Earle's Stone & Wood recipe

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Re: Earle's Stone & Wood recipe

Postby Marty » Tuesday Feb 14, 2012 6:37 pm

I just cracked the first one and this is an amazing beer! Great pale colour (almost translucent), very passionfruity hoppy nose and extremely easy to drink. This is going to go into my rotation of staples. Thanks again Earle! At the risk of sounding like Molly Meldrum, do yourself a favour and if you are looking for an easy to brew beer that overdelivers this is the one!

Next up on my to brew list is the famous DSGA!
Marty

Postby bilgerat » Tuesday Feb 14, 2012 10:36 pm

Thanks for the recipe earle, I made a brew and chucked it in the fermenter yesterday, OG came out at 1044 a little higher than yours I think.
I have the fermenter sitting in a fridge at a constant 17-18C its bubbling away nicely :)
bilgerat

Postby earle » Monday Feb 20, 2012 12:26 pm

Great to hear that others are having success with this one as well. Bilgerat I suspect our OGs are probably the same, the one in the recipe is calculated by Beersmith from values that are set a bit too low.
Cheers
earle

Postby Guru » Monday Feb 20, 2012 2:15 pm

After trying the commercial Stone and Wood on the weekend, I might give this a try. The commercial one was certainly nice and if this comes somewhere close I'd be pretty happy.
Might have to wait for the weather to cool down though as I don't have a brew fridge and have trouble getting my fermenter below 24deg at the moment.
Guru

Postby bilgerat » Saturday Mar 03, 2012 12:28 pm

I gave this about ten days at around 7C after fermentation had stopped, the beer going into the keg was quite clear.
I had a taste test while kegging , I was drinking a stubbie of the real mccoy at the time and I cant detect any real difference between the original S&W and mine, it can only improve with a bit of time in the keg, I am making another batch today.
bilgerat

Postby hyjak » Sunday Mar 11, 2012 8:20 pm

Just got this one off the boil (well mostly this one)
I upped the hops by 5g at each interval and threw about 5g of Amarillo in at the start of the boil to clear it out. Smells delicous, now to wait for it to cool so I can it into the fermenter and pitch the yeast.
hyjak

Postby aydanrogers » Saturday Mar 17, 2012 9:43 pm

I'm going to be putting this one down very soon bit I was just wondering why there weren't any long hop boils? Is it bitter enough as it is or is it designed to be a bit on the sweeter side?
aydanrogers

Postby aydanrogers » Monday Mar 19, 2012 9:47 pm

Put down the stone and wood clone tonight to try out my new beer fridge temp controlled set up. Ended up getting the stc1000 and wiring it all up my self. Changed the hop regime a little with the addition of 5g of chinook at 30 mins and 15g of galaxy at 20 10 and 0 with another 15g getting dry hopped at day 5. Really looking forward to trying this one out!
aydanrogers

Postby aydanrogers » Tuesday Mar 20, 2012 11:46 am

How do you clear the hops suspension when your ready to bottle. It just doesn't seem to settle and it ends up in the bottles.

Any ideas?
aydanrogers

Postby Marty » Tuesday Mar 20, 2012 2:02 pm

I've never really had this issue before even when dry hopping directly into the fermenter. Probably the only thing I could suggest is to not move the fermenter prior to bottling? Usually I will move my fermenter to the bottling area at least 24 hours prior to bottling. This allows for any solids (yeast/hops) to settle at the bottom of the fermenter.

Hope this helps?
Marty

Postby aydanrogers » Tuesday Mar 20, 2012 6:13 pm

Hopefully, my last brew had bits of hops in it. I didn't mind but it doesn't make the beer look good with floaties in it. Ha ha
aydanrogers

Postby earle » Wednesday Mar 21, 2012 1:48 pm

Hi Aydan

Sorry, have been busy moving.

The galaxy is quite a high AA% so the boil only needs to be short to get the target bitterness. The calculated IBU is not high but with the bit of tartness you get from wheat it does not finish sweet. In fact when I did a recent side by side I thought the real S&W was a bit sweet in comparison.

I always leave ales to ferment for 3 weeks and by that time the hops and yeast have settled out. I rarely get a bit of hop in a bottle but when I do I don't really care - real beer has real hops.

Hope it turns out well for you.

Cheers
Earle
earle

Postby aydanrogers » Wednesday Mar 21, 2012 7:13 pm

I am really looking forward to drinking this beer. I love the real one so I am really keen to see how this turns out. Its got a very nice hoppy scent coming out of the airlock so I'm starting to find it hard to wait and its only been 2 days! :smile:
aydanrogers

Postby BadSeed » Tuesday Mar 27, 2012 12:07 pm

Put one of these down on Sunday night, pitched yeast at 18 and sitting in fridge at 16 degrees.
Opened the fridge on monday night and was immediately hit with the fantastic hop scent. Nice krausen and regular bubbling.

Really looking forward to this one. If it is as good as I hope it will become a staple for me. :D :D :D
BadSeed

Postby aydanrogers » Sunday Apr 01, 2012 4:33 pm

Is there any need to crash chill this one to settle it out or doesn't it need it?
Can i crash chill this one now its been two weeks in the fermenter. Its sitting at 1010. I don't have a racking crane or a separate fermenter but i have bulk primed my primary for my other brews and i haven't had any dramas but im a bit worried with this one having so much hops in it i don't want to stir it all up and get hops throughout the whole beer. Should I just bite the bullet and buy another fermenter to rack into or should i be fine? what has everyone used to rack with? will just a length of copper and a food grade hose attached to it work fine or are there easier ways of doing it? I checked on Brewmate that if I chill it down to 2 deg I will only need 102 g of dex to bulk prime with, is this right and does it need to be the same temp as the beer or just pour it in? Sorry for the 101 questions, i just don't want to stuff this one up.
aydanrogers

Postby RUM57L » Tuesday Apr 03, 2012 11:43 am

You cant go wrong with a second Fermenter mate.. it comes in handy and the local brew shop should have a hose you can pick up for a few bucks.
RUM57L

Postby BadSeed » Tuesday Apr 03, 2012 5:16 pm

I just racked mine after a week in primary. I always draw a cup off before I ract to clear the trub/hop plug from the tap.
Anyway, I may have accidentally lifed up the cup to my lis and drank a little bit. Wow, half fermented at 16 degrees still fantastic.
BadSeed

Postby Boxy » Wednesday May 30, 2012 6:15 pm

Ok ......so if i'm gonna follow Oliver's recipe and i was gonna keg this brew would i need to add extra dextrose to up the alcohol content and substitute for the secondary fermentation you would get if you bottle? I got all the ingredients but just wanna be sure before i go ahead.. cheers
Boxy

Earle's Stone & Wood recipe

Postby bullfrog » Wednesday May 30, 2012 7:20 pm

Boxy wrote:Re: Earle's Stone & Wood recipe
Ok ......so if i'm gonna follow Oliver's recipe and i was gonna keg this brew would i need to add extra dextrose to up the alcohol content and substitute for the secondary fermentation you would get if you bottle? I got all the ingredients but just wanna be sure before i go ahead.. cheers

Only if you're really worried about getting those few extra fractions of a percent of alcohol into your brew.

In general though, no, you don't add extra sugar into a brew just because you're kegging instead of bottling (provided you're carbonating from a gas bottle and don't require a secondary ferment in the keg to carbonate.)
bullfrog

Postby Boxy » Thursday May 31, 2012 7:01 pm

Thanks bullfrog. I wasn't sure. Here I go.. :D
Boxy

PreviousNext

Return to Recipes