First Partial Mash

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

First Partial Mash

Postby grabman » Thursday Mar 24, 2005 6:23 pm

Well the time has come to attempt a partial mash! I hope I've got this right;
steep grains in water at around 70c for 60 min, strain and boil for another 60 min then cool. Place beer tin in fermenter, add cool boiled liquid, check temp pitch yeast and wait!

Next part I'm after a wheat style brew to try has anyone got a tried a true sure fire dead simple recipe for me?

Yeah I know there's heaps but why reinvent the wheel, hopefully a genius here will put ne on right path!

Happy Easter guys!! (if it's your thing, if not no offence meant)

Grabman
Some people say I have a drinking Problem....
I drink, I get drunk, I fall over....
What's the problem?

http://www.brodiescastlebrewing.com/
grabman

Postby keat » Thursday Mar 24, 2005 7:09 pm

Hi grab,
based on feedback given in this forum, you'll probably want to rinse with more hot water after straining. There are some additional sugar still stucked in the spent grains. I boiled my beer tin malt together with the steeped wort as well.

See this topic for more info on rinsing:
http://www.homebrewandbeer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=492
keat

Postby Shaun » Thursday Mar 24, 2005 8:06 pm

Grab I have also just tried my first partial mash brew (will be kegged tomorrow). I following the HBS instructions stepped grain for 30 min in water that had just come off the boil then rinsed the grains with hot water a couple of times to remove any sugars stuck in the grain as advised here. Then boiled this and brewed the rest as normal.

As I said will be kegged tomorrow and has a fantastic grainy taste out of the fermenter I can't wait to taste this one, it has been awhile since that was the case. I will let you know after it is gassed what its like.
Shaun

Postby Hrundi V Bakshi » Thursday Mar 24, 2005 10:56 pm

There are many paths into the partial mash. Come to know your grains and the enzymes will do your bidding.

Many grains require no mashing and can be steeped. Mashing entails accurate temperatures for conversion of starch into sugars.

Some grains do not require this precision and can be steeped as easily as a plunger of the finest Indian tea then added to boiled extract. If you wish to learn, Mr google is your friend.

Changes of temperature as little as 1 degree can change the character of the finished beer. 70°C will make very thick wort from base malts in a mash. It is fine for crystal or dark malts to be added to extract or kits isn't it.

I have many many part mashes made with base malt and crystal and extract and hops and happily will answer your respectful questions about which.

When one is a struggling artist, one has much time for pondering the gifts of bacchus.
Hrundi V Bakshi

Postby Dogger Dan » Friday Mar 25, 2005 4:08 am

Hrundi

Does Mr. Sellers know about this?

:wink:

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby gregb » Friday Mar 25, 2005 8:21 am

...the finest Indian tea...

:D :D What if you've always prefered China tea? :D :D
gregb

Postby Dogger Dan » Friday Mar 25, 2005 8:29 am

Oh how I hate it when the set blows up :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby grabman » Friday Mar 25, 2005 11:17 am

thanks guys, all I have to do now is wait for Easter weekend to be over, the new guy at my nearest HBS is taking the weekend off for family time.

However I must say since he took over the HBS it has improved out of sight, the guy actually knows what he's on about, unlike prevous owner who was a complete moron!!
What's the problem?

grabman

Postby Evo » Friday Mar 25, 2005 6:23 pm

Good luck with your first partial mash Grab. As one who popped his cherry on partial mash about 2 months ago, some advise - don't buy one of those coolite eskies that one HBS guy offloaded to me to steep in (they leak like a sieve), have everything you think you are going to need at hand (just like when you do an extract brew), prepare to make a mess (I used a porter kit on one of mine and ended up with black sh!t everywhere), and prepare to taste the best beer you've brewed.

Let us know how you go with your wheat beer recipe. I might give one a bash myself next.
Evo - Part Man, Part Ale
Evo

Postby Dogger Dan » Friday Mar 25, 2005 11:14 pm

Go grab go.

As I have nothing really to do this weekend and 25 kg of grain arriving, I will flash one up with you, in spirit kind of.

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby grabman » Friday Apr 01, 2005 12:01 am

Sorry Dogger, been slack, haven't got to brewing yet!

This weekend is it, I've got:
Coopers BrewMaster Wheat Beer Kit
1kg Munich Grains
GOing to use Coopers kit yeast

Do I need any extra light malt or will grains give enough?

Even acquired a new thermometer to check temp, dropped old one yesterday! As well as a 10L Esky to do the partial in, no manifold yet Dogger, I'll get to that later.

Saturday will be the day, all is in readiness and my Red Ale will be drinkable by then so have a nice (hopefully) beer for brewing by :P
What's the problem?

grabman

Postby db » Friday Apr 01, 2005 9:22 am

grabman,

i'd probly add 500g-1kg of DME in your recipe..
i'd advise you check out beersmith - http://www.beersmith.com a very handy tool if you wanna mess around with grain & hops..
db

Postby Dogger Dan » Friday Apr 01, 2005 10:32 am

Grab,

http://www.beertools.com/

I use this for recipie calcs as an approximation, Its free and you can E-Mail yourself a copy of the recipe. I wanted to plug in yours but didn't get the chance.

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby grabman » Friday Apr 01, 2005 6:49 pm

Cheers Dogger, just had a quick look, some cool features, however wasn't exactly sure where to enter everything especially as the Coopers kits aren't in the lists .

Off now to do the deed!

Have been thinking though, bloody dangerous I know!

I might get the missus to sew up for me a mash bag out of muslin/calico that I can put in bottom of esky, fill with grains and then mash. When ready to sparge can just lift out of liquid in bottom and sparge with water then add all liquid to pot to boil! Not today though, but worth a thought!
What's the problem?

grabman

Postby grabman » Friday Apr 01, 2005 9:03 pm

yeah me again,

Well brew is cooling before pitching yeast.

Mashed grain at 68C for 75 min in esky then sparged with 3L hot water in strainer, added 500g Light Malt extract and Coopers Wheat kit, heated for further 20 min. Volume at this point 5L.

Added to fermenter with extra water to 23L, SG of 1032 @ 32C, corrected to 1036 (would that be right?)

Now waiting for temp to drop to 24C so I can pitch yeast starter made yesterday!

Does that sound about right, bloody nervous at this stage :!: :!:
What's the problem?

grabman

Postby Dogger Dan » Friday Apr 01, 2005 9:56 pm

Sure,

It will be fine.

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby Oliver » Saturday Apr 02, 2005 12:05 pm

Grab,

Temp correction sounds correct.

See http://www.homebrewandbeer.com/forum/vi ... t=574#5405

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby grabman » Saturday Apr 09, 2005 5:53 pm

Just thought I fire this up again and let you all know it worked :!: :!:

Just cracked the keg on my partial and it's a ripper, light golden colour with a smooth but crisp finish. A great session beer I think 8)

might have to enjoy a few over the footy tonight;

Go FREO :!:
What's the problem?

grabman

Postby Dogger Dan » Saturday Apr 09, 2005 10:20 pm

Another happy conversion.

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby grabman » Saturday Apr 09, 2005 11:46 pm

Well th beer is still great!!

shame the footy was crap, f$%&^$%(ng Eagles!!!

Sorry Dogger, to explain, in the local game AFL game on Perth my team lost to the chardonnay swilling bunch from the other side of the river. Just good old fashioned local rivalry is all. nothing left to do now but drink more beer :cry: :cry:
What's the problem?

grabman

Next

Return to Grain brewing