Simple things that make HB better

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Postby Duane » Friday Jul 28, 2006 10:03 am

If boiling wort and adding hops use a hop bag so you get less hop trub.
I had mum make me a few (SWMBO cant sew) out of very fine curtain mesh with a drawstring. Each hop addition just chuck in bag and add to boil. Good for dry hopping in fermenter as well.
Also, im in the liquid yeast brigade.
Duane

coopers bavarian lager

Postby Drunkin Bunyip » Monday Sep 18, 2006 4:46 pm

i just started my second brew of bavarian lager and im not sure wether im better of keepin the fermenter in the bath were its staying around 20-22 degrees or wether i should chuck it in my old fridge wer it may get as cold as 9 degrees. any help
BICKIDY BAM!
Drunkin Bunyip

Re: coopers bavarian lager

Postby lethaldog » Monday Sep 18, 2006 4:57 pm

Drunkin Bunyip wrote:i just started my second brew of bavarian lager and im not sure wether im better of keepin the fermenter in the bath were its staying around 20-22 degrees or wether i should chuck it in my old fridge wer it may get as cold as 9 degrees. any help

Did you use the kit yeast as im pretty sure that most if not all coopers kits( if thats what you used) come with ale yeasts so the temp would be fine, in any case your better off not varying the temp to much during fermenting :lol:
lethaldog

Postby rwh » Monday Sep 18, 2006 5:40 pm

From this thread (sticky at the top of forum):

http://www.homebrewandbeer.com/forum/vi ... .php?t=571

International Series Bavarian Lager and Brewmaster Selection Pilsener are Saflager (P is stamped next to useby date).

So you can do either temp. 9°C will give you a more traditional lager, the higher temp will give you an american "steam beer".
w00t!
rwh

Postby Drunkin Bunyip » Tuesday Sep 19, 2006 5:21 pm

cheers thats good to knowe does any1 knowe were any home brew shops r in adelaide and can any 1 tell me how i should go about racking my beer as im not really sure wat that meens if its just taking the wort from one fermenter to another wqats the best way to do this and when should it b done in the prosess???
BICKIDY BAM!
Drunkin Bunyip

Postby Timmsy » Tuesday Sep 19, 2006 5:23 pm

Drunkin Bunyip wrote:cheers thats good to knowe does any1 knowe were any home brew shops r in adelaide and can any 1 tell me how i should go about racking my beer as im not really sure wat that meens if its just taking the wort from one fermenter to another wqats the best way to do this and when should it b done in the prosess???

There are a few around mate.... Where abouts are you??
Timmsy

Postby rwh » Tuesday Sep 19, 2006 6:09 pm

Drunkin Bunyip wrote:can any 1 tell me how i should go about racking my beer as im not really sure wat that meens if its just taking the wort from one fermenter to another wqats the best way to do this and when should it b done in the prosess???

The search function really is wonderful...

http://www.homebrewandbeer.com/forum/vi ... ht=racking
http://www.homebrewandbeer.com/forum/vi ... ht=racking
w00t!
rwh

Postby Drunkin Bunyip » Tuesday Sep 19, 2006 6:58 pm

im in klemzig area but ill travel cheers
BICKIDY BAM!
Drunkin Bunyip

Postby Drunkin Bunyip » Tuesday Sep 19, 2006 7:11 pm

ok so i understand how to rack and y not sure if i will im only on my second brew and i havent tasted my fist 1 yet im doin the coopers bavarian lager it says to leev it in the fermenter for about a week but it sounds like mayb i should leev it there 4 longer is this tru
BICKIDY BAM!
Drunkin Bunyip

Postby Boonie » Tuesday Sep 19, 2006 7:30 pm

Drunkin Bunyip wrote:ok so i understand how to rack and y not sure if i will im only on my second brew and i havent tasted my fist 1 yet im doin the coopers bavarian lager it says to leev it in the fermenter for about a week but it sounds like mayb i should leev it there 4 longer is this tru

Have you a spare fridge that will fit the fermenter/rack ?

If you do, throw it in there after racking for a couple of weeks or more, if you can wait that long. Bavarian has a bit of a smell that dissapates over time....apparently, I drank mine too quick :D + I did not cold condition it.
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Postby Timmsy » Wednesday Sep 20, 2006 8:27 am

Drunkin Bunyip wrote:im in klemzig area but ill travel cheers

I either go to

Brewmaker Home Brewing
560 North east Road
Holden Hill
8369 3649

Brewcraft (theres about 6 of them)
154 Henley Beach Road
Torrensville
8234 9544

The bake and Brew shop
106a Prospect Road
Prospect
8342 0244

And off course Grumpys where im heading this weekend

Grumpys Brewhaus
115 Mt Barker Road
Verdun
8188 1133
Timmsy

Postby Drunkin Bunyip » Wednesday Sep 20, 2006 4:29 pm

cheers guys good stuff i do have a fridge i could put it in but i dont have the shit to rack it with i dont knowe if i can wait that long either im 2 keen to try it wat if i wer to just put the fermenter its in now in the fridge what effect might that have? and how was your bavarian Boonie coz im an alchoholic and i just bought a house and have no money for beers! and need to b able to drink
:wink:
BICKIDY BAM!
Drunkin Bunyip

Postby rwh » Wednesday Sep 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Seeing as this is your first brew ever, I'd just bottle the thing, let it carbonate for a week or so, then:

1. Drink some
2. Put some in the fridge to cold condition for a few weeks

Try not to go overboard with step 1 because your beer will taste heaps better after a month than after a week.

