Are you a binge drinker?? 3 beers in a day!

Other topics - beer-related or not.

Are you a binge drinker?? 3 beers in a day!

Postby chadjaja » Sunday Jun 15, 2008 9:17 am

So now a binge is 3 beers in the one day :shock: :shock: :shock:

Not good news for those that enjoy a good porter or IPA either :?
Four drinks and you're a binger
Article from: AAP

June 14, 2008 11:20pm

JUST four mid-sized beers will be classed as binge drinking under new national guidelines due out next month.

The new minimum limit for a single drinking session follows a review by the National Health and Medical Research Council and will apply equally to men and women.

A draft of the guidelines attracted controversy when it was released last October, saying that neither sex should have more than two standard drinks per day.

But the council's committee head Jon Currie said the two-drink limit will stay and said the old, safe limit for men - four drinks - would become the absolute upper limit.

"There's a new section there that says on any occasion, if you're going to set a top limit, you really need to set a limit of four drinks at the moment,'' Prof Currie told Fairfax newspapers.

"So our definition of binge drinking will drop as well.''

The changes drew condemnation from health professionals and former federal health minister Tony Abbott.

This makes as much sense as locking drunks out at 2am to get cabs all at the same time and get agro at each other. And taxing alco pops more only to turn kids onto spirit bottles instead. I think the people making these calls are the ones that drink too much. :lol:
chadjaja

Re: Are you a binge drinker?? 3 beers in a day!

Postby chadjaja » Sunday Jun 15, 2008 9:30 am

Now if you fork out for one of these 'premium' beer makers you couldnt drink that whole 2 ltrs at once LOL

What a great way to get around the law and I doubt BIG W would not let you buy a home brew kit or cans etc.

http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/384862

WOW 2 weeks or so and you have beer! :lol:
chadjaja

Postby Clean Brewer » Sunday Jun 15, 2008 5:32 pm

So what sort of drinker are you if you have 3-4 tallies???????? :?

I always thought I was a binge drinker, I just needed the proof// :wink:

So, if 2 drinks are an acceptable drinking level and 4 drinks makes you a binge drinker, what are you if you have 3 drinks?????

Where does alcoholism come into it?

A whole load of bullshit I think.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
To be updated shortly....

HOMEBREW: IF I HAD TO EXPLAIN, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND
Clean Brewer

Postby Liz E » Sunday Jun 15, 2008 8:27 pm

Move along people. Nothing to see here.

This is just the AMA trying to flex its political muscle and see what it can get out of the resulting media circus. Simply empire building.
Liz E

Postby James L » Monday Jun 16, 2008 12:09 pm

I reckon I spill more than 4 beers down the front of my shirt on any given friday night.....
I freely admit that I was Very Very Drunk....
"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst."
James L

Postby Boonie » Monday Jun 16, 2008 12:27 pm

They were discussing this on the radio this morning and this "Needlehead" jumped on and said

"You idiots are promoting Binge Drinking and endorsing it" he called them much worse but I cannot remember the exact word he used.

What a dick he was!!!! He agreed that yes 4 Middies was Binge Drinking......4 Freaking Middies.....I can have 4 Middies then legally drive after 2 hours....what a binge !!

I think his name was Dave.....obviously not from this forum :lol:

Cheers

Boonie
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Postby drsmurto » Monday Jun 16, 2008 12:33 pm

Dunno what a middy is but the pic they showed looked like half a pint.

I quite often have 2 pints while cooking dinner. :lol:

Wonder how much food constitutes binge eating...... by the looks of Rudds chins i reckon he is a binge eater.....

Bunch of muppets. :evil:
drsmurto

Postby Kevnlis » Monday Jun 16, 2008 12:45 pm

It has been known for ages that drinking 4 standard drinks in a day starts to have long term adverse effects on your health.

I have to disagree with Liz and say that the governement has known about this for some time and sat on its thumbs.

I think the AMA has done well to get more information before stepping up and doing what the helth minister should have done long before.

