Beer taste funny

Other topics - beer-related or not.

Beer taste funny

Postby 4x4play » Wednesday Jan 27, 2010 8:29 pm

Good day all

I do keg brewing

I am new at this brew thing and still trying to get it perfect.
I had the first lot of brews tasting very good but lately I get ones that taste funny, like it is over gassed, CO2 ???? I am not sure as I do the same process the whole time. i have changed all the o-rings on the formenters and use Milton to clean the formenters and kegs.

I brew the beer in and old fridge and have the temp between 25 and 27 deg C.

The brews I use are Morgans and Coopres Lagers and Draughts.

Please help, I live in Bunbury WA and would appreciate any help to get this sorted. I have searched the site but don't find the same problem.

Regards
4x4play

Re: Beer taste funny

Postby Finnagann » Thursday Jan 28, 2010 2:02 am

Can you describe the flavour more?
Finnagann

Postby Bum » Friday Jan 29, 2010 5:18 am

Yeah, a better description might help us out.

When you say that it tastes like it is overcarbed is it actually overcarbed at all? Or its just what you think that might taste like?

Since you're brewing in a fridge the first thing you need to do is get your temps down to 18-20 rather than 25-27. I know that's where the kits tell you to keep it but they do that so your beer comes out quicker and it seems more impressive. If you ferment a little lower if will take longer but it will also taste better.
Bum

Postby 4x4play » Saturday Feb 06, 2010 10:13 am

Sorry took so long to reply, but by PC crashed.
The tast is sort of a sharp / chemical or if you just smell the gass taste. a bit hard to explain.
The fridge is a broken one so I cant get the temp down , just constant.
Is there anybody in the Bunbury WA area that can taste and advise?
4x4play

Postby warra48 » Saturday Feb 06, 2010 10:39 am

Not to alarm you, but at worst, you have an infection of some sort in your beer. If that is so, the infection will continue to gobble on the goodies in your bottles (I assume you bottle), and they will continue to corbonate more and more. Potentially, that could lead to bottle bombs. Keep monitoring and take appropriate action if this is the case.

More likely, you are tasting the results of fermenting at 25 to 27ºC. Such high temperatures produce fusels and other nasty side products.
You get an idea of what this is like by comparing how a cheap ultra budget scotch tastes compared to say a single malt scotch. The cheap one is rough and sharp, whereas the single malt will be oh so smooth.

The advice given earlier about controlling your fermentation temperatures is excellent advice to follow. It will really help to improve the quality of your beers. Even with a broken fridge, lots of brewers can control the temperature by changing a couple of frozen PET bottles each day in the fridge.

And, of course, be very fussy with cleaning and sanitising.

Hope it turns out OK for you.
warra48

Postby 4x4play » Saturday Feb 06, 2010 6:13 pm

Thanks I willtry and get the temp down and see how it comes out.

Cheers
4x4play

Return to General discussion