weird haze on the inside of my bottles!

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

weird haze on the inside of my bottles!

Postby aydanrogers » Thursday May 24, 2012 1:27 pm

I bottled my batch of dark IPA last week and I checked the bottles yesterday and they have an obvious haze inside the bottle where the beer is. I thought I would try it to make sure it didn't taste funny. It tasted fine to me so I'm not sure what it is. This was my first batch with using starsan and I was wondering if the residual froth from the sanitiser affects the beer in any way? It doesn't look very nice in the bottles :-(

Does anyone have any idea what has caused it?
aydanrogers

Re: weird haze on the inside of my bottles!

Postby warra48 » Thursday May 24, 2012 2:21 pm

How many times have your bottles been refilled?
Sounds to me like beerstone, which is a hazy calcium deposit on the inside of your bottles.
I get it in mine after a few refills, and just clean it out with some hot water and a bottle rush.
Alternatively, I believe you can give the bottle the sodium percarbonate (napisan) treatment, but I've never done that myself.
warra48

Postby warra48 » Thursday May 24, 2012 2:23 pm

It could also be something innocuous as yeast and other substances attempting to drop out of suspension, but clinging to the side of the bottles.
A quick back and forth spin should dislodge it in that case, and it will then drop to the bottom of the bottle.

One thing is certain, it is nothing to do with Starsan.
warra48

Postby aydanrogers » Thursday May 24, 2012 7:01 pm

Its just weird, I havent had this problem before. But I have also never brewed an all grain beer before or a high alcohol one.

It just doesn't look very nice having a film inside the bottle. It also makes the beer really cloudy.
aydanrogers

Postby emnpaul » Thursday May 24, 2012 8:22 pm

Did you gelatine it or use finings of any kind?

Mine stuck to the inside of the bottles (all over, not just the bottom) when I got a bit heavy handed with the gelatine a couple of times.
2000 light beers from home.
emnpaul

Postby aydanrogers » Friday May 25, 2012 7:17 pm

No I didn't use finings. This is the first time that I have ever had this problem before. My only drama is that it doesn't look nice in the bottle. It could possibly gave strange tastes to it but its a dark IPA and I also don't know what I am meant to be tasting :shock:
aydanrogers

Return to Making beer