Earle's Stone & Wood recipe

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Earle's Stone & Wood recipe

Postby earle » Monday Sep 19, 2011 2:11 pm

As tasted by Jello in the Southern Spring Lotto here http://www.homebrewandbeer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10584&p=108728#p108710, here is the recipe. Apart from how its taste's the great thing about this recipe is how simple it is. I came up with this as I needed something that I could get in the fermenter very quickly. Normally I wouldn't do a beer without spec malts but the wheat extract provides the bit of extra body needed.

Recipe: 109 Stone & Wood Pacific Ale
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: Extract

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.038 SG
Estimated Color: 4.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 20.8 IBU

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.50 kg Coopers Liquid Light Extract (3.5 EBC) Extract 50.00 %
1.50 kg Coopers Liquid Wheat Malt Extract (4.2 EBC) Extract 50.00 %
10.00 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (20 min) Hops 11.0 IBU
15.00 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (10 min) Hops 9.9 IBU
20.00 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs American Ale US05 Yeast-Ale

I know Bobby might be interested in trying it so I'll give some basic instructions.

Bring 4L of water and approx 520g of the light extract to the boil. Add 10g Galaxy hops, after 10 minutes add another 15g Galaxy hops, after another 10 minutes take off the heat and add the final 20g Galaxy Hops. I usually put the lid on the pot for the last 2 minutes so that the steam sterilizes the lid.

While this is boiling add a few litres of water to the fermenter and then the rest of the malt extract, stir thoroughly. Cool the pot in a sink of cold water and then add to the fermenter (I don't strain the hops out). Top up to 23L. Pitch the yeast and ferment at 18C. I bottled after 3 weeks and primed with 1tsp white sugar per 375ml bottle.
earle

Re: Earle's Stone & Wood recipe

Postby jello » Monday Sep 19, 2011 2:47 pm

Thank you kindly Earle. This will probably be my next brew.
Lovin' the Galaxy!
Jeff.
jello

Postby Gill » Monday Sep 19, 2011 10:24 pm

I like putting on a second easy batch with each brew, as its easier to get two done fermenting and bottled at once. This sounds like a perfect candidate, mind describing the flavour?

EDIT:
jello wrote: Noticed the wonderful fruity aroma as soon as I cracked it. I could have left it under my nose all night, except I kept drinking it. I'm not good a describing flavour, but it was fruity with what I thought to be a slight orange/citrus flavour. Very easy to drink a lot of those on a hot day. Would love the recipe if you're willing to share. I think I'm hooked on Galaxy.

Found it in the link, my bad.
Yes, definitely will try
Cheers,
Gilly
Gill

Postby earle » Tuesday Sep 20, 2011 8:39 am

The wheat malt also provides a slight tartness which is I find is the perfect partner for a fruity hop. On the craftbrewer website they describe the flavour of galaxy as a citrus/passionfruit one.
earle

Postby Gill » Tuesday Sep 20, 2011 9:24 am

I have amarillo in the fermenter at the moment, and it smells exactly like grapefruit coming out the top. :)~
Cheers,
Gilly
Gill

Postby bobby » Thursday Sep 29, 2011 9:11 am

Thanks for your rscipe Earl.it will be my next brew carn't wait,been a bit tide up lately. Thanks Bobby?
bobby

Postby BadSeed » Friday Dec 23, 2011 9:53 am

Going to give this one a go.
Thanks...
BadSeed

Postby aydanrogers » Friday Jan 06, 2012 2:35 pm

Is there a starter kit that I could use to get the same result? I've only been brewing for about 3 months and I don't really understand all the jargon yet!
aydanrogers

Postby Oliver » Friday Jan 06, 2012 5:04 pm

Hi Aydan,

The original recipe really isn't that difficult. It's just boiling up some hops in some malt extract and water, then adding the lot to the fermenter.

However, if you want to start with a kit, off the top of my head what is below should approximate Earl's recipe. Others may have some thoughts, too.

Note that there is no boiling of hops involved because you don't want to add to the bitterness already in the kit.

