Hey Y'all

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Hey Y'all

Postby BennyBrew » Sunday Mar 27, 2011 4:18 pm

hey,

I am new to experimenting with homebrew, the last batch i brewed was about 6 years ago, and straght out of the can, since then it has just been about still washes.

Since i moved from melbourne to sydney i have decided to get back into homebrew again, this time adding some flavour to it.

I have my first batch on at the moment, the ingrediants are......

Morgans Blue Mountain Lager
Light grain infusion pack
Hersbrucker Finishing Hops
500g Dextrose 250g Maltodextrin 250g Malt Extract - this is the brew shops mix #15 brew booster
and the standard larger yeast from the can

will be interesting to see how this turns out, but would love ideas for the next brew.

Cheers
Ben
BennyBrew

Re: Hey Y'all

Postby timmy » Monday Mar 28, 2011 5:47 pm

Hey Ben,

Sounds like a nice brew. There are a load of 'tried and true' recipes around here, so it would depend on your preferences. Since it's starting to get cool again (and you're already brewing a lager), you might like to try this recipe:
viewtopic.php?t=7991

Cheers,

Tim
timmy

Postby Sonny » Monday Mar 28, 2011 9:11 pm

Hi Benny, I'm a new brewer too. No. 28 fermenting now and 27 on the rack.
What I've learn't so far is that too much ingredients is not good. That's not too many but too much amounts in a kit brew is just too much volume.
Also my taste has changed. I did like strong and malty, then I favored the hoppy beers and now, well I just dunno.
I like it all, but some more than others.

I still want to perfect my Black as I like Tooheys Old, and finally I am getting closer with my new rule of amounts.

I'm still addicted after about 6mths of brewing and there seems no end in sight.

My tip is Coopers Traditional Draught from the LHBS. This beer can do anything. Quality ingredients, whatever is in it.
http://forums.bikeme.tv/
the copper said that he'd 'been waiting all day for me to come along', I replied I got here as faaaast as I could!
Sonny

Postby barrelboy » Tuesday Mar 29, 2011 10:12 am

Sonny wrote:Hi I still want to perfect my Black as I like Tooheys Old, and finally I am getting closer with my new rule of amounts.

Hi Sonny, love Tooheys Old style beers myself. I've been working on Coopers English Bitter, turning out some nice drops.
Regards BB
A barrel a day keeps the doctor away. Drink more piss.
barrelboy

Postby Sonny » Tuesday Mar 29, 2011 5:31 pm

Now that's interesting Benny, I have found the Coopers English Bitter in recommended form a good drop as well. But it lost its flavor as time went on. I then doubled the malt to a kilo of LDME and added some Golden Syrup to try and keep something in it. Yes, it turned out that it now had stuff all flavor young and got better with age.
But I believe there would be a way to make this 'can' great, let me know when it's something you just need more of.

Also, let me know when you make a black better or equal to the Old or Coopers Dark. I will be interested in the recipe, and likewise from me if I break it too.
the copper said that he'd 'been waiting all day for me to come along', I replied I got here as faaaast as I could!
Sonny

Postby jords » Tuesday Mar 29, 2011 8:12 pm

Hi sonny

I am chasing around for a porter recipe that makes me happy. I'm looking for something akin to speights old dark.

DrSmurto mentioned that carafa special I, II or III is an excellent specialty grain to add for those looking to make a porter. Maybe give that a crack?

I'm sure it would make a fantastic beer if added to a can of coopers english bitter and some LDM.

I too am a fan of tooheys old, which is probably the only (relativly) cheap commercial beer I like, aside from coopers pale ale sometimes on tap.

Coopers Dark ale however doesn't do anything for me. I can't seem to find any of the complexity or sweetness I look for in a dark beer.

I'm no expert, just throwing out my thoughts.

Good luck,
jords

Postby BennyBrew » Tuesday Mar 29, 2011 8:29 pm

yeah im not a big bitter drinker, i personaly head towards the larger or a draught, but this time round would love to head down the road of some thing with a bit of a sweet taste

Cheers
Ben
BennyBrew

Postby Sonny » Wednesday Mar 30, 2011 1:40 pm

jords wrote:DrSmurto mentioned that carafa special I, II or III is an excellent specialty grain to add for those looking to make a porter. Maybe give that a crack?

I'm sure it would make a fantastic beer if added to a can of coopers english bitter and some LDM.

Thanks Jords, I will look into this idea. Will let you guys know before I put something down. I reckon most my blacks will now come from amber style kits with added dark ingredients. I no longer think I will get the desired result from dark kits.

BennyBrew wrote:yeah im not a big bitter drinker, i personaly head towards the larger or a draught, but this time round would love to head down the road of some thing with a bit of a sweet taste

I agree, it needs some sweetness. Tooheys Old is very special. I drink it at the club these days when going for dinner with the better half. I just marvel at that sweet, fine head for, well just minutes only before I have to drink it.
Sonny

Postby BennyBrew » Thursday Mar 31, 2011 4:21 pm

Lol sonny thats the truth, just trying to find that right sweetness.

yeah i think i might have to try this tooheys old.
BennyBrew

Postby earle » Thursday Mar 31, 2011 4:39 pm

If your after some sweetness and you're going to steep grains chuck in some crystal or caramunich. Alternatively you could try a tin of amber extract.
earle

Postby Sonny » Thursday Mar 31, 2011 8:26 pm

Hey Earl, I there already.
I'm awaiting the crystal grain beers to condition and I''ll soon taste the results, and I have tried my Amber extract beer and yes it's yummo.
Sonny

Postby BennyBrew » Friday Apr 01, 2011 6:52 pm

sweet will give that a try thanks earl
BennyBrew

Postby barrelboy » Thursday May 19, 2011 1:52 pm

:D
Sonny wrote:Now that's interesting Benny, I have found the Coopers English Bitter in recommended form a good drop as well. But it lost its flavor as time went on. I then doubled the malt to a kilo of LDME and added some Golden Syrup to try and keep something in it. Yes, it turned out that it now had stuff all flavor young and got better with age.
But I believe there would be a way to make this 'can' great, let me know when it's something you just need more of.

Also, let me know when you make a black better or equal to the Old or Coopers Dark. I will be interested in the recipe, and likewise from me if I break it too.

As stated I've been experimenting with Cooper English Bitter. Well I reckon I've got a beauty. Although at this stage only 4 weeks in the bottle this is how it is. Nice creamy head, active bubbles. Head clings to side of glass as consumed.initial taste of sweetness followed by the normal bitterness. However after 30 seconds or so a nice light sweetness feel in the palete. My wife doesn't drink but is a good " sampler" for my brews. She without prompts from my self said the same but on the sweet after taste she ask if I'd used honey. I was braggingly rapped.
Recipe- 1 can Coopers Eng Bitter, 500gm LDME, 100gm soft brown sugar, 200 gm of pure honey (used bush malley)- both brought to boil in 500ml water to dissolve and addedtoadded to wort. 23 Litres, yeast pitched at 22 degrees, fermented at 18. Osg 1056, fsg 1020. In primary for 13 days - bottled. Believe you should try this. EDIT sorry fogot 15ml of liquorice.
Cheers BB :D
A barrel a day keeps the doctor away. Drink more piss.
barrelboy

Return to Making beer