porter partial recipe and help.

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

porter partial recipe and help.

Postby MiniMoose » Sunday Nov 18, 2007 6:34 pm

Hello everyone, what do y'all think bout this.

Type: Partial Mash
Date: 7/11/2007
Batch Size: 21.00 L
Brewer: Sandy
Boil Size: 16.00 L
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot 19 Litre
Brewhouse Efficiency: 55.00 %
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.00 kg Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 39.22 % Last 5 minute.
1.50 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 29.41 %
0.30 kg Amber Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 5.88 %
0.30 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.88 %
0.30 kg Chocolate Malt, Pale (250.0 SRM) Grain 5.88 %
0.20 kg Chocolate Wheat Malt (558.0 SRM) Grain 3.92 %
0.48 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.50 kg Dememera Sugar (2.0 SRM) Sugar 9.80 %
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.064 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.39 %
Est Color: 33.3 SRM Color: Color
IBU: 40 or 45 (opinions? on IBUS? using green bullet for bittering, 20g of left over fuggles somewhere, and Goldings for the rest.)

Im gonna get a 19 litre pot,(i have a 16 litre one already) and try my hand at a partial. so i was thinking of using the 16 litre pot as a tun and using a hot but off oven to hold it at something like 67-68 degrees for an hour. Then using one of craftbrewers suspendable hop bags, would pour the mash through the hop bag,to catch the grains and collect the wort into the 19Litre pot then sparging the grains through the huge hop sack that is holding them over the 19L pot. make sense?

So there will be a total of 2.60kg of grain that i will atempt to mash.

so if 3L is reccomended to 1 kg of grain then i would mash in roughly 7.5Litres right? would i then sparge with the same amount?

that would give me 15-16 Litres which would be a good boil volume ?adding the extract at the last 5 min. round 2 litres would boil of as well. then would i just add an extra litre or so half way though the boil.

and i noticed people when doing AG boil the wort for 30 minutes before going into 60 minute hop shedule, why? is it neccesary here?

Also if there is anything you think i would benefit to know then shoot.

Cheers All.
MiniMoose

Postby Trough Lolly » Saturday Dec 29, 2007 6:17 pm

So did you brew it?
With one brewpot, you should have plenty of space to make a decent partial mash. You've got 1.5kg of pale malt that must be mashed and the rest is easily steeped or tossed into the pot with the base malt. What's the rationale behind the half a kilo of sugar? If you want to push up the alcohol levels, I would have added a half kilo of malt rather than just sugar.
Your method is fine; just add the grains to the hop bag (I'm assuming it's big enough for all the grains) and just heat the water on the stove with the bag immersed. Hot water from your hot water system should be under the mash temp and it'll not take long to bring the temp up to the 66C mark which is, IMO, the best general purpose mash temp. Just make sure you stir regularly to ensure that all the grains are wet and you don't end up with a giant doughball (wet on the outside, dry on the inside of the grainbag).
As a general rule of thumb, all grain beers use 2.3L per kilo of grains. You don't need to be exacting about that but when I do a brew, I don't measure the water added to the mashtun by the ml - I go by feel...and a consistency of thick porridge is right in the zone. Marris Otter is a nice quick converter, so all you need to be careful with is the strike temp (the temperature that the water is at such that by the time it's mixed with the grains, you end up at 66C). For a 19L pot, try 75C and have some boiled water in the kettle ready nearby in case you need to lift the mashtun temp a couple of degrees.
adding the extract at the last 5 min. round 2 litres would boil of as well. then would i just add an extra litre or so half way though the boil.

Sounds good....keep good notes to remind yourself of how you achieved the hop bitterness that you'll get using this method. Holding back the extract until late in the boil is a good idea and a sure fire way of getting plenty of bitterness from the boil. If you want to add water during the boil (and it's fine if you do) then make sure you add boiling water to ensure that you don't stuff up the boil at the halfway point.
and i noticed people when doing AG boil the wort for 30 minutes before going into 60 minute hop shedule, why? is it neccesary here?

Some swear by a 90 minute boil for dark beers to get all those yummy melanoidins into the beer, others are happy to stick to 60 minutes. A 60 minute boil with this malt is fine - sure, go for an extra 30 mins if you like, but a 60 min boil is fine to begin with - it's your call.
As for the hops, don't be shy with your bittering addition at the start of the boil - I don't know the alpha acid content of your green bullet hops, but I would 140 HBU's of them (eg 20g at 7% alpha acid or equivalent) and around 20g of Goldings with 20 mins to go in the boil.

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Return to Grain brewing