Barley name in beersmith

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

Barley name in beersmith

Postby Adamsale » Tuesday Jun 23, 2009 12:06 pm

I need advice on barley... I have ordered some barley and wheat from a market stall.?????? Both raw and grain. what can i put these down as in beersmith..??
When my drinking affects my work the solution is easy. Stop working.
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy.
I save Champagne for my real friends and real pain for my sham friends.
Adamsale

Re: Barley name in beersmith

Postby billybushcook » Saturday Jun 27, 2009 6:20 pm

Firstly, if you have bought them from a market stall....are they malted grains?? I would assume not, more than likely they are just whole grain which is not suitable for brewing unless you intend to malt them yourself, this involves getting the grain to start germinating & then stopping it quickly by means of a kiln or smoker, not an easy thing to do & the process it self is quite finicky.

the grains sold by the HB shops specifically for brewing has already been malted (in most cases), hense it is refered to as "Malt"

The grain in beersmith is mostly all Barley of different strains, breeds & origins (except the wheat, rye & maize)

Cheers, Mick.
billybushcook

Re: Barley name in beersmith

Postby Bizier » Sunday Jun 28, 2009 11:25 pm

Use them in a cereal mash, but you will have to do some research.

I would put them in as torrefied wheat, but use a cereal mash on brew day to gelatinise them.
Bizier