Burnt malt?

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Burnt malt?

Postby Scoot49 » Friday Feb 11, 2011 2:02 pm

So,.... I got my Canadian Blonde bottled, and itched to put something else in, so went with a Cascade Choc Mahogany Porter.....
Thing is I thought I'd do things a bit diff and went for the stove top boil.... As a result I think I have burnt my malt (used 1kg of Half Light Half Dark). I bought my water to the boil before adding, which is where I think I may have gone wrong.

Will this ruin the brew?
Scoot49

Re: What are you brewing?

Postby earle » Friday Feb 11, 2011 2:38 pm

Can you give us a bit more detail of what you did and why you think you burnt it.
earle

Postby Bum » Friday Feb 11, 2011 2:46 pm

Does it taste burned or just look a bit darker?
Bum

Postby Scoot49 » Friday Feb 11, 2011 4:30 pm

It smelt and tasted slightly burnt, BUT when testing after doing the gravity test, it tasted fine....

I added the light/dark malt once the water started boiling.... took it straight off hi heat, and sat it on low heat for about 15 minutes, after stirring in the Cascade Choc Mahogany Porter malt mix.

Im sure it will be fine... was just a bit scared I think lol
Scoot49

Re: Burnt malt?

Postby earle » Friday Feb 11, 2011 4:51 pm

If you put it onto a low heat as soon as you added the malt then I'm sure it will be fine. Perhaps it was the dark malt you were tasting?
earle

Return to Making beer