Has anyone got a good partial wheat recipe?

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

Has anyone got a good partial wheat recipe?

Postby timmy » Saturday Jun 09, 2007 9:07 am

Hi all,

I'm looking to get a big pot soon and wanted to have a stab at a partial wheat recipe. Now I have some wheat malt (grains), but from what I've read I will need some barley to mash this with. So I'm thinking along the lines of:
- A tin of Cooper wheat malt extract
- Some wheat malt + barley malt in a mini mash
- Some tettnang or hallertau for bitterness and finishing
- Wyeast 3068 (only cause I love it so much)
- maybe some caraaroma/crystal wheat for a dunkel???

Is anyone able to help out on quantities and methods?

Cheers,

Tim
timmy

Postby Fidelio » Tuesday Jun 19, 2007 12:42 am

The extract will only ruin your beer. If you are already mashing, forget about exctract.

Since you mention you will use wheat malt and not unmalted wheat, you are looking at a German style Weissbier I assume. # 3068 as you mention is a subperb strain for this style.

My recipe I have done a few times, gives excellent results and very straightforward. But you will need to do a protein rest since you are using wheat malt (this is even more true if you are brewing with unmalted wheat).

Recipe for 24 litres:

2.5 kgs Wheat malt
2.5 kgs Pale Ale or Pilsner malt
20 grams Perle 7.6% pellets (boil 60 mins)
5 grams Perle 7.6% pellets (boil 2 mins)
Wyeast #3068 Weihenstephan Wheat

Mash ONLY the wheat malt at 54 C for 25 mins with a grain/water ratio of 1.5 litres per kg. malt. Add the barley malt and water@80 C to hit 66 C. Not 67, not 65, but 66 C. Mash for an additional 60 minutes.
Take a couple of litres and separate from the rest. Boil the bittering hops separately with this and add as an extract before cooling. Boil the rest for 70 minutes, and remember to add the 5 grams of aroma hops to the main boiler a couple of minutes before cooling starts.
Fidelio

Postby timmy » Tuesday Jun 19, 2007 6:22 am

Thanks Fidelio, but I'm not at the mashing stage yet. The most I've done is all-extract with steeped grains. The next step is mini-mash as far as I've heard, but I suppose there's nothing stopping me from doing a proper mash when I get my big pot, provided it's a simple one (ie not a decoction or something like that).

Cheers,

Tim
timmy

Postby yardglass » Tuesday Jun 19, 2007 7:23 am

timmy wrote:Thanks Fidelio, but I'm not at the mashing stage yet. The most I've done is all-extract with steeped grains. The next step is mini-mash as far as I've heard, but I suppose there's nothing stopping me from doing a proper mash when I get my big pot, provided it's a simple one (ie not a decoction or something like that).

Cheers,

Tim

Tim,
I would've liked to have used more wheat in this Partial Recipe, It turned out a very nice Beer, please post the results if you decide to go with it.

Yard
excuse me... your karma just ran over my dogma.

GOOD BREWS
yardglass

Postby timmy » Tuesday Jun 19, 2007 9:08 am

Thanks Yardy. Might give that one a go, but will probably go 1/2 1/2 on the pale malt + wheat malt and then use a tin of coopers wheat malt on top of it.

What do you mean by 'mini mash sparge water'?

Cheers,

Tim
timmy

Postby yardglass » Tuesday Jun 19, 2007 9:16 am

timmy wrote:Thanks Yardy. Might give that one a go, but will probably go 1/2 1/2 on the pale malt + wheat malt and then use a tin of coopers wheat malt on top of it.

What do you mean by 'mini mash sparge water'?

Cheers,

Tim

I used to do it with my Partials on advice from someone, drain the wort you collect from your mash then let your sparge water sit on the grain for a further 10 or 15 min, not sure if it made any diff, made some good beers though 8)

Yard

GOOD BREWS
yardglass

Postby Fidelio » Wednesday Jun 20, 2007 1:33 am

Regardless of full or partial mash, you have to give the wheat malt a protein rest @ about 54 C for 20 minutes before mashing it.
Fidelio

Postby yardglass » Wednesday Jun 20, 2007 5:41 am

Fidelio wrote:Regardless of full or partial mash, you have to give the wheat malt a protein rest @ about 54 C for 20 minutes before mashing it.

Fidelio,

yeah, thanks.
the beer in question was something like my 2nd or 3rd use of grain and i knew nothing of protein rests, diastatic power etc etc etc.
If these guys that are/want to get into the use of grain are anything like i was when i got into Partial Mashing (not that long ago :wink: ) then it's best to keep the first few brews as simple as possible don't you think ?

Cheers

Yard

GOOD BREWS
yardglass

Postby rwh » Wednesday Jun 20, 2007 10:14 am

Yeah, you'll survive without a protein rest. Get a few less points of efficiency, and some additional chill haze, but for the beginner, who cares, it'll still be better than kits! :)

There are a whole bunch of other rests too, I did an AG lager the other day, one of Charlie Papazian's recipes and he had a rest before the diastatic rest, it was around 56°C, so I guess it was a protein rest. :lol: Now I've shown how much I know. :oops:

I had to do a couple of decoctions to raise the temperature because I didn't quite hit them first time. :?

Anyway, the wikipedia article tells me:

Temp Enzyme Breakdown
40°C β-Glucanase β-Glucan
50°C Protease Protein
62°C β-Amylase Starch
72°C α-Amylase Starch
w00t!
rwh

Postby mobydick » Friday Aug 10, 2007 4:07 pm

Hi Ya Timmy,

I'm about to do the same thing as you basically. I'm using a weizen recipe that I got off the Grain n Grape site. I'm going the Partial road.

http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/BeerOTMonth/weizen.htm

The recipe calls for German Pilsner malt, but because the Wheat Malt is Crystal, I've substituted Weyerman Carapils to make it simpler (hope thats not a big faux par)

Base Malt - 1.5kg Light Barley Malt Extract (i'm using LDME)
1.5kg Light Wheat Malt Extract (I'm using Coopers liquid wheat malt)
Mini mash grains - 700gms German Pilsner Malt (Carapils for me)
300gms German Crystal Wheat Malt
Put half a litre of cold water in a saucepan and add grains and heat up VERY SLOWLY (over a 25 to 30 minute period) until just short of boiling. Strain the liquid into a saucepan for the boil, and discard the grain residue.

Add some bittering hops to the boil to get about 15 IBU (I've chosen Perle for this)

I am going to use Wyeast 3333, for its higher flocculation. Which reminds me I need to do culture and six way split with the smack pack tonight!!
What do you think Timmy? I plan to do it in the next few days. :wink:
mobydick

Postby Trough Lolly » Friday Aug 10, 2007 10:29 pm

rwh wrote:Yeah, you'll survive without a protein rest. Get a few less points of efficiency, and some additional chill haze, but for the beginner, who cares, it'll still be better than kits! :)

Hazy wheat beer = Traditional wheatbeer!

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Return to Grain brewing