1st stout. Hop pellets.

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

1st stout. Hop pellets.

Postby Captain Morgan » Thursday Apr 05, 2012 3:05 pm

I've just gone out and bought the following for my first attempt at a homebrew stout. The tin is an original series Coopers Stout:

• 1.5kg Thomas Coopers dark malt extract
• 1kg Dextrose - but probably only going to use 500g, or should I use more?
• 50g Fuggles hop pellets.

With this recipe hopefully I'll get it around 7% right?

What I really need to know is how to treat the hop pellets? Should I use all of them, or half, a third...?

I think I boil them in water yeah? How much water and for how long?

I know these are probably newbie questions, but I'm still only a newbie.

Any additional suggestions - possible things to add?
Captain Morgan

Re: 1st stout. Hop pellets.

Postby emnpaul » Thursday Apr 05, 2012 4:22 pm

G'day Skipper,

I'd go with only 500g dextrose. You'd want your stout to be pretty malty right? If you want more Alcohol I reckon reduce the volume down to 20-21 litres.

Hops in a Stout is a matter of preference really. I prefer to leave them out and let the malt do the talking. If you want to give them a go Fuggles are a good choice IMO. Boil 15g or so in half a litre water for 5 mins then chuck em in when you're mixing up.

I also don't mind the kit yeast in a stout, but if you want it to taste more like a Coopers "bought one" you could try reculturing some of their commercial yeast. The instructions for thisare pinned at the top of the Making Beer page.
2000 light beers from home.
emnpaul

Return to Making beer