It's probably not worth getting into racking and cold conditioning and stuff until you're sure you want to keep brewing and have the money for the extra equipment. Just keep it simple, gain experience, and work up from there.
w00t!
rwh

Postby Boonie » Wednesday Sep 20, 2006 5:06 pm

Drunkin Bunyip wrote:cheers guys good stuff i do have a fridge i could put it in but i dont have the shit to rack it with i dont knowe if i can wait that long either im 2 keen to try it wat if i wer to just put the fermenter its in now in the fridge what effect might that have? and how was your bavarian Boonie coz im an alchoholic and i just bought a house and have no money for beers! and need to b able to drink
:wink:

Been there, no money that is :wink: , not alcoholic....yet :lol:

I reckon mine was pretty good. It was my Xmas beer last year as I had not tried it yet and had read about the different yeast.

I gave a couple to my relo's and they thought it was pretty good. The smell was still there, but a lot milder over time.

I would just bottle and leave at a decent temp, if you can, to help CO2 (Bubbles). Then I would throw in fridge for at least a week before trying (Or 24 hours in my case, just cannot help myself).

Just remember that over time these will improve out of sight.

Put 2 bottles away and drink them at 3-6 months or even 12 if you have the reserve bottles. I have done this and the taste changes for the better :D

If you do not like these, keep trying different brands. My first was a Tooheys and it was shite. But I kept at it and I would not go back. Love the taste and it is a genuine hobby that has rewards 8)
Boonie

Postby Drunkin Bunyip » Wednesday Sep 20, 2006 5:07 pm

thanx man ill do that but im gonna have to keep brewing as a drinking nesessity my $10 goon bag days r over but still i am really enjoying the whole prosses a fair bit can c it lasting even wen i can afford manufactured brews
BICKIDY BAM!
Drunkin Bunyip

Postby Drunkin Bunyip » Thursday Sep 21, 2006 6:43 pm

ok so wat exactly is a britta some sort of filter?
i just bougt the aussie pale ale and ive got the coopers brew enhanser 2(witch it sugests to use) and 500g ldm what would happen if i put both of them in the brew ay? and does any 1 have a sugestion 4 some other ingreedients 4 the aussie pale ale?
ohhh no! does the fact that i have used unfiltered adelaide water meen my beer will b no good :( :( :shock: :shock: :(
BICKIDY BAM!
Drunkin Bunyip

Postby Boonie » Thursday Sep 21, 2006 7:39 pm

Drunkin Bunyip wrote:ok so wat exactly is a britta some sort of filter?
i just bougt the aussie pale ale and ive got the coopers brew enhanser 2(witch it sugests to use) and 500g ldm what would happen if i put both of them in the brew ay? and does any 1 have a sugestion 4 some other ingreedients 4 the aussie pale ale?
ohhh no! does the fact that i have used unfiltered adelaide water meen my beer will b no good :( :( :shock: :shock: :(

Brita is a water filter, had one, I didn't use it, but if your waters shite, it might pay to invest in one.

Use the ldm with the BE2. If you put it in it will increase % of alcohol slightly, but, taste better (in my opinion). Loving the malt. :D
The ones where I have added Malt, have a better head and mouthfeel, not so watery. :D

Just try it as is to see if you like that style first, so that you know how bad or good it is. After that one try the same but with Hallertau at brewing stage and Saaz at racking stage, if you have a 2nd fermenter. If you do not have a 2nd fermenter, brew just the Hallertau for 30 Mins and throw in at start. I have had a gr8 beer just using Hallertau, Coopers Pale Ale and :shock: 1 KG Dextrose :shock: + 500g Malt.

Alot of guys use just malt on this site. but normally 1kg+.

In regards to Adelaide water stuffing your brew, dunno how bad Adelaide H20 is :? :?

Good luck and keep brewin' til you find your niche
Boonie

Postby Ahutchy » Wednesday Sep 27, 2006 6:42 pm

No one has mentioned cleanliness and sanitation. In my book this is the most important thing, but then maybe I'm just sensitive as I have had so many infection problems!!!

Maybe its just me. I have in the past made my brewing perhaps overly complicated though. Just getting back into it with a few kit brews to make sure my new brewing environment is bug free.

Any thoughts on this subject?

Thanks, Andrew.
Ahutchy

Postby lethaldog » Wednesday Sep 27, 2006 6:56 pm

Ahutchy wrote:No one has mentioned cleanliness and sanitation. In my book this is the most important thing, but then maybe I'm just sensitive as I have had so many infection problems!!!

Maybe its just me. I have in the past made my brewing perhaps overly complicated though. Just getting back into it with a few kit brews to make sure my new brewing environment is bug free.

Any thoughts on this subject?

Thanks, Andrew.

I think that all that goes without saying and as you have obviously learnt from your mistakes in the past so have most of us :lol: :lol:
You will find threads on here about sanitising but i think from the way i have seen this thread is that its about how to make a beer that is of better quality i.e Ingredients and moving up the ladder to extracts and grains etc, many people still dont know how or why to add their own hops to a brew, i myself thought my brews were pretty good till i spoke to a few people on here and have since changed my brews and brewing styles and now realise how good it can actually be :lol: :lol:
lethaldog

Postby Beerdrinker32 » Saturday Oct 07, 2006 1:10 am

i put my secondary in the fridge for a week at 4C seems to clear it up heaps leaving only a tiny film in my bottles!!! carbs up perfect too :)
Beerdrinker32

PreviousNext

Return to Making beer