They must be Galaxy hops and you need the wheat malt in there. The yeast is also fairly important. Do not use another kit because it will likely be too bitter.

Ingredients
  • 1 x 1.7kg Can Coopers Mexican Cerveza (to contribute 20.0 IBU, which is close to the 20.8 in Earl's recipe)
  • 1.3kg Coopers Liquid Wheat Malt Extract.
  • 20g Galaxy hops
  • 20g Galaxy hops
  • 1 pack Safale US05 American Ale Yeast

Method
  • Dissolve the Cerveza can and wheat malt extract in hot water.
  • Add 20g Galaxy hops - preferably in the clean leg of a stocking - and let it sit, covered, for 15 mins.
  • Tip the whole lot into the fermenter, straining it if you didn't put the hops in a stocking.
  • Top up to 23 litres.
  • Pitch the yeast and fit lid or cover with plastic food wrap.
  • Ferment at 18C-20C.
  • After a couple of days - as fermentation is subsiding - add the other 20g of Galaxy hops, which is called "dry hopping". Put them in the other leg of the stocking or in a hop bag (available from your homebrew shop). There's no need to do anything to them first. Just throw them in. The stocking or hop bag will prevent the "little bottler" from getting clogged when it comes time to bottle.
  • Leave for a week after fermentation is complete and bottle.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby earle » Saturday Jan 07, 2012 12:46 pm

That sounds fine Oliver. If you prefer you could just add the hops to the fermenter just before you close it up rather than dry hop a couple of days later.

As a side note I made another batch of this but the wheat extract was past its best before and so the batch was not nearly as good. The first btach was made from extract bought from coopers online shop when they had free shipping, so it was probably a lot fresher. Highlights the need for fresh extract and kits.

Cheers
earle

Postby aydanrogers » Saturday Jan 07, 2012 5:50 pm

thankyou very much that sounds great, ill definitely have to try that because I love the pacific ale!
aydanrogers

Postby aydanrogers » Monday Jan 09, 2012 3:54 pm

Do you recommend putting the hops pellets straight into a bag, crushing them and putting them into a bag or crushing it and throwing it straight in?
aydanrogers

Postby earle » Monday Jan 09, 2012 4:50 pm

No need to crush the pellets as they're compressed leaves and will break up on contact with liquid. I don't bother with a bag, just flush the first bit of brew from the tap before botling to clear the tap, otherwise the hops sitting in the tap block the bottler attachment. Otherwise just pop them in a bag and drop in the fermenter.
earle

Postby aydanrogers » Thursday Jan 12, 2012 5:32 pm

So a stocking leg will be fine or a specific hops bag?
aydanrogers

Postby Oliver » Thursday Jan 12, 2012 6:15 pm

I've used both and they're much of a muchness.

These days I have a hop bag. When I uses stockings I'd just chuck the whole thing away at the end because they're a bugger to clean. You can get three bags out of a stocking: two legs and the top (gusset) area :shock:

With the stockings just pour some boiling water over them and let them steep for a while in an attempt to get any chemical nasties out (I'm not sure if this actually does anything, but it makes you feel better about chucking stockings into your beer) then rinse.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby emnpaul » Friday Jan 13, 2012 4:14 am

I used to soak stockings over night in Napi San then rinse in cold, then boiling water for use as a hop bag.

Now I just chuck ém in loose and flush the first bit from the tap as Earle says.
2000 light beers from home.
emnpaul

Postby hyjak » Friday Jan 20, 2012 6:46 pm

Cheers for the heads up on this one Earle, will get the bits together next week and put it down next weekend or earlier.
hyjak

Postby Marty » Saturday Jan 21, 2012 9:14 am

I'm putting this one down today. Thanks for the recipe Earle!
Marty

Postby earle » Saturday Jan 21, 2012 10:52 am

No worries, make sure you report back on how you go. Cheers
earle

Postby Marty » Monday Jan 23, 2012 8:28 pm

Will do. It smelt great going in the fermenter and has been bubbling away nicely. I used the Wyeast 1272 American Ale II so will be interested to check out the final results.
Marty

Next

Return to Recipes