Goat Pale Ale)
* 1kg Light dry malt extract
* 100g Crystal malt (steeped for 20 minutes)
* 100g brewing sugar
* 25g Amarillo hops for the Pale Ale or Goldings/Fuggles for the Hightail, steeped for 10 mins with the LME.

Has anyone done this one? I'm planning on putting it down as my first K&B soon and was wondering if it turns out ok. I'll most likely do it as the PA not the Hightail.
Bum

Re: Mountain Goat Recipe??

Postby Jacko_NZ » Wednesday Apr 08, 2009 12:44 am

I did the Hightail version with goldings hops and just the kit yeast. Turned out fantastic, loved it early on as there was a nice caramel toffee flavour going on. After 3 weeks it seemed to lose that flavour though, still a lovely drop though, one of my better ones.

Cheers
Jacko_NZ

Re: Mountain Goat Recipe??

Postby Bum » Thursday Apr 09, 2009 8:33 pm

Cool. Looking forward to trying the pale version - hopefully not a pale imitation!

Got it down today. Only changes made were I doubled the brewing sugar and did a small boil on some of the hops instead of only steeping. Will dry hop with a little more amarillo in a few days time.
Bum

Previous

Return to Recipes