Basic brewing instructions

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Re: Basic brewing instructions

Postby Boonie » Thursday Apr 21, 2011 3:32 pm

warra48 wrote:
Bubble wrote:When doing a brew, and you reach the bottling stage and you do find it to be bad smelling or just 'off', do you still bottle and hope or what? Also is it still drinkable, what i mean is whats the worst that could happen - the shits maybe? :shock:

Depends what the smell is like. Different yeasts can give off rather unpleasant aromas during fermentation, such as sulphur (think of a thick fart) etc, so I wouldn't be put off by that. I normally give my brews at least 2 weeks in primary, and up to 4 weeks, before bottling. Time gives the yeast an opportunity to clean up fermentation by-products, and will also often remove objectionable aromas, such as a sulphur smell. Even when bottled, it often still cleans up.

I'd go for bottling it. Why chuck a brew when it may turn out well after sufficient time in primary and bottle?

The beer will not kill you, even if it is infected. Remember there are some styles of beer which deliberately use what are effectively infections (such as Lambics, Berliner Weisse etc)), and people survive very nicely after consuming those. An infection shouldn't give you "shite" symptoms.

Totally agree...Just be careful where you put them if you think they are "off"

Reason I say this is when I first started I had a few that went "off" and I put them in bottles. They did not explode but when I opened them, it was like champagne so I can only imagine the pressure on the bottle walls.

Cheers

Boonie
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Postby warra48 » Thursday Apr 21, 2011 4:58 pm

Boonie,

Great to see you are still around.

How's the banking world treating you?
Hope you are still enjoying some of your now famous "Boonie's LCPA" brews.
warra48

Postby Boonie » Thursday Apr 21, 2011 5:33 pm

Hi warra,

Yeah mate, still in banking. Don't get on much these days, too much happening and my brewing has been suffering....

Still making the LCPA every now and again when I feel the urge, tried different variances but the original is still lovely and hoppy. Moved a couple of times (bought and sold) and lost my brew room, that's next on the hit list, big verandah (48 sqm) incorporating brew room, sink and my Kegs on tap at a bar.
Boonie

Postby Tipsy » Friday Apr 22, 2011 12:27 am

Can I come to the verandah warming?
Tipsy

Postby Boonie » Friday Apr 22, 2011 8:51 am

Sure, so far I have 70 excluding relatives. :shock:

Just back from Bali, so I am very inspired with lots of ideas.
Boonie

Previous

Return to Making beer