Binge drinking is a VERY serious problem with our youth, if you do not believe me spend a Saturday night in your local hip club, get there at 11, and leave with the crowd when they are forced, spend some time outside watching these poor kids as they exit.

Do these people not deserve to know what this is doing to them long term? Do they not deserve the proper education and information?

I will admit when I was in Uni we used to let loose on Sat night, but nothing like what happenes these days!

Certainly it is not a major problem to have 4 or more standard drinks in a single 24 hour period (though I do not recommend ever having more than 6 myself), I am guilty of it on an almost monthly basis. The problem comes when you do it too often and do not look after yourself properly between those times.

We are getting fatter, lazier, and dumber... thank god someone had the guts to stand up and point out one of the leading causes of obesity and heart disease! It is the habit by which they drink (and eat of course) that causes these problems. In fact there is great evidence to suggest that moderate drinking (1-2 standard drinks per day with 1-2 AFDs) actually reduces your risk of obesity and heart disease (as well as all the other health problems associated).

Thats my 2 cents anyway...

PS: Doc, a middy is a schooner of midstrength (one standard drink).
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby Boonie » Monday Jun 16, 2008 5:17 pm

A Middy in NSW is about 285ml of Standard beer....you either ask for a Schooner 425ml-50ml for the head=375ml or a Middy in most pubs.
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Postby Iron-Haggis » Monday Jun 16, 2008 5:47 pm

Punk in Drublic
Iron-Haggis

Postby Kevnlis » Monday Jun 16, 2008 5:54 pm

Yes, but Doc lives in Adelaide, which is backward and calls a pot a schooner... I lived there for 2 years... I learnt to deal with these people... :lol:
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby lethaldog » Tuesday Jun 17, 2008 8:37 am

Kevnlis wrote:It has been known for ages that drinking 4 standard drinks in a day starts to have long term adverse effects on your health.

I have to disagree with Liz and say that the governement has known about this for some time and sat on its thumbs.

I think the AMA has done well to get more information before stepping up and doing what the helth minister should have done long before.

Binge drinking is a VERY serious problem with our youth, if you do not believe me spend a Saturday night in your local hip club, get there at 11, and leave with the crowd when they are forced, spend some time outside watching these poor kids as they exit.

Do these people not deserve to know what this is doing to them long term? Do they not deserve the proper education and information?

I will admit when I was in Uni we used to let loose on Sat night, but nothing like what happenes these days!

Certainly it is not a major problem to have 4 or more standard drinks in a single 24 hour period (though I do not recommend ever having more than 6 myself), I am guilty of it on an almost monthly basis. The problem comes when you do it too often and do not look after yourself properly between those times.

We are getting fatter, lazier, and dumber... thank god someone had the guts to stand up and point out one of the leading causes of obesity and heart disease! It is the habit by which they drink (and eat of course) that causes these problems. In fact there is great evidence to suggest that moderate drinking (1-2 standard drinks per day with 1-2 AFDs) actually reduces your risk of obesity and heart disease (as well as all the other health problems associated).

Thats my 2 cents anyway...

PS: Doc, a middy is a schooner of midstrength (one standard drink).

pppfffftttt, i look at this the same way i do smokers ( which i also am) if you dont know that it is bad for you then you deserve what you get anyway, it does not take a scientist to tell me that doing something that i enjoy is gonna hurt me, just about everything good will :lol:
On a serious note, alchohol is basically a mind altering drug and even if you were the dumbest prick on the planet, wouldnt you have to sooner or later ask what it might be doing to you not to mention that there has been many generations of alcos in the world along with drug addicts and smokers so most can see the affects first hand if they care to look.

I say stay out of ppls lives and let them decide for themselves :wink:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby Clean Brewer » Tuesday Jun 17, 2008 9:41 am

lethaldog wrote:Binge drinking is a VERY serious problem with our youth, if you do not believe me spend a Saturday night in your local hip club, get there at 11, and leave with the crowd when they are forced, spend some time outside watching these poor kids as they exit.

