Invert Cane Sugar and Corn Sugar

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Invert Cane Sugar and Corn Sugar

Postby davekate » Wednesday Nov 24, 2004 6:25 pm

Hi All,

A recipe I am about to try calls for Invert Cane Sugar, anyone know where I can get this or if it is something I can make?
Also, Corn Sugar, any ideas where I might acquire this stuff?

Cheers
David
davekate

Postby Oliver » Wednesday Nov 24, 2004 8:26 pm

David,

According to the Macquarie Dictionary, invert sugar is "a mixture of glucose and fructose formed naturally in fruits and produced artificially in syrups or fondants by treating cane sugar with acids."

Here are two interesting posts, explaining what invert cane sugar is, and how to make it at home:
http://food4.epicurious.com/HyperNews/get/archive_gtips1401-1500/1404/3.html
http://www.beertools.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100&highlight=invert

Apparently Tate and Lyle Golden Syrup is the same as invert cane sugar, but regular golden syrup (CSR or Bundaberg, for those in Australia) is not the same.

Corn sugar is, I suspect, the same as corn syrup, which in Australia we usually purchase in dried form.

Cheers,

Oliver
Last edited by Oliver on Wednesday Jan 19, 2005 12:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Oliver » Wednesday Nov 24, 2004 8:47 pm

Further to that ...

Invert Sugar is Table Sugar (Sucrose) that has been split into its components, Glucose and Fructose. With the use of Invert Sugar in wine and beermaking, the glucose is made immediately available for the yeast to use thus allowing the fermentation process to begin more quickly than if you use Table Sugar. With Table Sugar (Sucrose) the yeast will first have to split the Sucrose into Glucose and Fructose before it can use the Glucose in the fermentation process.

(From http://www.barkingside.com/InvertSugar.htm)

Some people believe a "cidery" taste results from the yeast having to split the sucrose (by producing an enzyme) before it can ferment the sugars.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Evo » Wednesday Nov 24, 2004 9:08 pm

There you go. And I always thought invert sugar had something upside down.

So using that logic, table sugar would go good in cider. ;)

As for that link, Oliver -
"Brewing, winemaking, leaf tea and chess supplies"

They've certainly got their fingers in alot of pies. Commercial diversity. Great.
Evo - Part Man, Part Ale
Evo

Postby Dogger Dan » Thursday Nov 25, 2004 11:51 am

Nail on head Oliver

You should take a couple of food science courses. It is the splitting of the sugar that gives you your off flavours when using cane sugar.

The only thing I warn you about is DE or Dextrose Equivelent which is the apperent sweetness WRT Dextrose. Invert is relativly low.

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby wombat » Thursday Nov 25, 2004 4:07 pm

corn sugar is dextrose monohydrate, unlike corn syrup which is maltodextrin. invert sugar is cool.
-wombat
wombat

Postby Oliver » Thursday Nov 25, 2004 9:17 pm

Ah, I see. Where would one buy corn syrup? Is it readily available here in Australia?
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Evo » Thursday Nov 25, 2004 9:29 pm

Yeah. Powdered corn syrup. Maltodextrin. Should be in any homebrew shop.
Evo - Part Man, Part Ale
Evo

Postby Oliver » Thursday Nov 25, 2004 9:46 pm

I think I'm on drugs tonight ... I meant corn sugar - dextrose monohydrate. Is that just what we all know simply as dextrose?

