how my first extract went

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

how my first extract went

Postby MiniMoose » Monday Nov 12, 2007 10:24 pm

Firstky, i proud to to say i am one of the lucky ones who has left the tap open while filling the fermenter with wort from the kettle 8)

i lost about a litre of wort before my partner told me! to compensate for the lost fermentables i filled only to 19 Litres, instead of 21L. if i didnt lose any wort and filled to 19L the est SG would have been 1060, whereas with the lost wort it came out to 1049. Could have been alot worse though.

I didnt allow for enough evaportion in the kettle so i ended up with less volume than i planned on, lessening the hop bitternes isomerization. i could see that the wort was struggling to take in any more bitterness towards the later part of the boil. in hindsight i should have just added more water.

i also lost a bit of wort to the huge amount of Hop cones i iused. although i must say, it was a beautiful sight seing the kettle so full of hops :D

i used NZ cascade hop flowers, and NZ B Saaz flowers from craftbrewer, and i must say using cones was prettty cool. i bittered wtih 13.4% green bullet pellets. just got to get some things sorted out like a better way to strain(i get my partner to hold large hop bag and i pour the wort through) tto make things smoother.

all in all though i gained lots of valuable experience from tonights brew, and it was most fun.

If anyone wants to know what i brewed it can be found in the recipes section under New world india pale ale.

Peace and Happy brewing, MiniMoose.
MiniMoose