The problem is with all the bullshit going on at the moment with alcho pops, binge drinking etc etc and especially pubs, clubs and another system that was put into place to control what/how much people drank a little more was a thing called RESPONSIBLE SERVICE OF ALCOHOL(R.S.A).

This certificate is a pre-requisite for most Employees that want to work in a Restaurant, Bar, Club etc etc yet how often is it put to use on patrons or how long before it is used on someone, you generally have to be f--king paraletic before you are refused service of alcohol and of course the proprietors/managers of these venues are not going to refuse people spending money on booze(they are there to make money), the blinder you get the more money you spend..

I was a regular patron at pubs/clubs up until 2 years ago and can tell first hand how many people people were continually served that were smashed beyond regognition, certainly they were not following R.S.A guidelines serving these people.

Not once have I heard anything about enforcing Responsible Service of Alcohol in these venues in all the who ha that has been going on, most young people that hit the town on a weekend are probably already blind enough before they hit these pubs/clubs, there for generally should not be served once they enter if the venue was following R.S.A.

Start enforcing this bullshit R.S.A system and there certainly wont be as many dramas as what there is at the moment...
To be updated shortly....

HOMEBREW: IF I HAD TO EXPLAIN, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND
Clean Brewer

Postby PaulSteele » Tuesday Jun 17, 2008 9:45 am

Kevnlis wrote:

I agree that binge drinking is a serious problem, but the legal drinking age is set because 18 is generally understood to be the age that people can make educated decisions for themselves.

I am 18 and regularly head out to town on a saturday night. I know the affects of alcohol on my health, as do most of my mates.

I've been clubbing for years (on account of working as a DJ) and from a combination of experience and good education know how to drink (reasonably) safely while still enjoying a big night out.

My group of mates generally always orders a round of waters for every round of alcoholic drinks. we generally always eat before drinking and generally don't drink to the point of near-death-experiences.

i would say that we are the exception to most people our age, but people know what is going on. i don't think anybody is under any illusions about binge drinking being safe. the problem is one of trying to sway drinking trends towards safer ones.
PaulSteele

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Jun 18, 2008 12:30 pm

Kevnlis wrote:Yes, but Doc lives in Adelaide, which is backward and calls a pot a schooner... I lived there for 2 years... I learnt to deal with these people... :lol:

Oi! :x

I get past all the bollox by asking for a pint 8) :D

Altho in this state if you ask for a pint in most pubs you get 425mL..... its only a good pub that serves up the proper 568mL.

That said, all the pint glasses in my bar are 425mL JS glasses. :shock:

Confused? Think i need more coffee...... :roll:
drsmurto

Postby Trizza » Wednesday Jun 18, 2008 1:28 pm

I'm 21, and a binge drinker.
Alcohol is very dangerous, i go out and see the crazy shit that happens between midnight and 6am every weekend.
But its not the most dangerous things that people my age do.
Ecstasy, Cocaine, Ice & Speed. they are the 4 things people should worry about.
Most people I know have a very apathetic attitude to everything. no one cares that this shit is dangerous.
That’s the problem. Apathy. no one in generation Y cares about drinking too much, taking too much shit or even worry about anything.

We. Just. Don't. Care.
Got Malt?
Trizza

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Jun 18, 2008 1:40 pm

And you are different from every other generation since the 60s how?
drsmurto

Postby ryan » Wednesday Jun 18, 2008 4:33 pm

Hitler, Binge drinkers, druggies, dole bludgers.....personally, I couldn`t give a shit if the lot of them went under a cement truck. :)
Last edited by ryan on Wednesday Jun 18, 2008 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ryan

Postby rwh » Wednesday Jun 18, 2008 4:49 pm

Why not include old people, the disabled or mentally ill, Jews, Romas and other racial minorities while you're at it? :?

Now that I've as good as mentioned Hitler, surely this discussion should be over? ;)
w00t!
rwh

Postby ryan » Wednesday Jun 18, 2008 5:09 pm

I`ve edited my post above and added Hitler to the list to help you out :lol:
ryan

Next

Return to General discussion