super lagered lager or....not

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

super lagered lager or....not

Postby milliner1986 » Saturday Nov 03, 2012 11:02 am

G'day fellas I've been working away a hell of a lot the last 6 months and i'll be back home for a while soon and keen to get back into brewing.

I have a fermenter full of lager at home in my shed that i had fermenting before i left and didnt have time to bottle. It had been racked after 1 week and i bypassed my thermostat so it was sitting at the normal fridge temp like 4 degrees or so. Now this has been sitting there for 6 months like this. Will I have a super lagered lager or do yas think it will be off? I havent had a chance to look or smell it yet. If it is ok will i need to add a yeast for carbing? I'm pretty sure I used saflager s-23.

Cheers again for your help
milliner1986

Re: super lagered lager or....not

Postby rotten » Saturday Nov 03, 2012 11:28 am

If you racked I believe it will be fine. I would carb as normal. It should be the clearest beer ever
Cheers
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Postby emnpaul » Saturday Nov 03, 2012 1:18 pm

I'm not suer understand your fermentation regime.

You racked it after 1 week in primary. Did you allow it to finish fermenting after that or was it straight down to 4 degrees? If so it may not have finished fermenting. Be very sure it has reached final gravity before bottling.

Otherwise, if it had finished before you went away, provided nothing nasty has got in there I'd say it should be a real good beer.
2000 light beers from home.
emnpaul

Postby Hairy-mic » Saturday Nov 03, 2012 4:59 pm

Drink it and find out :)
Hairy-mic

Postby Bum » Sunday Nov 04, 2012 10:01 am

If it tastes/smells good now and, as emnpaul points out, actually finished fermenting, it'll be fine.

After 6 months I would definitely be thinking about re-seeding some yeast for bottling. Yeah, it'll undo a lot of the good of that lagering time but I don't reckon it'll carb up too great after 6 months in the fridge.
Bum

Return to Making beer