adding hops and grains to kits

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

adding hops and grains to kits

Postby shammo » Friday Apr 01, 2011 4:15 pm

i was thinking about addings some hops and grains to my next kit brew, but im a bit confused about the processes involved,
can these both be added to hopsock while boiling ingrediants on stove top??

do the grains or hops go into the fermenter, i suppose i wouldnt need hopsock if so.

i was also wondering what size and type of hose i might need to rack to secondary fermenter?

cheers
shammo

Re: adding hops and grains to kits

Postby squirt in the turns » Friday Apr 01, 2011 4:23 pm

DON'T boil the grain! You'll more than likely get horrible tannins in your beer.

The first post in this thread gives some (very) brief instructions on steeping grain. Just steep it in hot water. The temp isn't too important as you're not trying to get any enzymatic action going on, just extract flavour and colour. If it's not boiling but it's too hot to put your hand it, it's probably ok. Steep for an hour or so, either in a bag/sock of some kind which you'll then remove (don't be tempted to squeeze it too hard - tannins again), or strain it into your boil pot, then boil with your malt for at least 10 mins to sterilise.

Hops don't have to be boiled - it depends on what you want from them (flavour, aroma, or both).

Hops are fine in the fermenter, even loose. Given enough time, they'll sink to the bottom. Grains don't go in the fermenter.

Until I got a silicone hose to transfer hot wort, I used to use a vinyl hose from bunnings for racking. Softened with hot water, it fits over the fermenter tap (I/D 10mm, I think). Silicone is better as it's food safe, even at boiling (which your beer won't be). I never noticed it, but some might say that even cold vinyl will impart some plastic flavour.

EDIT: added more info.
squirt in the turns

Postby Sonny » Friday Apr 01, 2011 5:08 pm

Yep as mentioned. Here's my routine;

One saucepan (clean) with newly boiled water, allow to cool for 5mins.
Add grains and maintain about 65deg for at least 20mins.
At the same time, steeping in another saucepan are the hops for the same period of time.

I then strain that grain wort into the big main pot and bring to the boil for near 10mins.
After that, I add to my big pot another 1 to 1.5L of boiled water and then I stir and dissolve my tin and my extra malt into it.
Then I strain the hops into it at the end.

I have since via my food grade hose filled my fermenter over the tap level with what, about 4L of water. I then pour my mixture/wort into the fermenter and then I go to the fridge and get my 10L container of chilled water and add it in as well.

Then I top it up to the mark required with that same food grade hose, making lots & lots of bubbles.
This has worked lately to end at 24deg, so I get to immediately add my yeast starter from the day previous as well as the other 3/4 pack of yeast I have left and waiting in the original packet.

So easy.
I see it all as a step closer to the AG.
http://forums.bikeme.tv/
the copper said that he'd 'been waiting all day for me to come along', I replied I got here as faaaast as I could!
Sonny

Postby shammo » Friday Apr 01, 2011 9:00 pm

thanks guys, great help
shammo

Return to Making beer