Amsterdam Mariner

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Re: Amsterdam Mariner

Postby Clean Brewer » Tuesday May 20, 2008 11:50 pm

This could be contoversial.... :lol:
To be updated shortly....

HOMEBREW: IF I HAD TO EXPLAIN, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND
Clean Brewer

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday May 21, 2008 12:37 pm

Raw Beer Grin wrote:Amsterdam Mariner is not that bad you snobby buggers.Better than some local swill that I can think of.OeTTINGER pils is a lovely beer for the price, top value.I've yet to taste a HB lager that has the crisp refreshing/filtered quality that a mega brewery can produce(maybe it's the pasteurisation :? ).Ales are easy (and flavoursome) to make in the shed, but a real refreshing lager requires something that HB just can't match.Always too much mouthfeel and too many esters for my palate.

RBG

I made a czech pils, 100% weyermann pilsner malt, 100% saaz. Fermented at 11C with the budvar yeast and lagered for 2 months.

Shat all over that Oetinger rubbish.
drsmurto

Postby Kevnlis » Wednesday May 21, 2008 12:41 pm

Raw Beer Grin wrote:Amsterdam Mariner is not that bad you snobby buggers.Better than some local swill that I can think of.OeTTINGER pils is a lovely beer for the price, top value.I've yet to taste a HB lager that has the crisp refreshing/filtered quality that a mega brewery can produce(maybe it's the pasteurisation :? ).Ales are easy (and flavoursome) to make in the shed, but a real refreshing lager requires something that HB just can't match.Always too much mouthfeel and too many esters for my palate.

RBG

I currently have a triple decocted 100% Wey Bo Pils done with D Saaz that you may be interested in?

Shits all over OeTTINGER and cost about half as much. Now thats value! :?
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby Raw Beer Grin » Wednesday May 21, 2008 5:23 pm

Yeah, I'm hearin ya guys.I'm sure your beers were great and you loved em.
I was only putting in my 2c worth of my personal(worthless to any one but me) opinon.
I'll stick with me ales and get my lager fix commercially. :wink:
A Rag Man, Rub Valuer.
Raw Beer Grin

Postby earle » Thursday May 22, 2008 8:14 am

I would agree with you Raw Beer Grin that there are a lot of shit home brew lagers out there, especially those made with a lager tin, kilo of sugar and dex, fermented with the kit yeast which is probably a lager/ale mix at 25 degrees. These really can't be called lagers by anyone who knows even a little about beer.

I was only putting in my 2c worth of my personal(worthless to any one but me) opinon.
I'll stick with me ales and get my lager fix commercially.

I guess the question is have you tasted any all malt home brew lagers that have been fermented with a quality lager yeast at the right temperature and then racked or lagered for an appropriate length of time, such as those Doc and Kev refer to? Unfortunately I haven't so I can't make a statement saying all HB lagers are shit.
earle

Postby Kevnlis » Thursday May 22, 2008 8:52 am

earle wrote:I would agree with you Raw Beer Grin that there are a lot of shit home brew lagers out there, especially those made with a lager tin, kilo of sugar and dex, fermented with the kit yeast which is probably a lager/ale mix at 25 degrees. These really can't be called lagers by anyone who knows even a little about beer.

I'll stick with me ales and get my lager fix commercially.

I guess the question is have you tasted any all malt home brew lagers that have been fermented with a quality lager yeast at the right temperature and then racked or lagered for an appropriate length of time, such as those Doc and Kev refer to? Unfortunately I haven't so I can't make a statement saying all HB lagers are shit.

Bundy is just a hop and a skip mate. Plenty on tap to see us through a night or two ;)
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby Timmsy » Thursday May 22, 2008 9:03 am

for $12 a six pack its disgusting. Id rather go buy a six pack of Coopers Sparkling Ale for $13 hahaha gota love Adelaide! but it aint top bad for the price..... Better then what my mate drinks bloody xxxx gold in a can and thay like it because its cheap and reckons it taste nice! Like what the it taste nice?? there is something wrong with these fellas that drink that rubbish, i tell em its cheaper to drink water!
Ah, beer, my one weakness. My Achille's heel, if you will.
Timmsy

Postby earle » Thursday May 22, 2008 1:22 pm

Bundy is just a hop and a skip mate.

Hmmm, I do have some friends moved to Bundy from here that I need to visit. One day. Its still 750km though. :roll:
earle

Postby Raw Beer Grin » Thursday May 22, 2008 4:33 pm

earle wrote:

Yep plenty of em, and even ones from Micro's as well.They just seem to have too many esters still about em, and lack that truly crisp character that I associate with lagers.I guess filtering and the specs of the malt commercial brewers use would come into it too.Not saying that there is anything wrong with HB lagers per se, they are still nice beers, just not clean and crisp like a chec pils or a dutch lager is all.
A Rag Man, Rub Valuer.
Raw Beer Grin

Postby rwh » Thursday May 22, 2008 4:44 pm

I'd bet it's the water.
w00t!
rwh

Postby Kevnlis » Thursday May 22, 2008 4:58 pm

rwh wrote:I'd bet it's the water.

Agreed.

Raw Beer Grin wrote:I guess filtering and the specs of the malt commercial brewers use would come into it too.

Who says HB can't be filtered?!?!

Also, the big boys use the same malts we do... they just have bigger bags :shock: :lol:
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby drsmurto » Monday May 26, 2008 2:07 pm

Yup. Use rainwater in my pilsners. Didnt filter but no reason you cant. After more than 4 weeks lagering the beer was brilliantly clear. Clean, crisp, just like a czech pils should be. Good yeast and pitching the right amount also plays a big role - underpitching in lagers is all too common and will stress the yeast and cause off flavours that have no where to hide in a pilsner.
drsmurto

Postby Jawaman » Wednesday May 28, 2008 11:59 pm

In the old days before I started HB, the mariner was my pick over the VB or West End Draught in value for money and taste. Just couple of days ago I tasted my very first lager. Ok, it took me more than 3 weeks to ferment it and lager at 2 C for another 3 weeks but at the end I couldn't believe the taste difference....miles ahead of mariner and well worth the wait. Even when I considered the cost (about $11 a carton ), I have been seriously thinking converting part of my shed into a proper coolroom so I could make more of this staff and live out my days as lager king. Now if I go out I'd rather spend few extra bucks on a good beer knowing that a nice lager/ale is waiting for me at home also. No more mariner or heineken (the down under version) for me.
Jawaman

Postby Biernut » Thursday May 29, 2008 4:48 pm

I wouldn't rubbish AM, not a bad drop for the price although my son reckons it make him fart and his missus has put a black ban on the stuff. When on special it can get down to almost three bucks a litre which is pretty keen for a imported beer. and as for the Oettenger which has just made an apearance recently down here in Tassie not a bad beer for the money either. The European taste is one that I have been trying to emulate in homebrew for years and have never came close.
Biernut

Postby Biernut » Tuesday Jul 01, 2008 4:58 pm

RBG

Then you haven't tasted mine :roll:
Biernut

Previous

Return to The beer you buy