Priming 250ml Bottles

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Priming 250ml Bottles

Postby BrewersApprentice » Monday Jul 16, 2012 5:48 pm

Hey all,
Ive recently got some 250ml Cruiser bottles for the Missus and my priming spoon has for a 330ml spoon should i just cut a little bit back (i use table sugar) in the spoon or does anyone know specific amounts?
*BEER* Now Cheaper Than Fuel!!!!!
BrewersApprentice

Re: Priming 250ml Bottles

Postby melykabeer » Monday Jul 16, 2012 11:15 pm

A bit less than what you would use to prime a 330ml bottle :D haha.. I have used these bottles before and probably not the best way to do it but I just fill the scoop a little less and just guess. Worst case is you give it a full 330ml dose which will just make it a little more fizzy not enough to make a bottle bomb.
melykabeer

Re: Priming 250ml Bottles

Postby emnpaul » Tuesday Jul 17, 2012 8:21 am

Depends how fizzy you want the brew to be. I find regular priming measures a bit over the top. particularly when the beer is given some time to age. For me a heaped quarter teaspoon, using one of those measuring spoons from wifey's baking drawer is about right in 250ml, but if I'm in a hurry and can't find the damn thing then a half teaspoon with a bit tipped out comes pretty close to where I want it.

Looking at it another way, if i remember rightly priming rates for home brew are usually given at 8g white sugar per litre. A teaspoon or priming measure holds very close to six grams, so a half teaspoon holds close to 3g and a quarter teaspoon holds about 1.5g. So, if 250ml is a quarter of a litre, at a priming rate of 8g/L you'll want 2g for 250ml at standard priming rate, which is slightly more than a quarter of a teaspoon.

You might find this tread interesting also. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9784&p=105721&hilit=priming+scoop#p105721

A fun experiment is to prime a few bottles slighgtly more and a few slightly less and mark them as you go, then see which you prefer when it comes time to drink them. Anyway, have a play around and see what does it for you.
2000 light beers from home.
emnpaul

Return to Making beer