Blue Moon/Belgian White

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

Blue Moon/Belgian White

Postby Kevnlis » Monday Jul 30, 2007 4:02 pm

I found a recipe here:

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/i ... recipe=182

This looks like a great place to start to get my clone perfected. I do however have a couple questions.

#1 - What exactly are flaked wheat/oats (are they special to brewing or can they be found.made at home? ie. wheaties or rolled oats etc.)?

#2 - Why does he mention that he used raw wheat and would this have changed the final product? If so where could you find it?

#3 - Again he mentions using rice hulls but they are not listed as an ingredient, would they be noticable in the final product?

#4 - He used 15g dried mandarin peel but said zest would be better, any idea how much zest to use?

#5 - Would the orange and corriander be mashed or boiled or added to the fermentor?

Thanks for all the help!
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby James L » Monday Jul 30, 2007 4:57 pm

I'd have a read of the great hoegaarden clone in the recipes section... that'll answer a heap of your questions regarding coriander, orange zest and torrified/rolled/flaked wheat...

I just made a extract hoegaarden, and what i did with the coriander was crush it in the mill (30g). and boil it in the water with everything else. the orange peel i got from grain and grape, it was dried curacao peel from belgium. depending on strength, you can add it as soon as it starts boiling, or at close to the end... i used 20g

I used torrified wheat which apparently can come in many forms.. it can be either puffed wheat, rolled wheat, or something that resembles unpopped popping corn (except its wheat). they should be available from a good HBS.. It is mainly a source of unmalted wheat that gives the cloudiness...rice hulls are used to improve the lautering.

I'm not a AG brewer yet, so i cant really help you with the grains... except that you should use about 55% malted wheat
I freely admit that I was Very Very Drunk....
"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst."
James L

Postby James L » Monday Jul 30, 2007 5:04 pm

But this guys gives other ideas....

http://brewbaron.wordpress.com/tag/home ... -wit-beer/
I freely admit that I was Very Very Drunk....
"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst."
James L

Postby Kevnlis » Monday Jul 30, 2007 5:18 pm

That pretty much answers it all! I am gonna have a go with Wheatbix and rolled oats. About 2K of weatbix and maybe a bit more pilsner than he calls for.

Will post here to let you all know what I do and how it turns out!
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby Danzar » Wednesday Oct 10, 2007 1:05 pm

James L wrote:But this guys gives other ideas....

http://brewbaron.wordpress.com/tag/home ... -wit-beer/

I'm assuming he means cammomile (the herb used in tea).

Interesting. There has been so much talk of a secret ingredient used in a Hoegaarden. I've googled and googled. Most can't put their finger on it, some say cumin and others say a very small amount of cardomom.

I've never seen cammomile mentioned. I think I'm going to give this another shot.

How much would you use though?? Camomile tea is really just a green tea with the herb mixed in so steepeing a few bags may not work (depite the fact that I've been wondering how green tea would go in a brew).
Jesus is coming - look busy
Danzar

Return to Grain brewing