Brew pot

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

Brew pot

Postby dregs » Wednesday Jan 21, 2009 4:25 pm

Hey all,

I'd like to start doing some partials and am getting a big water cooler for the mash, I am also looking at a 40ltr aluminium pot for boiling it is a reasonable price at $107.00, the question is. Is aluminium ok?

The link to the pot is here http://www.underpressure.com.au/web-content/xcart_directory/xcart/product.php?productid=16407&cat=0&page=2 what do guys think of ally.

Cheers
dregs

Re: Brew pot

Postby warra48 » Wednesday Jan 21, 2009 5:27 pm

A 40 litre pot is OK for standard batches of up to about 25 litres final volume. You won't do much bigger batches in them.

I use a 40 litre aluminium kettle, and it works just fine. Nothing wrong with aluminium.

The price is about what I paid couriered to my home from Sydney.

Have a read through John Palmer's on line "How to Brew" on how to clean and condition such a kettle.
warra48

Postby Kevnlis » Wednesday Jan 21, 2009 5:50 pm

Where are you located dregs? Might be able to find something local for you...
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby gregb » Wednesday Jan 21, 2009 5:56 pm

I bought a stainless pot, then stumbled on an ally at a couldn't pass up price. I use the ally more than the stainless.

Cheers,
Greg
gregb

Postby dregs » Wednesday Jan 21, 2009 9:39 pm

you guys are great, thanks for moving the thread to AG, I'm not there yet but honoured just the same :mrgreen:

Thanks for the tips.

Warra, thanks Warra Ally's good and I'll probably only do 23ltr batched from here on in. I'm happy and I'll look at the Palmer, he set me on the extract path. Did you put a tap in it?

Kev! Thanks, I'm in Mackay.

Thanks Greg I'm glad the ally's good, and thanks for moving the thread.

dregs
dregs

Postby Kevnlis » Wednesday Jan 21, 2009 10:36 pm

Mackay eh? Well when I was in Bundy I managed to grab a "crab pot" which was a 37L aly for something like $60 at the local tackle shop. Might be worth having a look around before you pay for one to be posted ;)
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby warra48 » Thursday Jan 22, 2009 6:11 am

dregs wrote:
Warra, thanks Warra Ally's good and I'll probably only do 23ltr batched from here on in. I'm happy and I'll look at the Palmer, he set me on the extract path. Did you put a tap in it?

Yes, putting a tap in an aluminium pot is relatively easy.
I used a hole saw, and carefully drilled it out to just undersize for a threaded pipe. I then used a round file to get a tight fit for the pipe. I used a thick neoprene washer against the inside of the kettle, a metal washer against that and then a nut. On the outside I have just a metal washer and a nut. I used plumbers tape on the inside to stop seepage through the thread of the nut. I tightened it up as much as I could, and it works perfectly. I take my tap off every brew, hose/rinse it out, and soak it in sanitiser. I also boil it from time to time in water.
warra48

Postby dregs » Wednesday Jan 28, 2009 12:03 pm

warra48 wrote:
dregs wrote:

Yes, putting a tap in an aluminium pot is relatively easy.
I used a hole saw, and carefully drilled it out to just undersize for a threaded pipe. I then used a round file to get a tight fit for the pipe. I used a thick neoprene washer against the inside of the kettle, a metal washer against that and then a nut. On the outside I have just a metal washer and a nut. I used plumbers tape on the inside to stop seepage through the thread of the nut. I tightened it up as much as I could, and it works perfectly. I take my tap off every brew, hose/rinse it out, and soak it in sanitiser. I also boil it from time to time in water.

Thanks a lot Warra, I have all my bits a pieces coming soon, I'll have to make a hole in my kettle like you did, should be no probs. I upped my kettle to 50lt as he was out of the 40s, all,s goodas I got for the same price as the 40.

You mentioned John Palmer having some words regarding conditioning of Aly pots, I had a look but couldn't find it, could you direct me? Cheers
dregs

Postby gregb » Wednesday Jan 28, 2009 12:27 pm

gregb

Postby dregs » Wednesday Jan 28, 2009 1:27 pm

thanks Greg
dregs

Postby Ross » Thursday Jan 29, 2009 9:34 pm

dregs wrote:Hey all,

I'd like to start doing some partials and am getting a big water cooler for the mash, I am also looking at a 40ltr aluminium pot for boiling it is a reasonable price at $107.00, the question is. Is aluminium ok?

The link to the pot is here http://www.underpressure.com.au/web-content/xcart_directory/xcart/product.php?productid=16407&cat=0&page=2 what do guys think of ally.

Cheers

hi,

We charge $89.50 for a 40L pot. not listed on the site yet, but drop us a mail if interested.

Cheers
Ross
CraftBrewer

Edit: whoops - just saw you already purchased...should read more carefully
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au
Hops, Grain, Yeast & Brewing Supplies
Ross

Postby dregs » Friday Jan 30, 2009 8:39 am

Ross wrote:
dregs wrote:Hey all,

Cheers

hi,

We charge $89.50 for a 40L pot. not listed on the site yet, but drop us a mail if interested.

Cheers
Ross
CraftBrewer

Edit: whoops - just saw you already purchased...should read more carefully

Yeah, well I would have purchased one from you if I had of know you sold them, I just put in an order with you for other things. I might need another shortly.
dregs

Return to Grain brewing