out of date dark ale

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

out of date dark ale

Postby barrelboy » Saturday Mar 26, 2011 11:36 am

Hi all, hope to get some advice - wisdom. I've been
given a can of Coopers Dark Ale, use by date " June 07 "!!! As its in a can would think ok? The under lid yeast I would suspect is rooted. If the can is ok would yeast from a recent Coopers stout can :( be ok? Any suggestions on a brew?
Cheers BB
A barrel a day keeps the doctor away. Drink more piss.
barrelboy

Re: out of date dark ale

Postby matr » Saturday Mar 26, 2011 12:09 pm

Mate for what $10 or $11?? I wouldn't use it. Don't take the risk of using inferior ingredients.

No doubt you will make beer and it will be drinkable (probably) but it won't be good beer.

I believe fresh quality ingredients is right behind sanitation & along side temp control in level of importance..

Cheers, Mat
matr

Postby barrelboy » Saturday Mar 26, 2011 2:07 pm

Your spot on Mat. I was not really looking at it as a beer for "stock" but at little cost can we experiment? Should have said that up front.
Ta BB
A barrel a day keeps the doctor away. Drink more piss.
barrelboy

Postby matr » Saturday Mar 26, 2011 2:53 pm

For experimenting you would still be best going fresh ingredients.

If you're trying a new hop / yeast / grain and you don't like the taste / aroma was it the hops / yeast / grain or the stale goop?

6 months out of date you may get away with it... nearly 4 years.. I don't like your chances :wink:
matr

Return to Making beer