3 can Imperial Stout

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

3 can Imperial Stout

Postby Sathias » Monday Apr 27, 2009 10:56 am

Hi all

I have some spare Coopers tins in the cupboard, so I thought I might use them to make an Imperial Stout. Something like the following

2 x Coopers Stout tin
1 x Coopers Dark Ale tin
250g chocolate malt (steeped)
WY 1028 XL London Ale Yeast
fill to 18 litres

I reckon that the 3 cans might be enough as far as bitterness goes, or would you recommend I do some hop additions as well? Would I need a to do a starter or would a smack pack be enough on its own?
Sathias

Re: 3 can Imperial Stout

Postby Wassa » Monday Apr 27, 2009 1:49 pm

I think with the 3 cans you're going to have more than enough bitterness, maybe even too much.

As for the yeast, that's an awful lot of fermentable in there. Maybe go with 2 smackpacks.
The liver is Evil and must be punished!!
Wassa

Postby Kevnlis » Monday Apr 27, 2009 5:31 pm

Go the full 23L, sub one of the stout cans for a Draught or Lager can, DONT add more hops, and you should be sweet. As for two smack packs, depends on the temp you plan to ferment at...

I would shoot for 16C and use a 3L starter if you have a stir plate, or two smack packs if not.

You could always do a packet each of US-05 and S-04, this would be cheaper and gives a good result.
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby Sathias » Tuesday Apr 28, 2009 11:30 am

I have a spare can of unhopped malt as well, maybe I should sub in that for one of the Stout tins. The two packets of dry yeast sound like a good idea, I don't mind spending a bit of money on my brews but two smack packs might be a bit rich :)

Thanks for the advice
Sathias

Return to Recipes