Wetpack not fermenting?

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Wetpack not fermenting?

Postby Paley » Monday May 16, 2016 8:57 pm

Hi all, did my first TCB wetpack Saturday, an IPA, only ever done brews from the can till now, trouble is I stuffed up the boil time, took so long on the camp cooker to get to the boil that I lost track of actual simmering time and added the hops then the "grain juice" after only about 40 mins of simmering, but its not bubbling through the airlock, checked this morning but no activity, took off the lid and no foaming either, had a coopers ale yeast in the fridge so I pitched that thinking maybe the pack yeast was a dud. SG when first pitch was 1050, this morning was 1045. My usual can brews start bubbling after 10 hours or so but don't know whether these are the same in this regard. My question is, have I ruined this by not simmering long enough and this is why its not bubbling? Have just checked the fermenter and there is some pressure in the airlock but no bubbling yet, hopefully it wiil be ok and start doing what it should soon.
Paley

Re: Wetpack not fermenting?

Postby gregb » Monday May 16, 2016 9:29 pm

See this sticky for the not fermenting: http://www.homebrewandbeer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1471, but a drop in SG is generally a pretty reliable indicator that things are on the way. As for the short boil, your brew may not come out exactly as the TCB guys planned but it probably be still drinkable anyway.

Cheers,
Gre
gregb

Re: Wetpack not fermenting?

Postby Paley » Tuesday May 17, 2016 6:27 pm

Thanks Greg, airlock bubbling along nicely now, must have been a dud yeast.
Paley

Return to Making beer