Boatrocker 'Alpha Queen'...

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Boatrocker 'Alpha Queen'...

Postby bendybenbeer » Friday Jun 05, 2009 10:36 am

Anyone tried this new beer? Got one the other day at the South Melbourne market... Not too bad. Pretty hoppy nose, good hop flavour & bitterness. Gotta say, for a contract brewed beer, this one seems to break all the rules. I was a bit sceptical at first, seeing as they openly say it's a contract beer, but they have done a first rate effort... It says on the label they are planning on starting a brewery in Melbourne... would be quite a good addition to the brewery scene here....
bendybenbeer

Re: Boatrocker 'Alpha Queen'...

Postby svyturys » Sunday Jun 07, 2009 3:15 pm

I haven't tried or even seen it.
Could you give us some details?
Like cost, and who is it contracted by?
If it's available in Melbourne I'll keep my out for it.
Cheers
"In the beginning was the wort..."
svyturys

Postby bendybenbeer » Monday Jun 08, 2009 12:14 pm

I just stumbled across it at Swords in the South Melbourne Market...They were doing a tasting, like they do most weeks. Grabbed a six pack, which set me back about $20... No idea who contracts the beer for them... Had a look at their website to get more info, but couldn't find any. Did find a list of stockists though... http://www.boatrocker.com.au/where.html
bendybenbeer

Postby svyturys » Monday Jun 08, 2009 2:58 pm

Thanks heaps, bendybenbeer.

A very interesting little website.
And they've gone to the effort of putting up recipes for the culinary minded.

There seems to be plenty of outlets handy to me, so I'll give it a go.

It's a very interesting twist on homebrewing that these guys have done. Sit at home and make the perfect beer in your garage, then presumably, licence the recipe to an established brewer for mass production.

A bit like the relationship between a band and a record company/label.

Mmmmm, this opens up possibilities for any keen AG brewer. (The parallels to the recording industry circa 1963/64 pre Beatles leap out at me. Pre Beatles most music was manufactured in-house and would follow tried and true formulas (CUB, Lion/Nathan with in-house brewers). Post Beatles every recording company was scouring the streets to find the next flavour.)

Yeah, the mind boggles

Cheers
"In the beginning was the wort..."
svyturys

Return to The beer you buy