HLT advice

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

HLT advice

Postby bulp » Friday Mar 14, 2008 2:01 pm

Gday blokes im just in the processes of converting an old 50l keg into a HLT and had a question. Firstly i was planning on fly sparging (i know, i know batch sparging is just as good i just want to try it, somewhat of a personal challenge , i really don't want fly v batch debate :x ) now what i want to know is this Gas or Electric, I was thinking of maybe a temp controlled permenantly mounted immersion element (not even sure how to mount it yet) or just any of the brewing gas burners on the market and control it manually, i have'nt tried either way, what do any fly spargers out there use or could recommend . Cheers
p.s I'm just about to weld in my spigots so i thought i better work out what i'm doing first.
bulp

Re: HLT advice

Postby Ed » Friday Mar 14, 2008 3:03 pm

Bulp, I'm just using a removable immersion element (around $100+) which isn't temp controlled. Some people are using elements from cheap kettles, you just chuck out the rest of the kettle. I would think that the convenience and efficiency of electric heating is more suitable than using gas. You can rig up a temp controller later if you desire. What I like about the hand held immersion element is there's no extra work involved, just plug and play :)

Cheers, Ed
So the bartender says to the horse "Why the long face?"
Ed

Postby regan » Friday Mar 14, 2008 3:34 pm

electric kettle elements work very well for me. i installed 3 of them into a 70lt pot by cutting holes in the side and using the existing kettle seals, nice and easy in theory but not when you dont have the right tools to do it.
the results are great, with three elements runing i can raise the tempreture of 30lt of liquid by 15c every 5 minutes.
beer-o-beer
regan

Postby bulp » Monday Mar 17, 2008 11:06 pm

Thanks for the response fellas i might use both ideas because i think an over the side heater could have many uses. Regan what wattage were the elements you used in your hlt, and how did you connect the electrics does having the 3 elements going at the same time load up your pwr point. i was thinking some cheap kettles from crazy clarks might be the go i sussed them out the other day and they are 2200w and only $10 dollars each. Just not sure how to adapt wiring or if i can run all three of one switch. time to hit the net.
bulp

Postby SpillsMostOfIt » Tuesday Mar 18, 2008 6:57 am

Wiring and breakers will vary from house to house. I have a mate who has a total of 20Amps into his (old) house, so he cannot arc up his HLT if the wife is ironing because she likes to do so in front of the television. I have 20Amp breakers on each power circuit - I routinely brew with two over-the-side immersion elements while listening to the stereo and making a cup of tea.

As a rule of thumb, allow one element per electrical circuit and you won't go too far wrong. If you're not really comfortable with this sort of stuff, it is worth getting some on-site advice from someone who is - particularly if you're building something.

As a matter of survival, if you're using electrical elements when brewing, I *strongly* recommend spending money on a safety switch to help guard against electrocution.
No Mash Tun. No Chill.

No confirmed fatalities.
SpillsMostOfIt

Postby regan » Tuesday Mar 18, 2008 1:52 pm

pulp wrote: Regan what wattage were the elements you used in your hlt, and how did you connect the electrics does having the 3 elements going at the same time load up your pwrpoint. i was thinking some cheap kettles from crazy clarks might be the go i sussed them out the other day and they are 2200w and only $10 dollars each.

as spills said one element per circuit, so i have 2 extension Leeds running from other places with one directly to the wall. the 2200w for $10 each sound like what i am running only i found them in another shop. good luck!
beer-o-beer
regan

Postby bulp » Wednesday Mar 19, 2008 1:40 am

cheers blokes appreciate the advice, my shed has got a safety switch covering all power points so with a bit of luck i won't kill myself maybe just drink myself to death with all the good beer i'll be making !
bulp

Return to Grain brewing