About to start 2nd coopers tin brew

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

About to start 2nd coopers tin brew

Postby Hairy-mic » Tuesday Oct 16, 2012 6:04 pm

Hey guys. I am about 1/2 way through drinking my first coopers homebrew (australian lager) which turned out really well. lovely taste , just a touch on the weak side.

today i bought a coopers pale ale tin, and brew enhancer 2.

before i start the brew im looking for a bit of advice about increasing the abv. According to the website the abv will work out 4-4.5 but going by my previous brew this is normally quite inaccurate (my lager should have been about 4.2 and ended up at about 2.5-3

can i increase the abv by using all the ingredients, but in a lesser volume of water (ie make 17 l instead of 23)
if not what can you recommend. im looking for it to finish from 5.5-6%

i am going to clean an sterilize over the next few days maybe start at the weekend

=any advice is gratefully recieved :)

MIC
Hairy-mic

Re: About to start 2nd coopers tin brew

Postby emnpaul » Tuesday Oct 16, 2012 8:04 pm

Yes, I'd decrease the volume as you've suggested.

There are a number of programs around that will help you with brewing calculations. I use Brewmate. It's free to download. www.brewmate.net/

A simpler calculation tool that will allow you to calculate the effect of volume on your ABV can be found here: http://www.brewcraft.net/wawcs019616/Br ... lator.html

As an aside, I happen to know that if you like hoppy beers, the recipe you're using goes very well at 21 litres with 20g each of willamette and cascade.

Cheers
2000 light beers from home.
emnpaul

Postby Bum » Tuesday Oct 16, 2012 8:36 pm

If you're just after higher abv then another packet of BE2 will work out okay too. Probably slightly less body but for that style I don't see a huge issue.
Bum

Postby Chris2012 » Friday Oct 19, 2012 7:09 am

Another packet of BE2 and 2kg of dextrose :)
Finish your beer!! There are sober kids in Africa
Chris2012

Postby big dave » Friday Oct 19, 2012 9:06 am

You can amp up your brew as much as you like by adding more fermentable sugars. Most ale yeast will cope with chewing through sugars until the beer is around 9%. But the end product will not be a very good beer. Adding dextrose will make rocket fuel, but will thin out your brew and add little else. Adding malt extract will also increase your ABV, but will also contribute some flavour and added mouth-feel. But because it is less readily converted to alcohol, some of the sweetness will be retained, which may need to be offset with additional bittering hops. The Coopers brew enhancers are blends of malt extract and dextrose. Using those brewing calculators and software programs will help you get your brew in balance.

In the end it is about making something that you like to drink. If you are happy with something that tastes like a light, but makes you fall over, then I am not one to judge. :lol:
Currently drinking: BIAB DrS GA, BIAB Californian lager, doppelbock of sorts
In the Pipeline: landlord?
big dave

Return to Making beer