I don't know what to call this?

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

I don't know what to call this?

Postby Dogger Dan » Monday Oct 25, 2004 12:41 am

Yesterday I fired up what I hope is the first common sense all grain beer I have made.

The recipie was kind of based on a US Steam style beer and ended up as follows

4 kg Pale Malt
750 g 20 Crystal Malt
28 g Chocolate Malt (reduce chill haze)
750 ml Honey
0.75 oz Northern Brewer for 60 min
1 oz Northern Brewer for 30 min
1 oz Cascade for 5 min

I used about 16 cups of 165 deg water to dough in the grains I then added 36 cups of 165 deg water in a single infusion with the final temp being 150 deg. I let it sit for an hour after which I sparged. I amazingly got about 27L of wort with the final SG being 1010. Wow

the SG of the 27 L was 1050 and when the honey was added and finally boiled the opening SG was 1058 for 23 L most excellent I think.

So here is the neat part. I used a new (to me) yeast called a San Francisco Lager which operates as a lagar yeast up to 68 deg. I really wanted to use my dry ale yeast but hey, why not try something new eh?

OK, will keep you posted as to what is happening. Check out the San Francisco Lager yeast, it may help brewing Lagars in warm temps

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Return to Recipes