Liquid yeast- how long do they last in the fridge.

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

Liquid yeast- how long do they last in the fridge.

Postby jadk42 » Saturday Jan 12, 2008 3:56 pm

Interested to know how quickly i need to use my first liquid yeast? Whites 802 Pilsner
jadk42

Re: Liquid yeast- how long do they last in the fridge.

Postby Kevnlis » Saturday Jan 12, 2008 4:09 pm

Depends on the date. It was packaged 4 months before the expiry but in most cases should be used within 2 months if you are not making a starter. I however have successfully used cultures 8+ months old.
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby warra48 » Saturday Jan 12, 2008 4:52 pm

I am currently building a starter of WLP830 with an expiry date of Sep '07. It has been stored in my fridge, and was bought out of a fridge at the brewshop.
It has taken off gangbusters, so no problem in building a starter.
I think if you want to direct pitch, I'd suggest you would be wise to use one within its expiry date to ensure a good fermentation.
warra48

Postby jadk42 » Saturday Jan 12, 2008 5:34 pm

Thanks guys for the advice- as a cook who uses yeast a lot in the kitchen , I had a feeling that careful handling of liquid starters could extend life by a great deal.
David

Interested to know what strains you use to? and how you use them as well as how they turn out.
jadk42

Postby The Carbonator » Wednesday Jan 23, 2008 11:15 am

WLP800 Pilsner - Awesome.

WLP802 Czech Budgievoice - I had problems, but might have been my own stupidity. I have bought it twice, and it seems tempremental (spelling?).

WLP830 - my favourite WL lager yeast.

WLP001 is the greatest Ale yeast ever, in my opinion anyway.

And the best liquiud yeast I've ever used is...................Wyeast Pils Urgll 2001. Unbelievable stuff.
I made a few starters and got a good 5 brews from it.
now I just need to track down some more.
The Brewer formerly known as Ilike'emfizzy
The Carbonator

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Jan 23, 2008 11:54 am

Wyeast 1056 - the quintessential american ale yeast, pity it doesnt flocculate better....

1084 - in an irish stout. No complaints.

1098 - in an ESB and currently chewing its way thru a porter.

1007 - german ale yeast i used in an Alt altho i should have made a bigger starter. Alt was tasty all the same.

2000 - the budvar yeast - used this 3 times in succession of pilsners, loved its work altho be vary of a long lag time.

4766 - cider yeast - drinking the cider now made from 18L of berri preservative free apple juice. Nice, dry cider with a good apple nose.

Getting my hands on the elusive 1469 this weekend. Timothy Taylor Landlord clone pencilled in real soon! Also hoping to have a crack at american ale II (1272) and 2206 for my attempt at a maibock.
drsmurto

Return to Grain brewing