Best way to take beer on a plane?

Other topics - beer-related or not.

Best way to take beer on a plane?

Postby chadjaja » Saturday Sep 20, 2008 5:05 pm

I'm heading up north in a few weeks and want to share some hard to find VIC micro brews with a mate as well as some home brew. Hotel beer prices on Hamilton island are a killer too so looking to be a tight ass, save some money and probably get better beer than offered up there.

Has anyone flown jetstar lately and taken beer?

I've done it a few times and I've taken a carton on as carry on and other times they have got us to check it in as special luggage and it actually got there unbroken.

I'm willing to sacrifice and leave 24 empties up there though :lol:
chadjaja

Re: Best way to take beer on a plane?

Postby timmy » Saturday Sep 20, 2008 5:33 pm

You might want to investigate getting them courier'd up there. I wouldn't trust the airlines to carry them without breakages.....

Cheers,

Tim
timmy

Postby chadjaja » Sunday Sep 21, 2008 8:16 am

Ahh I think getting a carton of beer couried up the far north of Queensland and off to an island would cost just a bit too much :wink: :shock:

Damn airlines have no email so on hold I'd expect to be for at least 2 hours.
chadjaja

Postby spatch » Monday Sep 29, 2008 7:49 pm

Not sure. I was tempted to try bring some "Tusker" back from Vanuatu last week
but chickened out.
Our duty free Bundy OP, Jim Beam Black and Pernot was fine in the overheads but they
are considerably thicker glass I guess.
That was with VirginBlue and we copped some nasty turbulence coming into Melb on Sat night.
Good luck.
spatch

Postby Throsby » Friday Oct 03, 2008 9:56 am

I haven't flown very often but shall be flying to Brisbane in a week or three with Jetstar.

Do they actually have a policy on BYO beer? I would presume if I can carry it and nurse it then as long as it remains unopened for the flight then there would be no dramas.

Seeing as I have a 6:30am blast off and it's only an hour flight I can probably get by without cracking one open.

Maybe.

Do Jetstar sell beer on early morning flights? Reasonable beers? Reasonable prices?

Cheers,

Throsby
Throsby

Postby scblack » Friday Oct 03, 2008 3:34 pm

I have flown from Perth to Sydney with an esky as my carry-on luggage, full of wine bottles. Wine bought at the wineries around Margaret River. That was with Qantas.

I see no reason why you could not fill an esky with beer and do the same. As long as it is a size to fit in the overhead section.
"Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer." - Dave Barry.
scblack

Postby Liz E » Saturday Oct 04, 2008 5:38 pm

A maximum of 5 litres of alcoholic beverages is permitted per person as carry on luggage according to current C.A.S.A. rulings http://www.casa.gov.au/dg/luggage/dgtable.htm. If you enjoy broken glass and wet belongings in your suitcase you can put the same in your checked-in luggage as well. :twisted: Note this is the maximum allowable. It's up the each airline to impose their own limits not exceeding the 5 litre rule.
Liz E

Postby warra48 » Saturday Oct 04, 2008 6:40 pm

I find the best way to take beer on a plane is to ingest it.
warra48

Postby Goofinder » Monday Oct 06, 2008 7:41 pm

I brought 6 bottles back from Sweden a couple of years ago. I just put them inside a pair of socks and had them in the suitcase with everything else. No breakages.
Goofinder

Postby rwh » Wednesday Oct 15, 2008 2:58 pm

Yep, padding is the key. If anything, the stuff is likely to be crushed. So having a bit of padding between bottles spreads the impulse point over a larger area and gives you a much higher chance of the bottle surviving. I'd also recommend wrapping it in something waterproof to avoid your clothes being soaked if you get a breakage. I'm guessing a slab would weigh about 12kg or so, so it would leave a bit of baggage allocation for other things. :)
w00t!
rwh

Postby Throsby » Wednesday Oct 15, 2008 7:31 pm

I see.

I was planning on ingesting the beer, as Warra suggested. Pre-flight, mid-flight, etc.

Probably unwise.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll try to go cold turkey for the hour or so.

Cheers,

Throsby
Throsby

Postby chadjaja » Wednesday Oct 15, 2008 8:33 pm

Well I'm currently packing and after paying $53 for a carton of coopers pale ale on the weekend down the coast at Apollo Bay I think taking some beer to an island resort is a good idea.

I'm packing some in the suitcase with my clothes in bags as suggested and taking some more as carry on. Worst case is they make me pack it all in the suitcase. Beach towells should do the job nicely though.

Off to the land of XXXX soon enough and I don't feel like trying to fit in :roll:
chadjaja

Postby Boonie » Thursday Oct 16, 2008 8:39 pm

If you happen to be going near the Gold Coast, try and get your hands on some Duke Beer.

If you just want to have the beer when you get there, I agree to stuff the beer in the suitcase with plenty of padding.....I did this years ago and I packed towels on the bottom, beer laying flat with socks inbetween each bottle and then clothes on top of that....worked a treat.

Cheers

Boonie
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Postby Trough Lolly » Friday Nov 21, 2008 7:38 pm

A carryon backpack is an excellent device to hold beer, Oktoberfest Munich Beersteins etc wrapped up by a windcheater and carefully placed in the overhead locker! Just glare at the W@nker trying to stuff their plaster bought in Italy statue etc on top of your precious cargo!

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Return to General discussion