The Downward Spiral

Other topics - beer-related or not.

The Downward Spiral

Postby Planner » Thursday May 28, 2009 5:26 pm

Just a quick hello and an explanation of the title

It all started about 4 months ago, with a view to brew some cheap beer. I had tried my brothers HB using coles brand lager and some brew enhancer that he knew by number only (didn’t have a clue what was in it.) this was at least drinkable and at $12 for 23l I was definitely interested.

So off to kmart and returned with a coopers starter kit. Brewed it to instructions, maybe a little cooler, 10 days in the bottle, Hey this is OK.

Next step search internet to get ratings on other kits, still totally oblivious to the fact that brewing exists outside of k&k, or even that there are HBS.

This is where the downward spiral started. I discovered homebrewandbeer.com and my mind has not stopped racing since. My next brew recipe changes 3 times before finally making it to the fermentor. Solution - purchase another fermentor, 1 to maintain consistent brew only changing 1 variable at a time, and the second to experiment with different styles and methods. Problem – still not enough fermentors. (additional fermentors are harder to hide than additional fishing rods “Oh that old thing, I’ve had that for years” just doesn’t seem to cut-it when SWMBO parks next to the brew area in the garage.)

The spiral continued when I discovered HBS locally, now recipes have the added confusion of additional hops and grains. At this rate I’ll die of old age before trying the recipes that I have already stockpiled.

Anyway Hi to all and thanks for the advice offered on the forum. It has already helped greatly in my short brewing career.
Nothing interesting to see here, move along.
Planner

Re: The Downward Spiral

Postby hyjak » Thursday May 28, 2009 6:06 pm

Welcome in!!
Yes the slope is steep and very slippery. :D
Thankfully there are places like this to keep us on the straight road to obsession :lol:

Jez
hyjak

Postby svyturys » Thursday May 28, 2009 8:06 pm

(Evil laugh) Hahahahahahahaha!!!!
Welcome, Planner...to the spiral.
Three fermenters here. SWMBO is detoured by the concept of saving money...and diverting to her interests?!?!
Once the basics are mastered it seems that only the sky is a possible limit.
Where are you located? If in Melbourne then there are some great LHBS's here.

Cheers
"In the beginning was the wort..."
svyturys

Postby Bizier » Thursday May 28, 2009 9:31 pm

Welcome Planner!

The trick is to get SWMBO into beer... then applications are processed with much more sympathy.

Awesome hobby, awesome community... and even better, it revolves around beer!

Say.. Melbourne is a good latitude for hop growing, how is your green thumb?

Cheers
Bizier

Postby Planner » Friday May 29, 2009 9:39 am

svyturys wrote:Where are you located? If in Melbourne then there are some great LHBS's here.

Located in Shepparton, but I do venture to the northern suburbs of Melb occasionally for work. I have found that Sunbury Home Brew Supplies have been more than helpful and from my limited knowledge seem to carry a reasonable range (only comparing to LHBS).

Bizier wrote:Say.. Melbourne is a good latitude for hop growing, how is your green thumb?

SWMBO has a green thumb, and if it has flowers there is some chance that I may be able to organise something for the new garden - just built a new house.

Cheers Planner
Planner

Postby Pale_Ale » Friday May 29, 2009 10:46 am

It's a slippery slope!

You'll find there are plenty of toys to sap your hard-earned with.

I know how it is with the fermenters! I've got 3 fermenters, a cube, a few pots, FridgeMate & brew fridge, and plenty of other random gear. And that's what I call a fairly modest set-up. It does take up a bit of space, not to mention the >100 bottles of beer I have in stock atm.

With recipes and stuff, since you're experimenting with hops and grain and everything, you should get some brewing software to help you with recipe formulation. This doesn't eliminate the fun of trial and error, but you can get the results you're after a lot quicker. For extract brewing, QBrew is prettty good and it's free.

So welcome anyway and look forward to hearing about some of your recipes!
Coopers.
Pale_Ale

Postby drsmurto » Friday May 29, 2009 11:55 am

And then you discover kegging........

At which point you buy a house which already has its own single car garage converted to a bar.......

I think my partner still regrets that decision!
drsmurto

Postby svyturys » Friday May 29, 2009 3:36 pm

Planner wrote:Located in Shepparton, but I do venture to the northern suburbs of Melb occasionally for work.

There's a couple HBS's that might interest you. There is Cellarplus in Epping. Upside to them is that their hardware can be well priced ...2/3rds of the cost on some items when compared to other places. ($40.00 for a superautomatica bottle capper comes to mind). Downside is that there is a lack of expertise staffwise and the dates have to be checked on whatever you buy. Prices can be good for yeast but they don't stock Fermentis yeasts.

Dave in Greensborough can be reached via the ringroad. Upside is that prices are great, ingredients fresh and expertise is spot on. No downside that I have found so far.

Cheers
svyturys

Postby Planner » Friday May 29, 2009 4:04 pm

Thanks svyturys

I will be travelling through Epping next week, so I will call in. Greensborough may have to wait for a job a bit further east (or an extended lunchhour).

Aside: Just went to the bottlo to fill the work fridge, and found Chimay Red for $2.99 and Landlord for $3.99 so a couple of each followed me home.

Cheers Planner
Planner

Postby svyturys » Friday May 29, 2009 6:32 pm

Planner wrote:found Chimay Red for $2.99 and Landlord for $3.99

WHAT THE !!!!!! Where's this bottlo????

BTW cellar plus is off Cooper St. Google and you'll get the address. Can't think of it off the top of my head.
svyturys

Postby Bizier » Friday May 29, 2009 9:10 pm

Planner wrote:Chimay Red for $2.99 and Landlord for $3.9

*Bizier sprays a mouthful of beer all over the monitor*

Damn... wrong Epping. Nearly worth a dedicated trip to Mexico for that.
Bizier

Postby Planner » Monday Jun 01, 2009 10:11 am

svyturys wrote:
WHAT THE !!!!!! Where's this bottlo????

1st choice in shepp. They were in the clearance bin and approaching best before dates, but hey at that price I had to try a few, just to make sure they weren't off, would hate to see someone get a bad beer. :wink: Went back Sunday and all were gone.

svyturys wrote:
BTW cellar plus is off Cooper St. Google and you'll get the address. Can't think of it off the top of my head.

Travelling along Hume this week. Will make a detour.

Planner
Planner

Return to General discussion