citra brew

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Re: citra brew

Postby barrelboy » Monday Mar 28, 2011 2:24 pm

Yes I've had a few beers but reading all on this topic, I understand sh.t.
Speedie trust everything down below is now ok.
A barrel a day keeps the doctor away. Drink more piss.
barrelboy

Postby squirt in the turns » Monday Mar 28, 2011 3:49 pm

speedie wrote:Normally we would achieve 69% plus
As much as to say if the grain yields 80% then by mr smiths numbers I am getting 69/80 = 86% dumb but true but this brew 77%
Dr if you get used to driving your car you don’t check the fuel economy every time you fill up
So most pro brewers no there expected yield and measure at the back end
Picture this running off into several vessels with differing og readings while measuring the hop additions for twenty times the last thing on my mind was what is the reading in each vessel
They all end up being blended into two fermenters at the end of a brew session and that ladies and gents is when I take a reading

Hi speedie, assuming your wort is all collected into one kettle (or, if more than one, that they are evenly filled from your multiple run-off vessels), why not just take a reading from the kettle before you start the boil? You'd then have been able to adjust for the increased hop utilisation. As you later noted, your beer finished slightly more bitter than you wanted. I'm surprised no one here has called you on it and said "told you so"! :wink:

Also, if you aren't measuring the specific gravity of your runnings, how are you calculating your extraction efficiency? My understanding is that you would need to know the weight of the grain, and volume and SG of the runnings. Assuming you know the pre-boil volume, wouldn't you have to calculate your pre-boil gravity based on your post-boil SG and loss of volume due to evaporation? Forgive my ignorance when it comes to the math, I'm more or less dependent on Beersmith to do the work for me when it comes to this stuff.
squirt in the turns

Postby speedie » Monday Mar 28, 2011 8:55 pm

squirt i have always been a down to earth brewer so i suppose my assumption of extraction comes from expeirance with my brew rig
i base my extract on grains used for any batch size by total volume produced
i know that is a different way to look at what is going on but i have been doing this stuff for many yaers now and have adapted the saying if it ant broke dont fix it
with respect to my hop ute this is a grey area
without any disrespect to any of you brewers could you really pick 10 IBUs difference in a brew
i have allways been of the impression if it tastes good (feels good) just do it
i hope to brew at least half of what is in my head before i cant brew anymore
sorry wife has put food on the table will post back soon
speedster
speedie

Postby speedie » Monday Mar 28, 2011 9:36 pm

would any one be interested in brewing any of my formulas
speedie

Postby matr » Monday Mar 28, 2011 9:51 pm

Will you supply the ingredients??

You supply the formula & grist & I'll do it BIAB so you can see what you think...
matr

Postby rotten » Tuesday Mar 29, 2011 9:41 am

speedie wrote:would any one be interested in brewing any of my formulas

Post your formula in % & g/l if you could. I'm sure other brewers would have a go as well.

Which formula?
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Postby speedie » Tuesday Mar 29, 2011 7:39 pm

no mate didnt see it on tap if i had i would sample it forshore
those citra hops are good things do the right way
speedie

Postby speedie » Tuesday Mar 29, 2011 7:42 pm

rotten i wil bring my note book home one night and go through records too see what would go with your style suggestions
cheers speedie
speedie

Postby Lachy » Wednesday Mar 30, 2011 5:41 pm

Speedie (and anyone else who can pitch in advice) - I've just bought some citra hops and I intend to use them possibly in a K&K lager. From what I've read here there's quite a fruity character imparted to the beer when they are used. Aside from passionfruit a la nelson sauvin, how else can you describe this flavour, and how can it be affected by the boil time?
Lachy

Postby matr » Wednesday Mar 30, 2011 6:13 pm

I think I used 10grms @ 10mins and 15grms @ 0mins in 1L of water with 120gms of Dex. Added to a can of cervesa & 1kg of LDM.

It is very fruity and kind of overpowering. Not to say it won't mellow but I would go a bit less next time. I was surprised at how powerful this hop is as I have done similar using cascade and amarillo and it was never as strong flavour & aroma wise.

Something to go by anyway..

Cheers, Mat.
matr

Postby Lachy » Wednesday Mar 30, 2011 6:45 pm

Crikey, that sounds very close to what I was planning. I was thinking Cervesa can, 1kg BE2, 15g citra @ 10min, 10g citra @ flameout, to 23l. Is it as strong as nelson sauvin in its fruitiness?
Lachy

Postby matr » Wednesday Mar 30, 2011 7:34 pm

Lachy wrote:Crikey, that sounds very close to what I was planning. I was thinking Cervesa can, 1kg BE2, 15g citra @ 10min, 10g citra @ flameout, to 23l. Is it as strong as nelson sauvin in its fruitiness?

Mine was to 21L

Personally I think Citra is alot fruiter than NS but maybe it's because I've used NS in Pales so a slightly maltier base.
matr

Postby Lachy » Wednesday Mar 30, 2011 7:57 pm

Bugger... I was hoping for a straightforwardly citrussy hop (I would have thought the name "citra" would indicate this...). So, does this suggest that this hop is better in pale ales, maybe an APA?
Lachy

Postby speedie » Wednesday Mar 30, 2011 9:48 pm

one of the last brews that i did was 100% nelson man what taste sensation that is
citra is still i my eyes untapped with respect to additions
speedie

Postby Lachy » Thursday Mar 31, 2011 7:17 pm

Without a doubt, Nelson Sauvin is a great hop. I've used it in a couple of lagers and non-HBers are constantly amazed at the passionfruit characteristic that it brings to beer. However, it can be a tad overpowering so if Citra is Nelson Sauvin on steroids... well, let's just say I'm slightly wary of it.
Lachy

Postby bullfrog » Friday Apr 01, 2011 3:19 pm

I personally wouldn't call Citra 'Nelson Sauvin on steroids.' It is quite similar but I get more mandarine flavours from it, than NS. I also haven't had any experience with it being more overpowering than NS. I've used it with great success in a number of APA's -- in fact, I've got one on tap right now. Citra, Cascade and Nelson Sauvin. Just kegged last weekend and it will probably run dry by this Sunday :P
bullfrog

Postby speedie » Friday Apr 01, 2011 11:42 pm

i get more resin effect from citra and as the name implies citrus aromas
still a dam fine hop though
the next time i do twenty hop i will play around with hop additions
and pull back on the early addding to lower to bitterness effect
speedster
speedie

Postby Lachy » Sunday Apr 03, 2011 8:03 pm

So, we've established that citra is good in APAs... but can you add it to a crisp lager without it throwing everything completely out of whack?
Lachy

Postby speedie » Monday Apr 04, 2011 10:06 pm

lachy what do you want from a hop addition in your beers
is it bittrerness or isit hop nose
this is all relivatant to the style that you are developing
fark just do it
speedie

Postby Lachy » Tuesday Apr 05, 2011 6:53 pm

Well I'm a kit brewer, and I'm making this one with the girlfriend in mind (she doesn't do bitter beers). I was thinking late flavour and aroma additionts, but nothing that will up the bitterness to any significant degree.
Lachy

PreviousNext

Return to Recipes