Hargreaves Hill Brewery destroyed in fires

Other topics - beer-related or not.

Hargreaves Hill Brewery destroyed in fires

Postby Oliver » Saturday Feb 14, 2009 5:49 pm

Hi guys,

Fortunately I don't know anyone who has died in the fires, but there are plenty of people I know who have been badly affected, including losing homes.

I've just found out that the Hargreaves Hill Brewery in the Yarra Valley has been destroyed.

For any of you in Melbourne, there's going to be a fundraiser this Thursday, February 19, in St Kilda. Details are below.

Half the proceeds will go to the owners of Hargreaves Hill and the other half to the Red Cross appeal.

I'm in Sydney this week for work, otherwise I'd see you there.

Cheers,

Oliver

As a result of the tragic events in the Victorian bushfires, The Local Taphouse is hosting a fundraising Benefit Gig on Thursday Feb 19th. 50% of all money raised will be donated to the official Red Cross Appeal and their efforts to help those devastated by these fires.

One of Victoria’s best microbreweries, Hargreaves Hill Brewery, was also completely destroyed by fire so we have decided to donate the other 50% to Simon and Beth Walkenhorst to help a little with their rebuilding.

Thanks to Little Creatures, Matilda Bay, James Squire and Coopers for their kind donation of a keg each for the evening. These donated beers, along with Hargreaves Hill’s exquisite ESB, will be the only beers served on the night. Thanks also to Beermasons for offering mixed packs for a raffle we intend to have.

If you would like to help in ANY way, please let us know.

When: Thursday 19th Feb
Where: The Local Taphouse, 184 Carlisle Street, East St Kilda
Time: From 6pm
Cost: $10 on the door (The Local Taphouse will donate $1000 plus door take & other donations we receive in kind or in cash)
Featuring: Live music (The Band Who Knew Too Much), standup comedy and great beer…

We are limited to only 150 people so it’ll be first in, best dressed. If you can’t attend but would like to help us help Hargreaves Hill Brewery, you can donate to our efforts via our PayPal account at http://www.thelocaltaphouse.blogspot.com/. 100% of funds raised via the Paypal account will be donated to Hargreaves Hill Brewery.
Oliver
Administrator

Re: Hargreaves Hill Brewery destroyed in fires

Postby chadjaja » Sunday Feb 15, 2009 8:55 am

This is my wife's fav pale ale on tap at our local the Terminus in Clifton Hill. I had dinner with the guys a while ago and after so much work its a sad loss. We will definitely be there at the taphouse to show our support and put into the kitty. I've lost one of my best mates in the fires and a few other friends as well :(

Its great to see how the micro business here is so close knit and supportive of each other. Great gestures of all the free kegs for the night. They help each other out for the bigger picture of great craft beer and not profits as one LARGE brewery has shown this week. :roll:

Time to load up on some of the pale ale and ESB before it goes from shelves for a fair while.
chadjaja

Postby chadjaja » Friday Feb 20, 2009 1:55 pm

$13K raised last night and good time had by all. Loving the fact I can drink Murrays IIPA on tap, Hargraves ESB on tap and FINALLY got to sample Timothy Taylor in bottle form. :mrgreen:

Won a mixed six pack in the raffle too :D
chadjaja

Postby Kevnlis » Tuesday Feb 24, 2009 12:14 pm

I went to the taphouse last week. Very nice place with some excellent beers on offer, and plates of food that could feed 3. Well worth the visit if you can make it, not to mention the help it will give to all those affected by these fires.
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Return to General discussion