Brew Fridges

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Brew Fridges

Postby pmclaren11 » Monday Mar 28, 2011 9:31 pm

Hello,

I invested in a secondhand fridge on the weekend to give my brewing more temp control. I am yet to buy a thermostat for the fridge so I tested what the 'warmest' temp it would go to.

It sits at about 10-12 degrees - so I assume I could use this for lagers now?

What is the best process for brewing lagers - pitch the yeast at the desired temp and then stick straight in the brew fridge at 10-12 degrees?
pmclaren11

Re: Brew Fridges

Postby billybushcook » Tuesday Mar 29, 2011 7:28 am

pmclaren11 wrote:Hello,
What is the best process for brewing lagers - pitch the yeast at the desired temp and then stick straight in the brew fridge at 10-12 degrees?

Depends a bit on what yeast you are using,
Lagers require about double the yeast cells compared to Ales, this means building up large starters or Pitching two pkts at once.
SafLager S-23 recomends pitching a single pkt @ 20 Deg then drop back to 10 or 12, so they will multiply rapidly & I have found this to be OK but probably not Ideal.

Cheers, Mick.
Home brew my Arse, get that Shit to forensics!
billybushcook

Re: Brew Fridges

Postby AidanMatthews » Wednesday Mar 30, 2011 8:53 pm

im getting a fridge soon, ill be setting up temp mate with the probe direct into the fermenter and using a heating pad.

This will adjust the temp of the air to bring the liquid temp to exactly what i set it as.

Remember the air temp is not the same as liquid temp when fermenting due to yeast generating heat whilst fermenting.

As for the yeast question,

I will be cube'ing so those cubes will go into the fridge the day before pitching and set at 12c. By the time i airate and pitch it will be a little above that.

The fermenter will go back into fridge and set for 8 or 12c dependant on yeast.

The yeast starter ive read needs to be 2.5ltrs, however i intend on making a starter that big cooling it and pouring off most of that liquid so i just pitch the slurry.

I think you will be fine with your fridge, try filling a fermentor full of water and cool it then take a temp from the fermenter. add 1 maybe 2 degrees to that and that will be what your beer may be whilst fermenting.
All Grain - Still learning with Every Batch.
AidanMatthews

Return to Making beer