any recipe

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Postby silkworm » Wednesday Oct 05, 2005 2:55 pm

Mate I'm impressed !
F%*% me thats a solid effort.....
Yes a cold one would be fine. I might clock off early today with the cricket started :wink:
Cheers
Silk

Postby Tyberious Funk » Wednesday Oct 05, 2005 3:11 pm

Aussie Claret wrote:Hey Silk,
I've actually got 16 batches on the go and will be putting another Coopers Heritage lager down when space permits.
So yeh big summer planned, not bad since I only started July this year, heheheh :lol: over 300 long necks conditioning nicely!

Cost me a packet to build the stocks up! But can now sit back and start drinking, anyone up for coldie?

AC

16 batches, assuming an average batch size of 20 litres is the equivalent of 425 longnecks or over 850 stubbies!!! You should slow down on the brewing and open up a bar!
Tyberious Funk

Postby Aussie Claret » Wednesday Oct 05, 2005 3:22 pm

I got the keg system plumbed in last weekend so got five kegs (2 filled at this stage) and 4 fermenters on the go.

I've of course been taste testing them so only about 300 long necks left and beer belly improving. :lol:

Oh and by the way the bar was built last christmas, looking forward to the chrissy party this year. Might post a few photo's if you're interested.

Any locals that want to taste test, I'd be willing for an open house to get some pointers, structured critism and sample some of your own brews.

Perhaps this should be a seperate thread.

Cheers
AC
Aussie Claret

Postby undercover1 » Wednesday Oct 05, 2005 3:39 pm

Hmm, and I thought I was doing well, with 230 or so bottles stockpiled & a 40l batch of cider & 20l pale ale to go.
Salut!
undercover1

Postby NTRabbit » Wednesday Oct 05, 2005 3:42 pm

Only have 380 stubbies and swingtops myself, with enough of them empty to handle my currently brewing Asahi prototype, the planned amber and a chilli beer or Coopers Pale, all of which are sitting in my box waiting.

Slowly collecting more of them, but eventually space will become an issue - cant afford a keg system either.
Het Witte Konijn
NTRabbit

Postby silkworm » Wednesday Oct 05, 2005 4:36 pm

I bow to your collective industry!
You are truly an inspiration guys. With my tiny collection of 120 bottles and 1 brew in the making I see that I need to pull my socks up for Australia.
This is what our country is truly built on..... :wink:
Cheers
Silk

Postby NTRabbit » Wednesday Oct 05, 2005 5:42 pm

I have a question about the Crystal grain - planning on using 100g from the 500g bag and the grain is whole, do i need to have a crack at it with a mortar and pestle before boiling it?
Het Witte Konijn
NTRabbit

Postby db » Wednesday Oct 05, 2005 7:48 pm

NTRabbit wrote:I have a question about the Crystal grain - planning on using 100g from the 500g bag and the grain is whole, do i need to have a crack at it with a mortar and pestle before boiling it?

NTR checkout the photo's on this site. if it's already cracked - the 2nd shot - then there's no need to pull out the mortar & pestle :)

http://www.ozbrewer.com/mash.htm

& this is probably an obvious point.. but i'll say it anyway :wink: steep the cracked grain - don't boil it!

cheers

EDIT - Sorry NTR i just re-read your post & realise now your grain is whole :oops: but i'll leave the link there as the pics are nice :D (& imo the site should be pretty good once finished)
crack away! i've used a m&p in the past, & it'd probably be the way to go with only 100g.. but due to laziness, & larger amounts of grain, i have been known to use a mini blender with a dull edged attachment & pulse it whilst shaking the blender - probably not the best way to do it but it worked :wink:
db

Postby NTRabbit » Wednesday Oct 05, 2005 8:36 pm

Yes i meant to say steeped not boiled, and my malt grains are definitely not cracked.

Mortar and Pestle it is then!

I think i need to steep it for 10 minutes, the remove the grainsock and boil it another 5 before adding it to the wort, is that about right?
Het Witte Konijn
NTRabbit

Postby db » Wednesday Oct 05, 2005 8:46 pm

NTRabbit wrote:Yes i meant to say steeped not boiled, and my malt grains are definitely not cracked.

Mortar and Pestle it is then!

I think i need to steep it for 10 minutes, the remove the grainsock and boil it another 5 before adding it to the wort, is that about right?

with only 100g i wouldn't bother boiling unless your boiling your extract/hops etc.. if you are, a 5-10min boil should do it. i'd probably steep a little longer.. atleast 20mins under 70deg
db

Postby NTRabbit » Wednesday Oct 05, 2005 8:50 pm

I was thinking of boiling the extract, but the hops im just going to steep.

Not really sure how to measure the temp on my stove, but i think i can wing it
Het Witte Konijn
NTRabbit

Postby db » Wednesday Oct 05, 2005 9:01 pm

NTRabbit wrote:I was thinking of boiling the extract, but the hops im just going to steep.

i'd suggest the 'dogger' method then - slowly bring your water, with the grainbag in it, to the boil.. removing the bag before it boils.. & making sure you don't rest it on the bottom of the pot :wink:
db

Postby NTRabbit » Wednesday Oct 05, 2005 9:06 pm

db wrote:
NTRabbit wrote:I was thinking of boiling the extract, but the hops im just going to steep.

i'd suggest the 'dogger' method then - slowly bring your water, with the grainbag in it, to the boil.. removing the bag before it boils.. & making sure you don't rest it on the bottom of the pot :wink:

Im at a loss as to how im going to keep it off the bottom if it doesnt float.
Het Witte Konijn
NTRabbit

Postby db » Wednesday Oct 05, 2005 9:27 pm

NTRabbit wrote:
db wrote:

Im at a loss as to how im going to keep it off the bottom if it doesnt float.

when the bag & grain is soaked it wont float.. i used to either hold it (boring), or tie the open end of the bag around my pot handle.. having said that i was using a 15litre pot with atleast 5L of water. on a smaller scale you might be best holding the bag :P :? :? or steeping seperately in a coffee plunger for 20min.. drain into your boil pot. rinse the grain once with hot water.. drain that into your pot & start your boil from there
db

Postby Dogger Dan » Thursday Oct 06, 2005 2:32 am

I tie the grain bag to the pot handle.

This is really easy stuff to use, you wont believe it. As you are using the grain for colour and adjunct/body rather than sugar don't worry about the temp to much, just don't boil it. As said earlier, toss it in when you are warming the water up and pull it out before the boil.

POP really

Oh, and if you really want to measure the temp get a Dairy thermometer. The are about 6 bucks and float in the liquid

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Previous

Return to Recipes