Cascade Winter warmer clone - Dark wheat

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Cascade Winter warmer clone - Dark wheat

Postby two headed brewer » Thursday Nov 18, 2004 11:49 am

Anyone got a recipie for this rather good beer?

Curious about the dark roasted wheat malt - can one roast normal wheat malt in the kitchen oven while the wife is not at home?
two headed brewer

Postby Oliver » Monday Nov 22, 2004 7:14 pm

two headed brewer,

I haven't got a recipe for the Cascade Winter Warmer, however I found one recipe for a dark wheat beer (from Home Brewing: The CAMRA Guide. For our review of the book, see http://www.homebrewandbeer.com/books.html#hbcamra.)

For a mash beer it has 2.5kg of pale malt, 2.3kg of wheat malt, 250g chocolate malt and 45g Hallertau hops, boiled for 90 minutes. Final alcohol is 4.4%. If anyone wants me to post the full recipe, please let me know.

If you were doing it from a kit, maybe base it on a wheat beer kit, then add equal quantities (500g each?) of wheat malt and light malt. Put the 250g chocolate malt in plenty of cold water and put it over a low heat until almost boiled. Turn off the heat and steep for half an hour or so. Strain and add malt and maybe 20g hops (taking into account the hops from the kit) and boil for 90 minutes. Strain into the fermenter and dissolve the can and add that, too.

The Cooper's kit comes with a true wheat beer yeast. If you use another can and you're not sure that it's a real wheat beer yeast, perhaps ditch it and buy a SafWheat sachet.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby two headed brewer » Tuesday Nov 23, 2004 1:29 pm

Thanks Oliver, we were just discussing the chocolate grain options over lunch.

Back later to let y'all know how it goes.
two headed brewer

Cascade Winter Warmer clone

Postby Two Headed Brewer » Friday Feb 04, 2005 7:12 pm

Thanks again Oliver. Used a Cooper's Wheat Beer base Kit, Cooper's Wheat Malt, 250g Choc Grain (40min @ 60 degrees) and steeped 12g Cascade Hop. Tried a couple of samplers - only 3 weeks old - and I will be doing this again. I'm liking this partial mash caper!
Two Headed Brewer

Return to Recipes