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby wombat » Thursday Nov 25, 2004 10:36 pm

it surely is, it just makes me feel clever to say it's whole name :)
-wombat
wombat

Postby Dogger Dan » Thursday Nov 25, 2004 10:44 pm

Let me konow when you guys get it sorted out

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Making Invert Sugar

Postby Jay » Monday Jan 17, 2005 3:15 pm

Making invert cane sugar, i.e converting sucrose into glucose and fructose, is quite simple and creates a sweeter sugar solution that doesn't require yeast to actively convert sucrose into its constituents (the bi-product of which probably lead to the stereoptypical " Bad Homebrew" cideriness). Just add 2 cups/parts white sugar to 1 cups/parts water and add a teaspoon of citric acid. Bring the solution to almost a boil for about 30 minutes. The hot acidic environment breaks the bond between the glucose and the fructose molecules creating invert sugar. This can be used in brewing as a fermentable. I have just made a batch of HB that used 2 cups of white sugar converted into invert sugar (amongst other things) - fingers crossed.
Hope this helps as I couldn't find invert sugar anywhere.
Jay.
Jay

Re: Invert Cane Sugar and Corn Sugar

Postby gregb » Thursday Aug 21, 2008 11:51 am

Good comment from Doc S about stove top invert sugar in Rum Rebellion Porter thread.

I left it there as it is relevant to that recipe.

Cheers,
Greg
gregb

Postby drtom » Thursday Aug 21, 2008 12:34 pm

In the above referenced post, the good Doctor writes that the popular wisdom that you can make invert sugar by boiling with acid, is false. Well, to be precise, that the process does not invert enough of the sugar to be useful. Given that this is such popular wisdom, I checked that source of all truth Wikipedia, and notice that it points out that the usual citric acid technique inverts enough to improve the preservative quality of the sugar, but makes it quite clear that it is only a partial inversion.

I presume that brewing invert sugar has a much higher degree of hydrolysation (i.e. a lot more of the sucrose is broken up), and that this is achieved using an enzyme such as invertase. Doc, do you know if this is the case?

Also, if my understanding is correct, then invert sugar is actually mostly a 50/50 mixture of dextrose and fructose. This begs the question of whether there is another equivalent source of fructose (the dex part is easy ;-)).

T.
Dost thou think, because thou art virtuous, there shall be no more cakes and ale?
-- The Twelfth Night, William Shakespeare
drtom

Postby Bizier » Thursday Aug 21, 2008 1:52 pm

I have been wondering about this for some time.
What is the best practice of achieving maximum sugar inversion at home for use in such recipes as Belgians or indeed a Rum Rebellion Porter? The Belgians have to make 'Candi Sugar' somehow... is it a monastical vibe that aids the remaining inversion?

D
Bizier

Postby Chris » Thursday Aug 21, 2008 5:36 pm

It requires a boiler vs a boil.
A beer in the hand is worth two in George Bush...

"They say beer will make me dumb. It are go good with pizza"
Psychostick
Chris

Postby Kevnlis » Thursday Aug 21, 2008 5:48 pm

The only benefit of invert sugar or candi sugar made this way are the melanoidans it contributes. Real candi sugar is made from beets and contributes other flavour components that you will not get from cane, wheat or corn sugars. Just like molasses, dark brown sugar, and corn syrup contribute things to the brew that are left after the yeast have converted all the sugars to alcohols etc. In the end, sugar is sugar, the yeast don't really care and I do not personally subscribe to the theory that one sugar tastes any different to the next when fermented (and by sugar I mean, maltose, dextrose, fructose etc. not longer chain sugars and dextrins which are not fermented by most brewing yeasts)!
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby Bizier » Thursday Aug 21, 2008 6:54 pm

Chris wrote:It requires a boiler vs a boil.

Kevnlis wrote:Real candi sugar is made from beets

So... What are the thoughts on fresh beetroot juice + cane sugar in a pressure cooker with water and lemon, open boil later to evaporate down?

I have never thought of vegetable beer... I think that sound I just heard was a paradigm dislodging itself.
Bizier

Postby Kevnlis » Thursday Aug 21, 2008 7:58 pm

I have not heard of it being done... not sure it will give you the same result though... sort of like saying corn juice and cane sugar will give you corn syrup...
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby Chris » Thursday Aug 21, 2008 9:30 pm

Yep. I'm with Kev on this one.
A beer in the hand is worth two in George Bush...

"They say beer will make me dumb. It are go good with pizza"
Psychostick
Chris

Next

Return to Making beer