Maudite Clone

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Maudite Clone

Postby beercanuck » Friday Jan 07, 2005 8:16 am

Hey All,

Has anyone come across a Maudite (pronounced Mau-dee) clone? It's a brew produced by Unibroue out of Quebec. The brewers url is: http://www.unibroue.com/products/maudite.cfm

BeerCanuck
beercanuck

Postby Dogger Dan » Friday Jan 07, 2005 10:23 am

I have 4 bottles downstairs and we pronounce it maudite here in Lucan (actually we call it crap) Sorry, it is way to heavy and no one thought about the taste. It is highly over proofed so most of the kiddies drink it for affect.

Of course, it did get the Courrier de Bois home safely after making a pact with the devil

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby thehipone » Monday Jan 10, 2005 11:31 am

Don't have a recipe, but man did I love the Unibroue beers that I tasted when I went back to Buffalo.

La Fin du Monde is just that, the end of your world, its so drinkable at that high of an alcohol. I do have a recipe for Blanche de Chambly.

Anyways, back to your question,
Based on the commercial description, I think you could probably "fudge" a pretty decent brew in the style starting with a recipe for a belgian strong ale, maybe a few hundred grams of belgian aromatic malt, a kilo? of candi sugar, some biscuit malt or Special "B" maybe and your base malt. hops are less of a concern. And maybe adding some of the mentioned spices. Low bitterness from a "noble" hop variety. Try to find a similar recipe and maybe a recipe calculator and fiddle with it a bit. I'll have more of a think about it if I get some spare time.

IIRC, maudite is bottle contioned, your first step could be to reculture the Maudite yeast.
thehipone

Postby thehipone » Monday Jan 10, 2005 3:18 pm

OK, based on what I could find online Ive come up with a guess recipe, there isnt a lot of info around on it and its pretty tough not having the beer here in front of me, but it might get you started. I make no guarantees. I couldnt find the IBU or hop specs, so those are just an educated guess within the range typically used in this style.
One reference said they put cloves and paprika in it, never heard of paprika in a beer before, but the grains of paradise should have a similar but milder effect and are more commonly used. Again, without the beer in front of me I dont know/remember how spicy it is, but the amounts are based on recipes for Belgian wit.
The malts are tuned to give the right alcohol % and an estimate of the color. Basically its a steep specialty grain then add extract recipe.

Dubbel- Maudite

Brewer: R Dombrowski Email: -
Beer: Dubbel- Maudite Style: Belgian Dubbel
Type: Extract w/grain Size: 19 liters
Color: 24 HCU (~13 SRM)
Bitterness: 35 IBU
OG: 1.077 FG: 1.015
Alcohol: 8.0% v/v (6.3% w/w)
Grain: 450g Belgian aromatic
100g Belgian Special B
Boil: minutes SG 1.067 22 liters
3kg Light dry malt extract
550g Belgian candi sugar
250g Wheat extract
Hops: 50g Hallertauer Hersbrucker (5% AA, 60 min.)
25g Tettnanger (4.5% AA, 15 min.)
10g Coriander (10 min. boil)
10g Grains of Paradise ( 10 min. boil)
25g Bitter Orange Peel ( 10 min. boil)

Recultured Unibroue yeast or similar Belgian yeast.

Hmm, now I've got another one to go in the brew queue.

Any questions/comments on this are welcome.
thehipone

Postby Dogger Dan » Monday Jan 10, 2005 10:24 pm

I am not sure there are enough hops in it. As I said, I can't stand the stuff. I have a tough time with the buy one get one free brews.

Maybe I shouldn't be used as a reference. LOL

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby thehipone » Monday Jan 31, 2005 2:54 pm

Well, if anyone is interested, this cloning experiment got off to a start this past weekend. Due to the general lack of availability of Special B and belgian aromatic malt I made some substitutions. I decided to go all grain for this one too. My efficiency suffered a bit, I guess due to the high gravity, and I missed the target by ~.005, nothing that got me too worried. It is currently trying to climb out of the fermenter. We'll see how it turns out.

Maudite Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Type: All grain Size: 19 liters
Color: 45 HCU (~20 SRM)
Bitterness: 35 IBU
OG: 1.083 FG: 1.020
Alcohol: 8.1% v/v (6.3% w/w)
Grain: 5kg British pale
500g Wheat malt
250g Belgian CaraMunich
500g Dextrine malt (Cara-Pils)
250g Cararoma
250g British crystal 135-165L
Mash: 70% efficiency
Boil: minutes SG 1.071 22 liters
1 lb. Lyle's Golden syrup (Invert sugar)
Hops: 25g Styrian Goldings (5% AA, 90 min.)
25g Hallertauer (4% AA, 40 min.)
10g Hallertauer (4% AA, 15 min.)
1/8 tsp Paprika
1/2 tsp Coriander
1/8 tsp. Ground Clove
Orange Peel from 1 green-ish large orange

pitched with Chimay yeast at 21 C.
thehipone

Postby db » Monday Nov 14, 2005 8:38 pm

thehipone, how did this recipe work out?
db

Postby thehipone » Thursday Nov 17, 2005 6:38 pm

It was the victim of a drunken idiot that wasnt taking his medication and went on a rampage in our house. This batch was a casualty, as well as a housemate's things that he brought back from his trip to the middle east. There's still little pieces of blue glass all over our garage.

Anyways, I might give this one another crack now that the uni term has wound up.
thehipone

Postby db » Thursday Nov 17, 2005 6:51 pm

thehipone wrote:It was the victim of a drunken idiot that wasnt taking his medication and went on a rampage in our house. This batch was a casualty, as well as a housemate's things that he brought back from his trip to the middle east. There's still little pieces of blue glass all over our garage.

Anyways, I might give this one another crack now that the uni term has wound up.

:shock: ouch.. let me know how it goes if you try again. thinking about doing a belgian of some sort now summers almost here
db

Return to Recipes